What's new

These $5 Blu-rays are a killin' me, I tell 'ya! (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
At the present time, my ultimate simultaneous "nightmare" and "heaven" (both at the same time), would be a scenario of bluray tv season sets falling into the $5 or less range. :wacko: :lol:

So far some older bluray tv season sets have already been starting to dip below the $10 mark, such as:

- House MD
- Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
- the revived V
- CSI
- The Office
- Pushing Daisies
- Firefly
- Heroes
- etc ...

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
cineMANIAC said:
Heroes and Sarah Connor Chronicles sets have reached $10? Where?
They show up every now and then in the local dump bins for around $10.

At the present time, some of the Heroes bluray season sets are less than $11 a pop on amazon.

Two years ago I picked up all four Heroes bluray sets at around $15 a pop from some summer dvd sales at Walmart. At the time, I thought it was a great deal. (Prior to that time, I watched most of season 1 previously but didn't follow the subsequent seasons in their original first-run broadcasts).

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Fry's was selling "Betsy's Wedding" for $1.50. Never heard of it; got it as an impulse buy simply because Madeline Kahn's in it.

P

Patrick Donahue

I did the same at Best Buy with "Alien" and "The Hustler." I figure the iced coffee I get at Starbucks is $4 and that is used up in about 30secs as opposed to 2 hours plus time for bonus features for the movies so...

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
It's funny to see this thread as I was going to comment that Blu prices seem to have gone up as of late with very few bargains. The 55 movies I have on my Amazon wishlist have gone up $3 to $10 over the past two months. Usually at least some of them are

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Great thread. Best Buy has extended their $5 titles into this week.

There's a couple that I am interested in, but I have refrained from buying anything thus far. Maybe I'll cave on some of them this week especially since I have a BB gift card.

I'm kind of holding out for have to have releases as this point. I keep thinking that I'm going to spend quite a bit in November when Batman the Complete 1966 series comes to blu ray.....

: )

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
It's not my intention to upgrade my DVD library to blu (except to replace non-anamorphic titles) but yesterday at Best Buy they had the two disc blu of Cleopatra (1963) for $5! Five dollars! Who could resist? I thought for sure that when the cashier rang it up it would show the $5 tag was in error but no, it was $5.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thomas T said:
It's not my intention to upgrade my DVD library to blu (except to replace non-anamorphic titles) but yesterday at Best Buy they had the two disc blu of Cleopatra (1963) for $5! Five dollars! Who could resist? I thought for sure that when the cashier rang it up it would show the $5 tag was in error but no, it was $5.
I should be running to my local Best Buy right now.

But given the way they treat catalog releases at my store, I have severe doubts that they have EVER stocked the Blu of Cleopatra.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
I will report back tomorrow! :biggrin:

That will make me very happy as I held off on this title for just such a sale...
Good luck! The BB store (in Burbank, California) had only only one copy left!

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Huh, I have the UK Blu so never got the US one, but might for $5 to get some international packaging out of my collection...

donidarko

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Donnie
I've caught the discount BR bug also...in the last few weeks I purchased The Last Waltz, War Games, Thelma and Louise and Cleopatra. I have to admit I am happy I did, otherwise I wouldn't have revisited these films. I enjoyed these even more because of their superior HD presentation.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
I'm also happy to see disc prices coming down. I made out like a bandit last black friday, and plan on doing the same this year. I finally wised up to the practice of saving most purchases for the Christmas shopping season instead of buying throughout the year.

I bought all the X-Men movies for 4 or 5 bucks (excluding The Wolverine) last black friday. And yes, they're all still wrapped in plastic on the shelf.

I'll revisit them once my theater is finished.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I hope this doesn't come off as snobbery but I used to have a lot of really cheap stuff on my shelves and I HATED the way they "lessened" my collection. Lots of disposable movies, stuff you should only watch one, that sort of thing. It's great when something you like is heavily discounted but my blind buying days are (mostly) over - regardless of price.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
cineMANIAC said:
I hope this come off as snobbery but I used to have a lot of really cheap stuff on my shelves and I HATED the way they "lessened" my collection. Lots of disposable movies, stuff you should only watch one, that sort of thing. It's great when something you like is heavily discounted but my blind buying days are (mostly) over - regardless of price.
For me, "low price" solely was always a poor consideration for buying anything. I learned this the hard way, very early on.

When I was younger, I use to buy a lot of heavily discounted and cutout-bin vinyl records. Not surpisingly, it turned out most of these records were largely crap. (Back in the day, I use to listen to a lot of less popular metal and punk rock type stuff).

When I started buying a lot of dvds and blurays in 2011, I was very selective. 98% of the blurays/dvds I have purchased so far, is stuff I did some "research" on prior to purchasing.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I won't buy a movie I have never heard of even if it is super cheap. I've been amazed at myself for how many $5 movies I have some interest in that I haven't bought. Best Buy had(has) Taken and Taken 2 for $5 each (saw the first and liked it, haven't seen the 2nd) and I still passed on them. So for me it has to be both a movie I really want AND it has to be relatively cheap. I just bought The Wolverine for $10 from Amazon.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
My movie buying falls into three sections.

1. Want it so bad I don't care what it costs.
2. Want it but I'll wait for a cheaper price.
3. I wouldn't want it for free!

I'd never buy a movie I actively disliked. But I had a friend and fellow collector who did just that. We were in a store together when I noticed he had No Country For Old Men in his hand. "You hated that movie!" I told him (we had seen it together). "I know", he said "but it is an Oscar winner". LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks