1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Upgrading...what should be the next step

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by MandyHan, Aug 18, 2006.

1. MandyHan

MandyHan Well-Known Member

So I have two Yamaha floor speakers (777 model that retailed for 300 each), a $200 center channel, and some leftover home theater in a box speakers for surrounds. Oh yeah, and I have a 900 series Sony receiver from about 4 years ago.

I think the floor speakers and center channel are sufficient, so I guess its the surrounds and receiver I am most concerned about. Am I going to be happier with a Yamaha receiver? I think between surround speakers and a receiver, I'd like to spend around 1000-1200.

Lemme know what you think...thanks

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Well-Known Member

You didn't mention having a subwoofer. If you don't have a sub, that should be your first priority. If you do, what kind?

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Well-Known Member

John
    With the receiver being Sony, that would DEFINITELY be the very next thing I replaced.

4. Brian_cyberbri

Brian_cyberbri Well-Known Member

1000-1200 is a lot of money for an upgrade.

I agree. Take that budget and get a nice sub ($400-600) and a nice receiver ($300-400, you can find good deals on refurbs). Maybe some smaller surround speakers as well in that budget.

After that, the next $1000 could go towards new mains and center and you'd be set.

5. MandyHan

I actually have a pretty decent yamaha sub that I was happy with. I have to pick it up in Michigan next week, so I'll find out from there if I'm still happy with it.

I think the Sony Receiver is the next thing to go though.

Can someone link me to good surround recommendations? I was looking at some Polks off Crutchfield, but I wonder since my floor speakers are so much bigger if it makes a difference.

thanks

6. Arthur S

Mandy

Please take a look at these surround speakers. What I really like about them is that they can be switched from direct radiators to bipoles, to dipoles. This covers all the bases for surround applications. The company also has a 45 day return policy that is very generous.

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...item=c1s300ZZZ

7. MandyHan

So the switch is on the speakers that I would switch if I was going from say watching a DVD to playing music?

8. Arthur S

That is exactly right.

9. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Well-Known Member

IMHO, see if you can buy some bookshelf speaks made with the same drivers as your floor speaks... Having the same general "sound" all the way around _really_ makes a difference (been there, done that...). I think that'd give you the biggest bang for your buck sonically... Next, I'd look toward a better AVR.

10. MandyHan

I'll probably get the rear surrounds and floor speakers at the same time. Just curious, how crappy are Sony receivers. This one was about 500 and after getting it I heard it has quite of bit of distortion, but I bought it at the time because the other stuff I had (400 disc changer, dvd) were Sony as well.

Is there anything wrong with getting Yamaha. I guess the others I'm looking at are Denon and HK.

11. RichardH

RichardH Well-Known Member

Denon, HK, Yamaha, those are all fine brands for receivers, and a step up from your old Sony (model dependent of course). Of those three I like Denon. You might also give Onkyo a look, they have very solid receivers in the $300-$500 range.