What's new

The X Files is coming back! (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Cameron Yee said:
I think Anderson has been subtly warning fans since they started shooting that her performance has some issues early on.
Last night's episode was actually the fifth episode produced (they ADR-ed Skinner's line welcoming them back) so if that's what people are considering bad then it's probably not going to get better for them. Personally, I think her and Duchovny are fine and are playing the characters as they did 20 years ago.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I finally caught up with the first one. Complete gobblydeegook Mulder babble. It was like 15 years of pent-up conspiracy theories bursting out of a monotone pinata. And anyone seeing a political bias where there really wasn't one, is smelling a conspiracy where there isn't one. Mulder was totally in character calling the Glenn Beck wannabe a jackass, but then Mulder himself is basically anti-government. So don't attribute things that aren't there.

Anderson looked totally uncomfortable with the bad wigs they decked her with, but I thought her chops were still there. Duchovny gets points for remembering all that babble and spitting it out even if there was no real believable passion behind it. And he sure threw 10 years of research and personal beliefs under the bus in a second, but at least he still believes it all started with aliens, so there's that.

Hey, we never analyzed the first run of the series as we do now in our Everybody's Opinion Matters and is elevated thanks to the glorious democracy of the Internet, so I'm cutting this one some slack and saying reserve all final judgments until we've got the six done, and we've had the Darin Morgan.

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
Is it just me or do the two leads sound funny? Anderson sounds like a smoker who's at the end of their rope. Mulder also sounds like he's got something in his throat. Especially Anderson in long dialog scenes. I know they are older, but.....

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
disctrip said:
Is it just me or do the two leads sound funny? Anderson sounds like a smoker who's at the end of their rope. Mulder also sounds like he's got something in his throat. Especially Anderson in long dialog scenes. I know they are older, but.....
I've thought the same thing watching the first two eps. Anderson's voice, especially, seems really odd.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
They're aliens!

I liked where the story was going in the second ep but it was weird how all of a sudden they're back in a basement office and back on a weird x file case.

Help me remember, didn't the smoking man die or disappear?

And I still contend the acting sux.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
MarkMel said:
Help me remember, didn't the smoking man die or disappear?
In the finale, a couple of helicopters shot missiles at the Navajo cave that he was hiding in, blowing it up and you saw the flesh literally burn off his face all the way down to his skull so I'd say that he died but for the sake of bringing back an iconic villain, he apparently survived with some fairly minor burns. :)

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
TravisR said:
In the finale, a couple of helicopters shot missiles at the Navajo cave that he was hiding in, blowing it up and you saw the flesh literally burn off his face all the way down to his skull so I'd say that he died but for the sake of bringing back an iconic villain, he apparently survived with some fairly minor burns. :)

He's The Cigarette Smoking Shape.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I watched the first episode and thought everything was fine, even Anderson's wig! I think the only point where it got a little dicey acting-wise (and I'm picking nits) was when Anderson and Duchovny were having it out on Sveta's porch.

If you want to see the two acting poorly as their characters, watch the sketch they did for the Jimmy Kimmel show.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Watching the second episode, Founder's Mutation. I didn't recognize Chief Tyrol (Aaron Douglas). I thought it was Michael Badalucco at first.

And for the Hannibal watchers, that's Abigail Hobbs (Kacy Rohl) playing the pregnant girl.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, I feel quite sure there will be more of these mini-seasons. The second episode (without the benefit of a huge NFL lead-in) made it Fox's highest rated show apart from Empire. They're not going to ditch that golden goose.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
In a really small role too. I guess due to The X-Files' importance to the Vancouver film making industry, pretty much every Canadian actor was probably interested in any role just to be part of the show.
Which is great, considering who played a small part as Sarah. :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Supposedly tonight's episode (3rd episode this season) was the best reviewed episode by early reviewers.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
It was a good one! Glad I stuck around. Rhys Darby was great in this ep. I liked the campiness of it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Darin Morgan did it again! Like all of his episodes, it was so funny and oddly touching. Since I think a mainstream audience considers The X-Files to primarily be a spooky show, I wonder what they thought of this episode.

Loved the monster being dressed as Carl Kolchak.

Lots of references to older episodes for the hardcore fans:
- Stoner and Chick from the S3 episodes War Of The Coprophages and Quagmire are still getting high
- Alex Diakun (the motel manager) is in many of Darin Morgan episodes (Humbug, Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space' and the Millennium episode ...Somehow, Satan Got Behind Me)
- Mulder's red speedo from S2's Duane Barry
- the tombstones for Kim Manners (who directed more than a quarter of the episodes) and includes his trademark "Let's kick it in the ass..." line and Jack Hardy (a first AD on Millennium)
- Queequeg from S3's Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose and was eaten by a crocodile in Quagmire
- Given the events of S7's Tithonus, Scully is quite possibly immortal

Last edited:

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
My DVR gave me a still picture of two people huffing gold spray paint in the woods for 60 minutes. Guess I'm waiting until FOX puts this episode online or repeats it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks