What's new

To Quote Moe: "Oh, Dear God No!" The Next Superman to be... (1 Viewer)

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I don't buy in a million years that Depp would ever sign to the role. It's well-known that WHOMEVER signs, must do so for multiple films. Depp doesn't commit that long term. Plus, he's not a blockbuster guy, plus his pal Tim Burton was already fired off the project, plus he's getting ready to do Wonka, then team with Benicio for a small film.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
if Clark is still this guy with a rural, small town background -a racially contrasted Lois would be an interesting visual representation of Kents 'world' being enlarged and broadend by the move to the city.
So what, people from the rural Midwest aren't culturally enlightened? In the age of the internet, 24 hour news, and several hundred channel cable, the stix aren't that out of touch.

Count me as another hoping for them to roll Season 4 of Smallville into a Superman motion picture. Have Millar and Gough write it and you'll be set.

If it doesn't work out, Superman: The Movie still stands as a wonderfully definitive interpretation of the character.

Atleast the WB don't appear to be screwing up Batman too badly.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
So what, people from the rural Midwest aren't culturally enlightened? In the age of the internet, 24 hour news, and several hundred channel cable, the stix aren't that out of touch.
I don't think that's what he's saying, but, as someone who grew up in Maine, which is about as homogenous as it gets, I will say that moving to a big city and entering a more diverse population is something to get used to. It's great, but even with all the communications options out there, it's still something outside one's experience, especially since television etc. does tend to present a somewhat skewed view of people.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I still call gimmick :D

Wouldn't be the end of the world if it happens, but here's why I call it a gimmick:

1. They want Beyoncé, a crummy singer and worse actress whose main claim to fame is her looks.

2. Why, of all characters, make Lois black? Gee, I wonder if any of the suits involved told the creative team "say, we envision Lois as theis really sassy-mouthed sista..." Perpetuating stereotypes is NOT progressive, just... Gimmicky.

If there were people of a higher caliber involved in the project, I might be more welcoming of the suggestion, but with this lot? Feh.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
The Smallville show doesn't really have all that much time left--It's young Clark Kent. Sooner, rather than later, he has to leave home and BECOME SUPERMAN. In most tellings of the mythos, this happens in his last year of High School. I don't think "Saved by the Cape: The College Years" will fly too well, pardon the pun.
How are they going to play out the Lex Luthor thing with him knowing Clark before he becomes Superman? When Lex sees Clark in the suit, he'll know it's him, because he doesn't have a mask or anything. Is he going to have to wear a mask now? Or is Lex going to lose his sight and everytime Superman is around him, he'll have to change his voice?

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I have to say this, but whoever came up with that rumor about Depp and Ms. Talentless Thang of the Moment made a truly lame-brained comment to begin with. No way in this life or the next that the fans would ever consider identifying them with Superman. If I came across that guy face to face, I'd have to ask him, "What were you smoking when you thought that up?"

I agree with the earlier post about Depp not being a long-term film project guy, though it may change should Pirates of the Caribbean 2 become a reality and a hit. I recently checked out the DVD of Once Upon a Time in Mexico and enjoyed Depp's role in that film, and I found myself saying, "If they ever make a movie on the life of Shawn Michaels, then Depp would be perfect in that role." But as Superman? Nope. Not by a longshot at best.

The fans are speaking out: let Smallville complete its run, and then port the cast and Gough and Millar over to do the movies. (Then again, I said the same thing 10 years ago about Lois and Clark, and that went nowhere fast.)

James T

Screenwriter
How are they going to play out the Lex Luthor thing with him knowing Clark before he becomes Superman? When Lex sees Clark in the suit, he'll know it's him, because he doesn't have a mask or anything. Is he going to have to wear a mask now? Or is Lex going to lose his sight and everytime Superman is around him, he'll have to change his voice?
I've said it before and I'll say again, this is a fantasy universe. Clark Kent works at the Daily Planet, where reporters are just one step below detectives. And no one knows that Clark Kent without glasses is Superman? If you can beleive that, then you shouldn't have any problem with Lex/Clark, especially since Clark now wears glasses on Smallville.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The Smoking Gun would probably dig up all the dirt on Clark/Supes in the "real" world. :)

So, how about Tony Shaloub as Supes? Can you imagine "SuperMonk"? Haha.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
So Clark wears glasses on Smallville now?
I wonder how they worked that into the script.
Guess I'll find out when I get the Season 3 DVD's SOME DAY.
Sucks to live an area where there's no WB on cable.

Beyonce' has two great talents in front of her and one behind her. ;)

Johny Depp in a movie about the life of Shawn Michaels--I take it not the professional wrestler.

Oh yeah, and please No McG!

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I agree with the earlier post about Depp not being a long-term film project guy, though it may change should Pirates of the Caribbean 2 become a reality and a hit. I recently checked out the DVD of Once Upon a Time in Mexico and enjoyed Depp's role in that film, and I found myself saying, "If they ever make a movie on the life of Shawn Michaels, then Depp would be perfect in that role." But as Superman? Nope. Not by a longshot at best.
Depp would play Luthor, not Superman. I'd really be laughing my ass off if he were to play Superman, but it would never happen, because he would never do it.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Actually, no he doesn't wear them. He had his eyes damaged in one episode and had to wear them briefly, but his eyes eventually healed completely and in the last episode he was without them.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i know and work with people from the midwest, and have worked and spent time there as well.
my best friend is from a small farming town in northeast Iowa, and while people in a city like Des Moines or Minneapolis are 'culturally enlightened', the fact is the small farming communities i've seen are not racially (or culturally) diverse.
like i said, it would be in some part a visual metaphor.

i agree that Beyonce = gimmick.
what i wouldn't mind is being open to a Lois that isn't in the exact physical form of what we've come to know.

the comment i edited out of my earlier ost was, that it would unfortunately bring up controversy because (as i envision her) for some she just wouldn't be 'black enough'.
i wouldn't want a character from a UPN sitcom.

i find the idea interesting.
if the project were being taken seriously as art and story and not as marketing and product, i think intelligent artists could make this a workable concept.
i had every expectation that Smallville would be an enormous POS, and was surprised time and again by how well it was concieved and executed.

if you pared the 2+ seasons of the series down to a 10-16 hr movie, getting rid of all the redundant freak of the week villans, you would have one of the greatest translations of a comic book character to any medium.
the cosmetic changes amount to nothing, because they nailed the spirit of the material.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
if you pared the 2+ seasons of the series down to a 10-16 hr movie, getting rid of all the redundant freak of the week villans, you would have one of the greatest translations of a comic book character to any medium.
the cosmetic changes amount to nothing, because they nailed the spirit of the material.
This much I'll agree on. The mythology arcs of Smallville are some of the best comics adaptations in history. "Rosetta" was one of the great episodes of television, period.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks