What's new

Tube sub with a twist (1 Viewer)

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
Capsuleri asked me if I'd be interested in doing a tube sub with him. Anxious to try my hand at one, I agreed. His one criteria that made this one a little different was that he needed to be able to lay it on it's side or stand it up, depending on his final room layout and positioning. Several months of tossing ideas and drawings around and we came up with the "Capsuleri Capsule".

Needing a stable platform to use it laying down we decided on an octagonal endcap. A removeable base and legs would allow a vertical or horizontal position. The Tempest would also get a finished grill to protect it while positioned horizontally.

He wanted to line the interior with foam and thought some added bracing would help keep the tubes shape while laying down.

We decided to use maple to make the caps and legs, as he wanted to use a rather nice fabric he found.

He had the tube professionally upholstered using 1/4" foam with the fabric stitched around it. Unfortunately, the upholsterer had no clue how this sub would come together, and cut the fabric kinda short. We decided to use a recess around the caps to trap the fabric and foam, to hide the fabric edge.

Here's the shot of the back of the sub. Notice the heavy duty binding posts that are wired to each voicecoil.

And here's the front.

It's a sealed Tempest, 9 ft^3 fully stuffed. It stands about 58" tall and amazingly, he managed to fit it in his car to get it home, although we had to remove the base and legs.

Pete

Cam S

Screenwriter
Wow, what a friggin monster! I've never seen such a large sub that is sealed, how does that effect the sound and performance of it?? What made you go with such a large sealed box in the first place rather then a ported one?

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
He wanted a sealed sub to mate with his Maggies. I prefer the sound of a sealed sub myself, and have a 16 ft^3 twin Tempest. This one will be ~.55Q considering some Vb increase from stuffing.

Pete

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
That looks really nice! However, I think I would be tempted to paint a big red "STOP" sign on the endcap. :)

JK.. that's a handsome sub.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
And they call it: "The Stop Sign Stomping Water Heater".

jk, it looks well crafted, and I like the proportions.

A

Anthony_Gomez

looks good to me:) .....so...what is my tracking number? I expect that sub to arrive at my place in 3-4 days:D

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
Thanks all. I needed to get the juices going again, and this hit the spot.

Tony,
No way! This is a hobby, damn it. Besides, it'd be cheaper for me to just fly out to the West coast and build it there. ;)

Pete

A

Anthony_Gomez

just make sure you let me know about when you will arrive...would hate to be in the lab while you are waiting outside the apartment!!!:frowning:

....and give a few days of design time in the itenerary.

We need to discuss things like flushmounting my plate amp!!!! I refuse to have anything that doesn't meet my extremely high standards of the best sub in the whole wide world!! :D

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
*OMG OMG!!!!*

How in the world did Tom and Ron figure out how to do a
flush mount plate amp?

I have been working on this for years now. First I went to
Engineers and Scientists and asked how this could be done.
The engineers mumbled all this technical jargon about Radii
being equal to the X Inverse Proportions and I am not the
smartest guy when it comes to math! And the Scientists went
on about Free Radicals and that also confused me greatly.

So I spent the last 6 years in total seclusion while I
geneticaly engineered a new race of Mice that have the
ability to nibble perfect Flush Mount cuts into specialy
picked MDF that has been treated with my proprietary formula
(Read: Peanut Butter).

I wonder if they broke that mathmatical code stuff that I
couldn't figure out?

[/Tongue In Cheek] :D

Tom/Ron if you read this and laugh.. Don't ya think I should at least get a free SVS wall plaque for my effort? :)

A

Anthony_Gomez

"only SVS figured out how to take a state of the art “plate amp” and mount it flush, safe and secure in the nicest looking and best built box subwoofer in the world"

Doh!!!! Damn....Aerial is a fraud!!!!

either, their amp isn't state of the art, the flush mount is an illusion, it isn't safe and secure, it isn't the nicest looking, or isn't the best looking subwoofer box int he world......or maybe a combination!!!!

...you know...the flush mount part being an illusion MUST be it! ;D

http://www.aerialacoustics.com/Products/SW12/SW12.html

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I concluded that flushmounting only reduced the structural integrity of the box to a marginal amount, as it also adds extra work with a router to add unwanted costs. How many subwoofers are positioned with the plate amp facing the listener anyways? And how many people could visibly see that the plate amp isn't flush mounted from the seat, only to have to walk over and then start complaining about it.

I guess one things for sure... After researching the theories behind flush mounting at an infamous bass authority website, I guess I have to try it to find out.

What do you guys think of this 2 horsepower plunge router. I figured the flush mount upgrade is worth the $40 + bits, but don't know if it's worth the cost of getting a quality router.

Thanks,

[rant]why not[/rant]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks