What's new

TV under $800, 48" or 50" 1080p recommendations (1 Viewer)

Valerie Brown

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking for a new tv. 48" or 50". It would be for watching movies and sports. I do not game. Flesh tones and natural looking colors are very important. I looked at an LG 43" 1080p, vizio 48" 1080p. The yellows on both were harsh to look at flourescent colors on steroids, oranges and greens were bad also.

I have not bought a new tv in 15 years. I have a Sony 27" tv. It weighs about 80 lbs.

What would you recommend?

Valerie

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
"Vivid Mode", which is how store displays are setup...

Create exagerrated color. Once home and set up, LCD can produce decent pictures. Too bad you didn't need a TV at "the end of plasma".

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

As schan noted, you won’t find many TV’s set up properly in the stores. Next time you go, see if they’ll let you have the remote. Go into the Video menu and look for color temperature settings. Set it for “Warm” or “Low” (nomenclature differs from brand to brand) and see if it doesn’t look better then. By comparison, at that point whites should look white and not pale blue, as they do with the color temperature set to high (e.g. the “Vivid” mode schan mentioned). Might also check that the Brightness and Contrast settings aren’t too high. About 50% is a good starting point. After these adjustments you should be better able to judge the color quality.

You might also want to check some of the reviews on TVs and Sound and Vision’s website.

Good luck, and happy shopping!

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks