What's new

TV Guide Acquires TVShowsonDVD.com (1 Viewer)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I agree with Helena. If any website starts to get spammy with the pop-ups and spyware stuff, I stop visiting. I like a site with content, not fancy pictures everywhere. For example, I hate what they have done with Yahoo. It now looks like AOL. I used to go to Yahoo sports for my sports news. Now I can't find the content among all the ads and graphics.

Gord, please don't make your site look and act like AOL!! Keep the pictures/multimedia stuff to a minimum like you have now.

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Gord,

>John, do you mean a section that highlights upcoming "Season 1" sets, or >specifically sets for shows that have just started airing in the past few >years?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I've stayed out of Commenting but I'll throw in my 2 cents, first congrats to Gord and Dave, obviously this will be rewarding them for all the hard work over the years. They Deserve it. But I still cannot say I look forward to this. I'm really tired of Huge conglomerates buying out sites and ruining them, TV Guide bought out TV.Com and that site was much better and more intimate before. And Viacom is on their way to ruining YouTube. So while I'm happy for the guys I despire as a user of the site that really hates how corporate the internet is becoming.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to also express my congrates to the guys at DVDShowsonDVD, Gord and Dave! Good luck with the transition and how the future of the site will evolve in your vision!

I am curious what happened to TV.com? I saw the earlier posts, but I don't know what tv.com was like before it was bought. I do go there now for episode synopsis info. It's an okay site. Thanks!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Gord,

Good points here. Thanks for the info. I have "Shogon" and it does indeed look great. That's one of my all-time favorite miniseries. I wasn't aware of the history behind that one (said to never be released).

I wonder what criteria the studios look at for their release schedules? Your examples are well-placed, with MTM & Miami Vice and the long delays between season releases. There doesn't seem to be a consistant pattern to these TV/DVD release schedules. That's probably the one factor that's the toughest to swallow for collectors.

"Wanted...", I hope that's a trend to come. Do the smaller independents typically produce the same quality xfrs that the "big dogs" do?

Careful... (Bionic series example :) )....we "Bionic Series Fanatics" are everywhere lurking the 'net for news :D Speaking of...do you think that there may be another reason, other than the rights issues, that's delaying an R1 release for these? According to Richard Anderson and Lindsay, it's being delayed by the legal logjam: "Cyborg" novel rights (held by Dimension) vs Uni, which owns the actual film rights. It would be interesting to discover if that's been resolved or will be done by this summer, and Uni's looking at a tie-in release with the summer 6M$M movie release. "As the DVD World Turns" Pt 6mil :D

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I would like to see more info on why shows are and aren't being released on dvd. Until Paul Prownstein mentioned it, I had no idea that Dobie gillis was being held up by the Max Shulman estate. What is the story on Batman? Is Warner the real hold up? What is the story on Man From UNCLE? Again I find it hard to believe that AB would have gone as far as they did without checking out the documentation. Is Warner using their deep pockets and the courts to steal something they don't own? With Universal's decision to license
McHale's Navy and Ironside, are they realizing that their reputation among tv enthusiasts is mud? I know you can't get a definitive answer but I would be interested in what differentl sides are saying unofficially and what facts are out there.

LeonaB

Stunt Coordinator
First and foremost, congratulations Gord and Dave! You created a fantastic website and deserve to be rewarded.

I must admit, my initial reaction was "OH NO!!!" But I guess I'll take a wait and see attitude on where the site goes from here.

I agree with others who've said that they hope the site remains less graphics-intensive. My poor old dial-up connection can't handle those sites and I wind up giving up on them. I also agree that I'd like to get more detailed information on upcoming releases and why things don't get released. I get nothing out of the "it's not on the schedule" standard stuff, but I'd be very interested to have an honest evaluation of DVD releases. Along those lines, maybe you might be able to do chats with TV on DVD execs. At the very least, take questions straight to the execs from the readers. I always look forward to the WB chats that HTF does, but I'd really prefer chats strictly devoted to the TV side of things.

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator
I see a lot of good ideas for the site throughout the thread. I, personally, hope that this somehow might lead to the "reinstatement" of the alterations/changes/edits list and information.

serenapowell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Serena

Me too. :frowning: I feel a little better knowing Gord is so accessible and open to feedback though. There were some moderators on the old TV Tome who made empty promises that things wouldn't change too much and they'd listen to our concerns, blah blah, but the actual owner who sold the site, never confronted the angry mobs. ;) Not that I recall, anyway. Hi, Gord! We know where you "live", buddy. (Er, not really, but we know which forums you hang out in) :D

P.S. I agree with whoever said they'd like to see more DVD reviews (by the pros, only!) ....I often check TVShowsonDVD.com for the latest TV boxset I want, to see if there are any problems, but more often than not, it hasn't been reviewed there. 'Course, I can usually find info here at HTF or SitcomsOnline.

P.P.S. That reminds me ...please do reinstate the alterations list! It might piss off the studios who don't want us to know about cuts, music replacements, etc, because they're afraid it'll hurt their sales. But consumers deserve to know exactly what they're getting...and not getting. Main reason I read DVD reviews is to find out what's been altered. I usually end up buying the darn thing anyway, but I like to be prepared for my DVD disappointments. Takes some of the sting off. :)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

I second that. There is a reason I never, ever buy a TV show DVD until someone I trust has reviewed it with running times and music informations as well as picture and sound quality.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Haven't heard any mention of it yet, but with TV Guide having the TV Guide channel, with a lot of original programming, any chance of seeing the guys on there?

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Congrats and I hope this works out for the best. Thank heavens you did not sellout to cnet like tvtome and dvdspot. It seems like a lot of places I go on the internet are changing, being bought up, shutting down. One thing that seems to happen is things try to get flashy and in doing so, wind up hard to load on my slow connection. I like the simple easy to load and see look tvshowsondvd. I would hate for that to change. If you get a database of videos and high res pics, please do not clutter the pages with them trying to load automatically, or if you must, please provide the one reading the site with the ability to choose not to display such things unless asked. I am thinking of imdb's recent changes, it is flashy and all those pics that try to load take too long and slow down the access of the information I seek. tvtome looked better than tv.com and dvdspot looks better than filmspot. I know this situation is different but I was never really enamored of tvguide's website. Hopefully some of your influence will rub off on them.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, I'm in NYC right now meeting with everyone at TV Guide (not this second, but earlier today and tomorrow). I showed them the link to HTF, and someone caught the "TV Guide" title in the forum, so we quickly read some of the earlier posts in the thread (I was demoing the site to a group of about 12 people that head up various things at TV Guide). They're also going to start advertising the site, trying to drive more traffic its way, and getting new users signed up. That's going to result in more information to take to the studios.

As for other integration with TV properties - I think that'll come, but it's more likely to happen with the magazine than the TV channel.

Gord

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator
I would not like to see a "jump the shark" catagory because I think that would discourage people from buying later seasons of shows, thus hampering their chances of being completed.

Instead of a list of "abandoned shows", how about, simply, a list of most requested shows "started but not yet completed." That way the list would not be affected by shows coming back from the dead. Shows would only drop off the list once they are completed.

Also how about providing a link so that we can see the top 100 or so on these lists instead of just the top ten?

LCD22

Screenwriter

Tony S, this would be a great idea. Gord, any chance we could see this added to the site? And good luck in NYC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks