What's new

To Quote Moe: "Oh, Dear God No!" The Next Superman to be... (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
IMHO, it's easy finding the next guy to play Superman. It's Clark Kent that's going to be the pain in the butt.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I certainly hope that Joe Millionare does not become Superman. Ugh! The problem with Ashton Kutcher and Josh Hartnett is that they are not Superman, they are Superboy. They look way way too young. Sorry, but they do.

They are never ever ever gonna get Superman as right as Donner did. I dont care who many Superman movies they make, or how hard they try, they wont get it right. You know why? Because the original had heart, you really felt for the characters, when Lois dies, I remember I was just in shock. And Superman goin berzerk! Wow! They will never find a better Superman than Chris Reeve, he looked the part and he WAS Superman. Margot IS Lois! Gene IS Luthor! Glen Ford IS Pa! Marlon IS Jor-El! They will never get it that way again. So just rerelease the original back into cinemas I say.

I'd certainly go see a new Superman, mainly because Superman is my favorite character.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
I tend not to immediately say "there's no way so-and-so can play such-and-such" anymore. The last time I said that, it was about Tom Cruise in Interview With The Vampire. Then I went to see the film and he knocked me out.
Well, that's not a very good example for me. While I will concede that Cruise did OK acting the part, he was still all wrong physically, and it bugs me every time I watch that movie.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
They are never ever ever gonna get Superman as right as Donner did. I dont care who many Superman movies they make, or how hard they try, they wont get it right
That's why I don't care what they do for the flick. I'll see it and hope for the best, but if it sucks no biggie; I've got the perfect Superman film on DVD at home. It's the Batman project I'm praying for... we've yet to see the perfect Batman film.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
It's the Batman project I'm praying for... we've yet to see the perfect Batman film.
Alright, hate to veer off topic here, but could somebody take five minutes to explain why this is the case?

I bought the Batman comics relatively late in the Batman mythos (when the whole Bruce Wayne is crippled and Azrael was Batman or something and he had a new suit), so excuse me for my ignorance.

I'm only aware of two complaints: Jack Nicholson and Prince music. Anybody else care to elaborate?

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
(hijack, sorry)

They also mentioned Lara Flynn Boyle wants to be Lois Lane. I know the name, but don't really know who the heck that is.
Lara Flynn Boyle is the scarecrow who wore the pink tutu to the Golden Globes. She used to be normal looking. Back when she was Donna Hayward on Twin Peaks, she looked like she was an actual human being.

(end hijack)

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I'm only aware of two complaints: Jack Nicholson and Prince music. Anybody else care to elaborate?
As far as Im concerned Jack was one of the main reasons the movie was good. He stole the show. And you cant tell me that Willem Dafoe was not impersonating Jack in Spiderman.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's all opinion of course, but we've yet to see a Batman film that actually focuses on Batman. The villians almost get more screen time than the Dark Knight himself. And the action set pieces were rather weak, plus he doesn't really do any detective work. That's where my comments stemmed from.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
He did some dectective work in Returns, which I think is the best Batman. I agree, that the focus should be more on Batman than the villians, but hey Im not gonna complain about Jack in Batman.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I think if they'll just hold off a couple years on a new Superman movie, then they should definitely go with Tom Wellig and move Smallville towards an eventual movie.

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
My main complaint about Nicholson as the Joker is his bizarre ad-libbing. For instance, "Wait 'til they get a load of me. Ooop, Ooop." What the? When Batman destroys Axis Chemicals, the Joker, from his helicopter, says something like "Junior birdman, miss me! Ha. Ha. Watch me!" What could that possibly mean? In the script the Joker says, "Not even close! NO CIGAR, fool! I'm going to the festival. You really ought to show up. I'm gonna kill a thousand people an hour until you do." Sure, it's not gold, but at least it's comprehensible.

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
My main complaint about Nicholson as the Joker is his bizarre ad-libbing
Oh wow, Jack's quotes are one of the things my friends and I love so much about the movie! And yeah, some of his quotes don't make any sense, but the Joker *is* insane, you know. :D

CoreyII

Second Unit
Nicholson was not a good Joker period. The reason why, because in the film he ceased being the Joker and instead was just being plain ol Jack in white & green make-up. Nicholson's Joker did not bring non of the terrifying menace that the character has in the comic books. The only reason why people like him is because he's Jack and he's got
this whole crazy guy image going for him.

To this date the best Joker hands down is Mark Hamill on the Batman animated series which is up and beyond the pathetic live action films.

I agree with Jonz, Keaton was not a good Batman the only reason why the first film gets so much praise is because the other three are even worse. But I assure you if the first Batman film was the only one ever made and it had to
stand against such classics as Superman, Spider-Man, and the first Conan it falls very short of those films.

I mean how could anyone like a Batman (Keaton) who hardly did any martial arts, acrobatics, or detective work. Keaton could barely move in his 50 pound rubber muscle suit. And because he didn't work out I had hard time believing that this is a Batman that could pick a man up in the air with his bare hand.

But my problem isn't so much with Keaton as it is with Tim Burton. I mean this is the man who chose Keaton because he felt having a physically imposing Batman wasn't all that important. Burton doesn't realize that Batman relies on his physical prowes as much as he does his intelligence.

The man just does not understand the character. And unlike Richard Donner, Sam Raimi, or John Millius, Burton does not have a love for the comic that translates on the screen, especially when you have a scene where Alfred exposes the hero's secret identity to a second rate Lois Lane like Vicki Vale.

Yeah I know most people will say that Joel Schumacher is worst, but in my opinion both directors have ruined Batman in their own unique way. And to add insult to injury Warner Bros. comes out with that ridiculous series Birds of Prey.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I mean how could anyone like a Batman (Keaton) who hardly did any martial arts, acrobatics, or detective work. Keaton could barely move in his 50 pound rubber muscle suit. And because he didn't work out I had hard time believing that this is a Batman that could pick a man up in the air with his bare hand.
While I agree with this, the main reason I don't like Keaton as Batman is because I don't think he did a good job at Bruce Wayne. He's got some good moments when he's acting a bit eccentric, like at the party scene, but when he's supposed to be darker and driven and generally deeper, I just don't think he pulled it off. There's no intensity there, especially in that awful scene of Vicki confronting him in the Batcave. "Hey look, it's just something I got to do." (Maybe I should post of that scene in the "bad dialogue" thread :)) I never believed the guy was really all that messed up about his parents' deaths or in any way driven to become this crimefighter and that's *critical* for anyone playing Batman.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
There's a rumor going around that the new Superman is Mutant X castmember Victor Webster. Anybody know anything about this guy?

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Josh Hartnett
Ugh.

The best plan I have heard is, on the last episode of Smallville, you have Clark moving to Metropolis, then in the summer the movie will come out!

Tom Wellig IS Superman IMHO. He has the looks and already knows the role. And, eh, we already have a Lex Luthor too! :D

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'd go for Chris Klein. He's goofy enough as it is, and he can pull off the "golly gee whiz mister" matter pretty well. That's great for Clark Kent. And he's got the physical gifts for Superman.

Of course, I've never seen Smallville, so I'll leave this stuff up to the Superman experts such as you guys. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks