What's new

Upgrading...what should be the next step (1 Viewer)

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator
So I have two Yamaha floor speakers (777 model that retailed for 300 each), a $200 center channel, and some leftover home theater in a box speakers for surrounds. Oh yeah, and I have a 900 series Sony receiver from about 4 years ago.

I think the floor speakers and center channel are sufficient, so I guess its the surrounds and receiver I am most concerned about. Am I going to be happier with a Yamaha receiver? I think between surround speakers and a receiver, I'd like to spend around 1000-1200.

Lemme know what you think...thanks

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
You didn't mention having a subwoofer. If you don't have a sub, that should be your first priority. If you do, what kind?

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator
1000-1200 is a lot of money for an upgrade.

I agree. Take that budget and get a nice sub ($400-600) and a nice receiver ($300-400, you can find good deals on refurbs). Maybe some smaller surround speakers as well in that budget.

After that, the next $1000 could go towards new mains and center and you'd be set.

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator
I actually have a pretty decent yamaha sub that I was happy with. I have to pick it up in Michigan next week, so I'll find out from there if I'm still happy with it.

I think the Sony Receiver is the next thing to go though.

Can someone link me to good surround recommendations? I was looking at some Polks off Crutchfield, but I wonder since my floor speakers are so much bigger if it makes a difference.

thanks

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator
So the switch is on the speakers that I would switch if I was going from say watching a DVD to playing music?

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
IMHO, see if you can buy some bookshelf speaks made with the same drivers as your floor speaks... Having the same general "sound" all the way around _really_ makes a difference (been there, done that...). I think that'd give you the biggest bang for your buck sonically... Next, I'd look toward a better AVR.

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator

I'll probably get the rear surrounds and floor speakers at the same time. Just curious, how crappy are Sony receivers. This one was about 500 and after getting it I heard it has quite of bit of distortion, but I bought it at the time because the other stuff I had (400 disc changer, dvd) were Sony as well.

Is there anything wrong with getting Yamaha. I guess the others I'm looking at are Denon and HK.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Denon, HK, Yamaha, those are all fine brands for receivers, and a step up from your old Sony (model dependent of course). Of those three I like Denon. You might also give Onkyo a look, they have very solid receivers in the $300-$500 range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks