What's new

TV Guide Acquires TVShowsonDVD.com (1 Viewer)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I've thought long and hard about creating a list of the dead, or abandoned releases, but decided that it wouldn't be a good thing. When do we decide a show is "dead" on DVD? Mary Tyler Moore was considered dead after one season, only to return 3 years later with another 3 box sets. Miami Vice didn't get a set out last year, and some thought that Universal was done with the show, but now we have 2 sets coming on the same day.

By publishing a list like that I'd worry that we would be contributing to the death of certain shows. I've heard rumors that other "dead" shows are being considered again (no, I won't talk about the titles), but if fans were told "it's dead" then the resurrection of those titles wouldn't even be a possibility. This is one of the reasons studios never say a series is dead, they say "it's not on the schedule at this time." I remember Martin Blythe from Paramount saying that "Shogun" would NEVER be released on DVD due to the cost associated with remastering the material. Well, Shogun was released, and it looked great.

There's something else that hasn't really been explored yet, but will start to be, is companies licensing a "failed" show to a smaller company. I have a news item that I'll be posting in a little bit that illustrates this perfectly. A larger studio (NewLine) released the first season of "Wanted: Dead or Alive" but has no interest in finishing it due to poor sales. Now BCI will release the second season of the show this spring. So if this title made "the list" then fans may have sold their copies of season 1, only to realize that season 2 (and most likely season 3) are coming out. I hope that this is the start of more deals like this, and we can see smaller companies pick up the abandoned shows from the larger studios.

Of course there are some titles that we could do research on, like Bionic Woman, and Six Million Dollar Man, where there are holdups to having the first season released. I think it would be interesting to try to dig up the reasons, the real reasons, those aren't out on DVD, but are out in Region 2. And we've heard so many things about Batman, I'd like to find out what the real story is and whether there's a way around it. The studios would have to co-operate on some of those stories, and there's nothing forcing them to do that.

Hey, hey, that episode hasn't aired yet. Don't judge the content from the episode title alone ;)

Gord

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I agree... the last thing we need is all the stuff that you can get on 100s of other sites (Episode lists/guides, cast info and such). We need real news and info that effects what we are so passionate about. I would also love to see stuff like interviews and behind the scenes info on TV Shows on DVD!

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick

First off congrats, Gord and Dave.
Gord- I like that idea about dead and abandoned shows because half the ones I want are dead and abandoned lol. Any news, or professional opinions on Kojak and Quincy etc I am thumbs up for. It will give us that extra bit of hope for the shows we love most to being released. I would REALLY look forward to that, if you did it. And I mean REALLY (hence capitals :P)
Thanks,
Nick

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
:eek: Wow! Congratulations to Gord and my friend Dave Lambert!

What a terrific thing it is to see two fellas who have pumped so much of their hearts and souls into a venture succeed and move forward.

Its funny how people are always quick to expect the worst in a situation involving change. People should just hope for the best and, as Gord himself has made clear, continue to let them know if there's something they would like to see added or complain if they see things headed in a direction they don't like.

To think what the added resources of an organization like TV Guide might mean for expanded content on tvshowsondvd.com might mean!!! The idea of getting further access into the studios to get answers into the decision-making that goes on with the release of TV shows on DVD is exciting! How many times have we wondered about why some studios haven't released a certain title or have stopped production of another title mid-release? The partnership with TV Guide might just open some doors for Gord and Dave that had otherwise been closed. All the scenarios that Gord cited in post #41 could really be a breakthrough for tvshowsondvd.com.

Anyway...continued success to you fellas. You have been a class act all the way.

ethanTo

Stunt Coordinator
Congrats to you guys for your tireless efforts and your success!

I'm concerned like the rest of the folks, but will just wait to see what happens. As far as "videos & contests," my concern there is that while I have nothing against videos and promotions, I would be careful about doing a site overhaul that ends up too slick and glossy, bloated and aggravating (TV.com is such a good example, it's almost impossible not to make the comparison). TVShowsondvd.com has a simple, quick-loading, low-intensity, here's-the-content approach to interface that makes sites like wikipedia, google, and even to an extent youtube so approachable. When I do have to go to TV.com for something, I feel overwhelmed by the visual nonsense, especially those huge AWFUL background images that they put behind the content area every once in a while, the myriad of buttons and windows where text would have done just fine.. as you make the transition, try to keep the re-design (and where the news is available) familiar and accessible to the current user base please!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm happy/surprised there is only a few indie rock wannabes screaming "Sell out!" about this.

Congrats on what I presume is a financial windfall and a new higher profile. :) You guys have a great site and deserve all the success you get.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Congrats Gord and Dave! I imagine you're both still celebrating.
I'm not one bit concerned that the site will be negatively impacted by the acquisition. You can continue to count on my (at least) twice daily visits.

A warning, though: Since TVGuide's acquisition of Jump the Shark, Jon Hein has gained over 40 pounds. Be careful! Also, a song parody was written about him after he signed the deal. Be nice, or we might have to write one about you.

He's a rich nerd
Because of TV Guide Jon Hein's now a friggin' millionaire
He sold Jump The Shark and you know what's funny?
The great big dork now has f*** you money!
He's a rich nerd
A rich nerd
Yeah, he's a rich nerd

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Congrats to Gord and Dave -- although, like many others I experienced a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach upon reading your post on the buyout...

Let's hope "this" buyout is the exception that proves the rule.

In regards to what I'd like to see on the site: thanks to TV on DVD (like so many others) I no longer watch ANY network/cable TV. Therefore, I depend 100% on this site and Home Theatre Forum for my blind buys.

What I would like to see (that no one else is doing in a dedicated forum) is a section of the menu devoted to new TV shows (both pro and con) so that I can budget my spending for the fall, when the networks release most of their 'new' shows on DVD. (Unlike many of the Boring Old Farts out there, I find many of the new shows better than the majority of the oldies but goodies.)

This would be a most VALUABLE resource for myself, and -- I suspect -- many others.

Keep up the great work!

John

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
John, do you mean a section that highlights upcoming "Season 1" sets, or specifically sets for shows that have just started airing in the past few years?

Gord

Katherine_K

Second Unit
This is only a half formed thought so I'm not so sure how to word it, but it would be useful to me to have a way for people to maybe vote on a "if you liked this you might like "X" series" and have say the top five or ten vote getters at the buttom of show information so people who say...

Liked NYPD Blue might get a suggestion to look at Homicide or the Shield

or

Liked CSI might get a suggestion to check out Bones or NCIS

or

Liked ER might get a suggestion for Emergency and Grays Anatomy.

I think one of the strengths of the site is user imput and it might make some of us aware of shows in the genres we like that we may not have heard of before.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Katherine, that's something I've wanted to have for awhile. I think I'd have to pull in all the people that have voted for X show, then pull in all the shows they've voted for as a group, then pull the most popular shows out of there and display them on the page. I think I could probably do the same thing for DVD releases.

Gord

Katherine_K

Second Unit
Gord,

See, you are more awake than I am. Yes, that's exactly what I'm thinking. The concern I would have is someone going through and recommending their favorite show for everything.... but I trust you to be able to spot that sort of thing like you have with the TV Show voting.

I always have a little bit of amusement every time a Harry Potter movie comes out because my amazon wish list starts saying things like "You bought The Battle of Algiers, you might like Harry Potter and the Attack of the Killer Tomatos."

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
I have almost no interest in movies.

The most annoying thing about TV Guide is reviews of DVD releases of movies, especially when TV on DVD first got going, but the DVD Reviews in TV Guide were 100% about movies.

I do not want to log in to TVShowsOnDVD.com and see a mention of a movie release, DVD or otherwise.

Unless it's a movie based on a TV Show.

People don't buy TV Guide because they're fans of Cathode Ray Tubes! They buy it because they're fans of TV SHOWS!

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

That was when I cancelled my 35+ year TV Guide subscription, when they started putting current theatrical movies on their cover. Kind of like subscribing to a stamp collecting publication that puts coins or baseball cards on the cover.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Dave & Gord:

I found out about your website through USA Today and have been a daily visitor (and contributor, once or twice!) for about the past three years. A HUGE congratulations and "thank you" for all you do for all the TV fanatics out there!

Mike Frezon:

I guess there is hope that "Weekly Round-Up" can get bought up by some company so YOU reap some financial rewards for all YOUR hard work!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

:laugh: Nah! Cuz if there was, Lambert would have figured out how to make that happen a long time before I stumbled along!

But, thanks for the thought, Eric! :emoji_thumbsup:

tjguitar85

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
as long as TV Guide keeps Gord and Dave involved in the running of the site, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Helena

Agent
Real Name
Helen
My main concern is that the site doesn't become an advertisers' haven with endless pop ups and spyware being loaded on my computer. There are many tv show sites I stopped visiting for this reason. Even mugglenet.com (the harry potter website) has this annoying pop up that comes up every time I connect to the site and tries to download some rubbish. I have now stopped visiting it as well.

I do however agree with everyone else suggestions about new content that could be included. Good luck. I wish you both well. I am happy that your website has received the recognition it deserves :)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Congrats and good luck. The one and only thing I would like to see is more reviews! Whether via fans or if you add more staff, please consider this a high priority item, at least for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks