What's new

The X Files is coming back! (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
In on-line interviews that I've read this morning, Chris Carter isn't sounding at all like this is the end of the series. He doesn't even sound all that convinced that it's the last we're going to see of Gillian Anderson as Scully.
I think the door is definitely open but if that's the end, I can live with it. It's easier said than done but as far as I'm concerned, that was the right way to do a finale when you don't know for sure if they're coming back. They could pick up the story again or it could function as an ending.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I watched it over lunch. Saying it isn't as bad as the other My Struggle episodes is the faintest of praise. It's also not a fitting finale for one of the greatest series in TV history.

The open-ended resolution for so many characters (Skinner, CSM, Monica) feels like a cheat, which is saying a lot from a show that more or less invented the cheat. This was the moment when we needed them to not cheat, to not leave things open -- to finally resolve the central mysteries of the show. It did not.

CSM's vague threat of an alien virus is never seen as a real possibility. How is he going to release it? Where are the stockpiles of it that he'd release into the open? Where are the men who would do that?

Monica seems to be playing both sides, or at least as much as will get her killed. If this is indeed the end, we deserve to know which side she was on and why.

Chris Carter is toying with the audience, hoping there will be enough outcry from fans that the show isn't finished, that it has more story to tell, in order to convince Fox to go ahead with another season, so he can do the same thing after another 8 or 10 episodes. He is never going to give us a satisfying conclusion to the show. He doesn't have one, nor does he want one. His self-interest is showing. Rather than wrap it up and show respect for the fans, he intentionally left many parts dangling, so the fan support can bring it back. Time to say no. Anderson is right. It's been 25 years, and if it's never going to end, let's let this be the best ending we can get.

Carter should have turned this over to more capable writers when the show came back in 2015. It could have had a real ending.

Also, let me add that I was never comfortable with CSM being Mulder's father (something that was teased several times during the original run of the show). It was just too Star Wars for this show.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'd be happy if they brought it back with just doing the mystery/monster of the week. With the interest in sci-fi shows like Black Mirror, I can see a place for that.
I agree with you. Since those episodes have been by far the best ones for two seasons, why not just roll with that format for a complete season?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I feel about the show now the way I did around 1998-1999, when it became clear to me that they had no plan in the mythology storytelling and were simply making it up week by week, with no end in sight. I didn't see the later seasons of the show until DVD. I had lost interest. I'm at that point again, despite some truly great episodes this year.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If they bring it back, they should wait at least 5-6 years from now with a showrunner and new series leads. Maybe a young FBI agent fresh out of Quantico pisses off the wrong senior official and gets dumped in a small defunct little office that is considered a joke within the agency and has the worst solve rate. Maybe bring Skinner back if he survived that run in with the car, but otherwise make it a new show with the same premise and formula. If Mulder and Scully are brought back, let them be happy raising their miracle baby together. Don't make them carry the procedural element.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
OK, this is nitpicking but am I the only person who doesn't like the "Fox Presents" logos that pop up before the main titles start? A number of shows on Fox and FX do it now and it usually 'spoils' the smash cut to the theme or title card by letting you know the cut is coming.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm not a big fan either.

Though my bigger X-Files main title gripe is that they changed the font.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Finally saw the finale. Flashlights flashing. Lots of running. A Ford Mustang commercial. But I gotta say I was okay with the whole thing because it wasn't the usual BS cliffhanger, and the twist of William as Mulder confronting his love from his mother was a nice touch. And ending with Mulder and Scully touching, and him her stomach, was also a nice but corny touch. Hey, were all softies for a happy ending for these two who have been tortured for many many seasons (and that's just by Chris Carter, ba-ding!)

Lots of people going dead here, but we know how all that turns out if there's ever another season. The real reason there probably won't be is that no one but us were watching this time around. It got less than half the ratings of Survivor.

But I am thankful for this season. Who knew that the ultimate X-Files case was coming back from the dead all these years later.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Though my bigger X-Files main title gripe is that they changed the font.
I'm rewatching the Blu-ray set and I'll go to my grave hating the new font. It's a stupid thing to be annoyed by but I know the original font so well that a change just sticks out so much to me.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
https://news.avclub.com/the-x-files-appear-to-be-closed-1826015981

Most likely not coming back.

But we can't blame Gillian Anderson. Per her tweet, the fault lies within ourselves (not enough viewers).
I wish the last episode had had a last act where was there was a more quiet epilogue with M&S together (like the original series wisely had) but I can live with that episode as the ending. Especially since I know Carter could have been crazy enough to have a cliffhanger again. And I imagine that in a few years, Fox will be desperate and some other old series will have just been successfully revived so Fox will get Carter, Duchovny and Anderson to come back again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks