What's new

Time for an official Snow Leopard thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the link. Our HP laser printer (ethernet connection) vanished after the upgrade. Hopefully these instructions will get it reinstalled.

Nope wrong page for me. I need "LaserJet" info...

Aha. The tricky part was finding the IP address in the printer's menu. All is well with the world again.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
After my install the issues I am having that I never had with my iMac until now is Apple based programs like Safari, iTunes, iChat, Address Book and iCal have all frozen up on me and taken forever to close. This then pops up a message saying the program closed unexpectedly and asks if I want to restart it. I never had this happen before upgrading to 10.6. My HP printer works just fine and all my other programs have run with no hitches. I have upgraded everything that I can so far and the only program I am waiting on is a 3.0 version of 1Password to get out of alpha and beta testing.

Performance wise I haven't noticed any changes and it runs as usual except for those programs listed above. I think its odd the programs I am having issues with are Apple programs and not the third party programs.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am removing Snow Leopard this morning.

I was a smart man to back up my system prior to install
via SuperDuper.

Too many things don't work including plugins, software
that has no updates yet, and most of all, the printer connected
to my network.

So, I'll go back to 10.5 for a few months until these issues
are resolved.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Leo LaPorte, on MacBreak Weekly, said the same thing. 10.6 broke all his tools and he's grumbly about the whole thing.

I too did a SuperDuper! backup before the install. And then unplugged the SuperDuper! to preserve a 10.5 recovery system.

So far, I'm muddling through it. But I should learn not to update on Day 1. It's always painful and time consuming.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I still don't have that big of an issue with SL. Everything seems to be working as usual except for every once in a while.

I do like the new Quicktime a lot.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
http://www.kungfugrippe.com/post/177715198/confessional
(pardon the vulgarity. Mann is "colorful")

“Did you know how much time and effort was put into making this OS innovative and subtly enhanced?”
“Yes. I read about that. But my apps keep crashing. Like, a lot.”

Whereas I want what I’ve always wanted: a computer that fucking works. Without asterisks. Or (and this was so okay with me in 10.5) I want a feature set that is so distractingly gorgeous and giant-nippled that I’m not noticing that every dot-something upgrade is precisely as enjoyable and carefree as inserting one-third of a Tic-Tac into a fresh anal fissure.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Rule #1. Don't take a new gun on an elephant hunt Rule #2. Don't blame 1st party when 3rd party apps (which exist solely to act outside the bound of 1st party guidelines) when 1st party updates the ecosystem -- Both apply to EVERY OS

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
http://db.tidbits.com/article/10507

• With all windows visible [in Expose] (press F9 or the Expose key [F3] on recent Mac laptops), press Command-1 to arrange the windows by name.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you have even the faintest interest in Services and Automator, I suggest watching this
http://www.pixelcorps.tv/macbreak235
(note, they show several custom tools not provided by Apple)

And then this
http://www.macosxautomation.com/services/index.html

And if you don't have any interest, you might look anyway; you might find you can improve your workflow with some automation.

don monteith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Monteith
I'm not sure if this will help anyone else but after talking with Apple for almost an hour my Mac Pro is running like lightning with SL.

My MP is only 3 months old and has never been the speed demon I was hoping for. I was told to wait for SL and 64 bit to really turn on all the power. My system would take up to 3 minutes to boot and was constantly getting the beach ball. I bought disk warrior but my system would not boot off their cd. I ran the repair tools in Disc utilities. I even bought a new 1TB WD Caviar Black Hard Drive. Nothing would fix it. I then reloaded my HDD with a fresh copy of SL and still no improvement. I called Apple yesterday and explained all my troubleshooting steps that I had taken and was told that he was stumped. Apparently I had done all the steps that he would have suggested. Obviously I have not listed all of them here. It would take too long.

After being put on hold a few times he said to boot off the SL CD. Then go into disc utilities and run the repair tools from there. Low and behold it found a laundry list of errors and was able to fix all but 1 of them. Now my system runs like lightning and my boot time is more like 45 seconds than 3 minutes. Apparently, there is a big difference running the tools from the CD rather than from within the OS itself.

It's worth mentioning that my system was booted into target mode and had disc warrior, the SL version, run on it. You can download the new version from their website. Errors were found and repaired but there was no real performance increase. Like I said before, I don't know if this will help anyone else or maybe this is common knowledge. However, it helped me so I thought I would pass it along. And since it involved SL I thought I would post it here.

Also, DaveF. Thank you for posting the links to the videos. Videos like this really help a lot so please keep them coming. As a matter of fact, we should have a thread started just for video tutorials, helpful hints etc. and make it a sticky.

Don

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Hey Don,

Thanks for the for the advice -- I'll definitely do it when I install.

My SL disk finally arrived -- it had been sent to our old work location for some reason.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Deep level info on what's new in SL. Aimed at Devs but advanced users may find it helpful:
http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/releasenotes/MacOSX/WhatsNewInOSX/Articles/MacOSX10_6.html

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I sort of expected .1 to come out pretty quick. It makes sense that there would be some rapid fixes once the system went public. I was actually glad to see it.

One thing about iTunes 9. It takes sooo long to start playing a song. Is anyone else noticing this?

OK, now that I said that, I tried it again with no delay. Hmmm.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
How is 10.6.1 for people? It feels much slower to me, but I've made several changes all at once which might be the source of the seeming sluggishness of my system.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Dave,

It doesn't feel any slower to me. How do you mean slower? Slower to load up? Less "snappy"? I think the things I pointed out in post 75 (page 3) of this thread still hold true in 10.6.1 - in fact I just ran a permission repair and it seems to be even faster!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks