TV Guide Acquires TVShowsonDVD.com

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Patrick.C, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

But the story in question is NOT a press release.

Here's my problem with the posting. It was posted in the "latest news" section, under the "site news" heading. And it was not until someone clicked on the link that it was made clear that it was a paid advertisement. That is the point. Gord and TVGuide can sell all the ads they want to keep the site free for users. But putting the advertisements in the news section is wrong. News is news, an advertisement is an advertisement (or advertorial, whatever they want to call it). Sell all the ads you want, just keep them separate from the news items. That's all I ask for - don't try to pass off an advertisement as news.

2. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    I agree that it should not have been labeled as "Site News". It should have been at least listed as Banacek news. If it had been, it would be no different than the other press releases they inform us about.

3. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I think the other problem (for myself, at least) is that it was on the "TV Guide" DVD label. Had this same type of "advertorial" appeared for a release from any other company, it might have stung just a bit less...

4. Corey3rd

Corey3rd Screenwriter

I've plenty of things like that as part of press release packages.

5. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Guys, this was the first time something like this was done, and the feedback from regular users of the website is invaluable. Because it was the first time, I didn't know the "best" way to post it, so it went us as "site news," which is what we use for news we don't tie to a specific show. Thanks to the feedback of a few users, future Advertorials will appear in a special section on the front page called "Advertorial," and can be easily skipped if you want to.

I've said this many times - if you see something on the site that you don't like, email me and suggest how to make it better. I have a weekly conference call with my boss in NYC, and we talk about various things, including feedback from the users of the site. Once I received a couple of complaints about the advertorial showing up as a news item I emailed my boss and suggested that I create a new section so it's not a problem for the future (afterall, *I* was the one that posted it as a news item in the first place), and she agreed right away.

It's easy to point fingers at TV Guide and blame them for anything and everything that changes on the site, but I was the one that posted it as a news item, TV Guide simply asked me to post it to the site. This wasn't intended to trick people into reading it, I just hadn't come up with a better way to post it to the site until after I received feedback from users.

So, for everyone who provided feedback on this, thanks!

Gord

6. Katherine_K

Katherine_K Second Unit

Thank you for the response Gord, I feel much better about this entire thing now that I've seen your response.

7. docdoowop

docdoowop Second Unit

Thanks for being open about it, Gord. The site continues to be my main source for information on the subject.

8. John Carr

John Carr Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Gord for your prompt and helpful response. We TVShowsonDVD addicts love this site and would hate to see it lose it's unique flavor and helpfulness.

It's my first web destination every morning, right after the coffee pot!

John

9. nikkif99uk

nikkif99uk Supporting Actor

I wish I had the resources and time to set up a R2 version of the site but wouldn't know where to begin. TVshowsondvd.com is just an amazing site