What's new

To Quote Moe: "Oh, Dear God No!" The Next Superman to be... (1 Viewer)

James T

Screenwriter
Darkhorizons said that Boreanez is not
going to play Superman since it conflicts with his Angel schedule.

I'm just curious who starts these wild rumours?
Who knows, maybe when they do start the Superman film, Nic Cage may be the one wearing the tights.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
And then we'd get Lisa Marie Presley playing Lois Lane... :D

Or better yet, dye her hair black, and cast Tea Leoni as Lois Lane, thus allowing the couple to go from "Family Man" to "Superman".

Okay, I'm done for now...

James T

Screenwriter
Okay, I'm done for now...
It's the for now part that has me worried.

It would have been funny to see Kelso as Superman. That girl who plays Jackie could be a nagging Lois. And since Kurtood Smith is already bald, a perfect Lex.

On one episode, they all dressed up like Superheros. Was Kelso Superman? I can't remember.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
David Boreanaz says its a rumor that he got the part. He tested but will be unable to take the role becuase of his Angel schedule.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Aren't these rumors started on purpose for the very reason that people bounce it around and they can "take the pulse" of the fans? I mean, movie making is mostly consensus, marketing and bottom line so this would be a cheap way to do a casting check. Suit releases the next "done deal" and the internet reacts. They spend a week or two reading posts like these, weigh the possibilities, release the offical denial and move on to the next one.

Phil

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes the circumstances aren't lined up right when the offer comes. Remember when Pierce Brosnan was all but tapped to be the next James Bond, only to have to give it up because of Remington Steele obligations?

TV Networks sign their stars to contracts so that they can do long-range planning in terms of personnel. I'd bet the "buy-out" clause for the contracts would be a heavy penalty for most TV actors. But if filming schedules can be accomodated, sometimes things work out, otherwise, it's on to finding the next best candidate for the film.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
I sincerely hope that WB reading this forum.

Oh Waaaaaaarnerrrrrrrrr...

WAIT FOR SMALLVILLE TO END AND CAST TOM WELLING!!!

:D

Moe.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone think Tom Welling is "too" pretty to play Superman? He's fine as "teenage" Clark, but I seriously don't think he's got the acting chops to pull off both Clark and Superman in the adult incarnation.

And what will he really look like when he finds a comb and some hair gel to get that stylish "S" curl going on in his hair? Will it reveal a receding hairline? We can't have that for Superman! :D

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Agreed; I think Welling is well-cast for the teenage Clark Kent, but I've seen nothing from him that would make me think he'll be a believable adult Clark/Superman.

Right now, I'm thinking that if they can get Brendan Fraser, they should. He just throws the right vibe off - big, powerful guy with a charming small-town naivete about him.

Also, if you use Welling, you're almost duty-bound to do firsts: The first time people see Superman, his first meeting with Lois Lane, etc., etc. Richard Donner has already done that; I think they'd be better off starting in media res - Clark & Lois are married, Lex is already his nemesis, Superman has been protecting Metropolis for years - and just telling a good Superman story, rather than doing the origin again.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Fraser as Superman? :thumbsdown:

Maybe they'll add Arnold Vosloo as Lex...

Let Welling play Clark/Supes. So what if this implies that the first new Superman movie would be a retelling of his arrival in Metropolis? It's not like the comics have never gone back to the egg for a fresh look at Supes' origins... And in some cases, it's worked wonderfully.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Fraser as Superman? :thumbsdown:

Maybe they'll add Arnold Vosloo as Lex...
Hey, the current Brendan Fraser movie of record is The Quiet American, so if you're going to do the silly "actors bring their co-stars along" jokes, go with that. I could take Michael Caine as Lex Luthor.

Seriously, though: What gives people the idea that Tom Welling - who has yet to demonstrate much aside from being pleasant and having the right look - would do better than Fraser? Sure, Fraser's done a bunch of goofy roles, but he's also been damn good in Gods & Monsters and The Quiet American, as well as being a passable action hero in the Mummy movies.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Sure, Fraser's done a bunch of goofy roles, but he's also been damn good in Gods & Monsters and The Quiet American, as well as being a passable action hero in the Mummy movies.
"Passable action hero" and "has been damn good in dramatic films"... Hey, that profile fits Steve McQueen, Sean Connery, and Mel Gibson. Wanna see them as Superman too? ;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If they went with Brendan Fraser, they should re-team him with Elizabeth Hurley from Bedazzled to play Lois Lane. :D Anyone else like the idea of Lois with a Brit accent?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Frasier's features are too soft for Superman. A more chiseled face is needed.

--
Holadem

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
"Passable action hero" and "has been damn good in dramatic films"... Hey, that profile fits Steve McQueen, Sean Connery, and Mel Gibson. Wanna see them as Superman too?
No, those guys all give off the wrong vibe - too many rough edges and not enough sincere, small-town guy. But, that's something Fraser does very well indeed, and he's got the range to be convincing in both halves of what is almost a dual role.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks