What's new

Universal's Spartacus (1 Viewer)

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Oliver,
I think we agree that the HD of "Spartacus" is definitely not the great jump in quality compared with the SD and HD of "Grand Prix" for example.After just running a few comparisons between the HD and the Criterion, I still think there is an appreciable jump in quality with the HD,but perhaps not as much as there should have been !

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

John,

we definitely can agree that there is an appreciable improvement in overall picture quality.
It is just that while this is the best version of the movie IMO it falls so short of what it could be that it's a very big disappointment overall.

And I think we need to be vocal about these things because let's face it - Universal dropped the ball on this one (and The Big Lebowski by the way) and they will not make a second version if nobody complains.

And it is not just about Spartacus - this will also help to make clear to studios that the customers will not want classics in ANY kind of quality but that we want them to make an effort. I hope that Sony understands this and will do justice to Lawrence, that Weinstein will pony up a nice version of at least El Cid for us to enjoy in HD and Universal better get those Hitchcock classics right when they release them :)

Flemming.K

Stunt Coordinator

I, for one, am not chipping in on this, just as I didn't with Fifth Element. On HD, they have to deliver the goods and this sure doesn't.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Exactly. Unfortunately I got Spartacus when it was released and before screenshots and adequately critical reviews were posted - call it impatience :)
Would i have gotten it with what I know now about how it looks ? Probably not.

If somebody really wants to watch Spartacus right now I would still recommend it as a rental if he has HD-DVD playback capability, but that's it.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I agree and there is also no excuse for not having ANY extra features on this release. I mean they didn't even bother to drag out Laurent Bouzereau to do one of his patented cookie cutter making ofs. I mean at least it would have been SOMETHING!

Doug

john a hunter

Screenwriter

We are certainly in agreement over the above and Spartacus.When I think how long we have had to wait for what will be, hopefully ,an acceptable dvd of El Cid,you have to be concerned has to what the Studios will dish up.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Yep, shoddy quality AND no extras - nice way from Universal to show us how much they care. I am not that concerned about extras though when it comes to movies I have from Criterion - they're hard to beat in that regard and that's why I keep my Criterion of Spartacus.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
El Cid, as an independent production, needs to be properly preserved, with no elements created.

RAH

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Very true, my last information pointed to the old digibeta masters as the probable source material Weinstein wanted to use for the DVD's.

Obviously being involved in film preservation and restoration of large format films for some time now you have far more insights into these matters than most, so I'd like to hear your thoughts on this:

Do you think that in the current ownership and distributor situation there is any chance at all of the Bronston movies including El Cid being preserved by going back to the original negatives ?

Thanks !

Oliver

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I was not overwhelmed with the extras on the Criterion of Spartacus. This is not to say that they were bad, I was just expecting more some how.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I thought El Cid was restored with financial assistance of Martin Scorsese and released by Miramax in 93 I believe it was. At least thats the way it was advertised in 93 when I saw it in a theater in 70mm.

Doug

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

I know about the 'restoration' but I am pretty sure it was not done from the original negative and they only struck 35 mm print(s). Not surprising as I seem to remember that the print was oiginating from a 35 mm IN.

Oliver

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

I have to say the Ustinov-interview alone was worth the price of admission - he was hilarious and also very insightful.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Oh I agree Ustinov always steals the show whenever he is on camera either in character or being himself.

My only problem with some of the Criterion extra features, is that I feel more like I'm in a college film appreciation class than watching some good behind the scenes material. And I don't mean that in a good way. Often times for older films where the filmmakers are dead, they get some professor from some southern California university discussing the deep inner meaning that he has discovered in the film, like some bad cable access college extension course.

It just makes me want to turn it off.

This is not to say that all of them are like that. Some of them are really great. I love the commentary on Charade.

Doug

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Time to bring this up after almost a year and with Universal rolling out their first Blu-Ray discs.

Are there any news regarding this movies' appearance on Blu-Ray with a new and improved transfer ?

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I have to say, with recent films like the "Mummy" trilogy getting new masters--even if it is for tie-in purposes--and with both Universal and Criterion on board with Blu-ray, there has to be either an existing HD master or the resources to create one.

Sadly, other than the release of the Trumbo biopic later this year, I don't see a market opportunity for Universal doing anything before the 50th anniversary in 2010.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

I agree, 2010 ain't too bad and I'd rather like to see Universal getting things right this time than to rush things.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks