What's new

Time for an official Snow Leopard thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It feels like it's running with far tool little RAM. Click on Mail and it beachballs for 20 seconds before becoming responsive. Then alt-tab to Firefox and it beachballs for another 20 seconds. Go to iPhoto and it takes 45 seconds to bring up the Events thumbnails. And so it.

It might be other things. I think the hard drive is auto-sleeping now and I've set the security lock to require a password, so maybe it's spinning down and paging out data, requiring time to get apps up and running. And maybe I'm running more apps this week than typical.

It may have nothing to do with SL; it's just felt different coinciding with 10.6.1.

Originally Posted by Carlo Medina

It doesn't feel any slower to me. How do you mean slower? Slower to load up? Less "snappy"? I think the things I pointed out in post 75 (page 3) of this thread still hold true in 10.6.1 - in fact I just ran a permission repair and it seems to be even faster!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Dave I definitely am not experiencing the same thing. I just launched all browsers simultaneously and iPhoto and it's performing like that at all for me.

Maybe time for a "forced defrag"? (i.e. clone to a bootable external via SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner, boot from the external and clone back?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ok. I'll play around some more and see what develops. Since it's likely not a 10.6.1 thing, I'll look at other issues.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've committed myself to 10.6. I resumed SuperDuper! usage, replacing my 10.5 recovery image with my current 10.6 system. And last night I listed my 10.5 Family Pack on eBay. There's no turning back. :)

I still haven't decided about my wife's computer -- there's still some CS3 worries -- but I'm inclined to upgrade her this weekend if she'll let me. Same process: SuperDuper! and TimeMachine her final 10.5 configuration, disconnect the drives, and do the upgrade. Give it a week and if all is well, resume SuperDuper!ing and TimeMachineing.

DanaA

Screenwriter
My understanding is that if you upgrade to Snow Leopard, all of your personal stuff will be lost. Is that true? I've never switched out the operating system before. I'm especially worried about losing all of my ITunes and programs I bought for my computer.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dana,

Not true at all.

While it is always to do a backup before upgrading to
a new OS (that is what I did and I went back to Leopard)
I have never seen a new operating system on Mac zero
out any previous data or software.

Now, mind you, some software may not work correctly
once you upgrade. Hopefully when they don't, the companies
offer fre upgrade patches on their website.

I removed Snow Leopard from at least one of my two
computers due to the fact that a lot of mail and browser
plug-ins stopped working. Once updates are offered I will
try the upgrade again.

Let us know how you make out.

DanaA

Screenwriter
I would, but my wife can't find it now. My Apple was a gift from my family on Father's Day. Now that I think about it, the coupon was taken off of Apple's site. I think it was for computers bought right before Snow Leopard came out.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
PSA: eBay your OS X 10.5 kit! I just sold my Family Pack for a pretty good percentage of my original purchase price. I'm an eBay noob and I'm surprised at the strong selling price.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's an interesting question. And I've considered a few different answers. But they come down to this: I don't care. I bought 10.5, Family Pack even. And then I bought 10.6 (and also paid for the upgrade for my wife's iMac up-to-date copy). It's just silly for me to keep 10.5 now; I do not and will never need it again. So I'll sell it and cover some of my $3000 in Apple purchases from this year. And if Apple someday stops me from selling old software, then I'll have to buy less new software and hardware and they can determine if those are good economics.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Installed and working well. All of my apps so far appear to work flawlessly (fingers crossed).

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
@DaveF: Have you had any problems running CS3 on SL? I want to upgrade my iMac, but don't want to have to get CS4 (I might get CS5 next year for the 64bit support).

That said, I've been using Pixelmator on my MacBook and been very impressed with it (runs on SL and considerably cheaper too!).

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I have CS3 on my iMac and for me Snow Leopard really screwed it up. When I try to run it now it will usually crash and tell me that it needs to send a message out to Apple or similar. I have had a lot of crashes in the middle of using Firefox 3.5 and Safari. I also have a Fijitsu 1500M Scan Snap that no longer works on my iMac. All of the authors of these various programs are working on fixes but so far I have had far more trouble with 3rd party programs now that I have updated to Snow Leopard. Hopefully they will have a lot of these issues resolved with the next release.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm not upgrading my wife's iMac to SL, because she's the CS3 user. I use Pixelmator a bit; but it's no replacement for the entire Adobe suite for a pro designer.

Parker -- thanks for the info. And sorry to hear the SL was a bad upgrade for your CS3 install. :(

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info. I'll give CS3 a try on my iMac whilst I've got SL on it but before I restore all my other stuff. It looks like I might have to go back to Leopard on my iMac so that I can keep using Photoshop and Dreamweaver CS3.

I was also thinking of getting a Scan Snap scanner later this year. Hmm...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
John Nack only commented on Photoshop, and not the whole of CS3. Since then, there have been significant anecdotal reports, like Parker's, that CS3 does have minor, perhaps major, issues with 10.6. So, I've decided not to risk borking my wife's workflow for now. I'll continue to watch how the winds blow, but I may not upgrade her until she can upgrade to CS5 or whatever's next.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks