What's new

THE SIMPSONS SEASON 12: Any Indication on the Type of Packaging? (2 Viewers)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
yeah, i was disappointed when i receive my copy today and seen the file folder again. I thought the network received a lot of flack about going this direction with the folders.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There is a slight difference between the S11 and S12 Packaging...

The S12 Packaging has an... indentation? recessed area? whatever you call it that allows you to get a thumb on the disc to slide it out. S11 didn't have that, and you had to go digging for it.

Daniel-M

Second Unit
This is just fantastic. Fox Home Entertainment is now confirmed the most retarded DVD-publisher ever. No more Simpsons DVD for me

Andrew Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Pierce
Trust Krusty the Clown to lend his likeness to an inferior product. Maybe they meant the bad packaging as an in joke?

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Having seen the set in stores today, I have to ask, "Fox, what are you thinking? That ugly, awkward and inconvenient packaging is a good thing?"

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Andrew Pierce

Trust Krusty the Clown to lend his likeness to an inferior product. Maybe they meant the bad packaging as an in joke?
So, that means we have Comic Book Guy on the cover of S12 so that it's only natural when we all bitch about this being the "worst packaging ever"?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I agree this packaging sucks, but is it really worth giving up a show you like and have collected so far? As long as the content is as good as always, I'm still buying.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by JohnMor

I agree this packaging sucks, but is it really worth giving up a show you like and have collected so far? As long as the content is as good as always, I'm still buying.
Exactly.

With all the shows being abandoned by the studios, you're going to give up on a show that is steadily being released for something as stupid as packaging?

I mean, this packaging does suck, but the S12 packaging is slightly better than S11. It's easier to get the discs out, at least. You don't have to go in the pockets and dig for the discs anymore, you can just slide 'em out. Of course, there's still the scratching of the discs problem, but if you hate it that bad, store 'em in something else.

As to why the Simpsons is like this, and not in the cases Fox uses on Family Guy and American Dad... I'd guess it's because of the whole green packaging movement. Remember, the Futurama movies were "proudly green", so I'd guess the Simpsons are the same way.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Can someone confirm about the seas 12 packaging this: I was looking over 12 at Best Buy and it looks like the BACK of the BOX art is linked to the inside of the case that hold the discs? It seems odd... which would make this case even WORSE than the last season set. Can someone tell how you open this set?

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Remember how the old cases had the thin paper sheet glued to the back with the episode list and special features and everything printed on it?

Well, the new set has a thicker cardboard sheet on the back with a flap that closes up the case. The cardboard with the flap is only glued on, so it's easily removed. Why it's there is anyone's guess.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man

With all the shows being abandoned by the studios, you're going to give up on a show that is steadily being released for something as stupid as packaging?
No, of course not -- and I bought mine today! ...And I'm the guy who started the thread in the first place!

Yes, there is a slight improvement with the "notching" of the interior sleeves, but I still don't like it. But, I DO like The Simpsons -- so it is done.

Oddly, the "Raised Comic Book Guy Head" package sold for quite a bit less than the "standard, flat" packaging at my Best Buy... 28.99 vs. 39.99!

Is this common elsewhere?

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I picked up the standard version at BB for $28.99.

I'm not crazy about the packaging but like people have said, it is slightly improved upon S11's and it's not so awful that I'm going to deprive myself of the show. I've kept my S11 discs in the original cases and once I got them out initially, I've had no difficulty removing them and no scratches or defects to report.

S11 and 12's packaging bugs me far less than the S6 fiasco--I even hate the alternate box, which opens from the top and is eternally tilted because it's impossible to fold perfectly.

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
My BB had the regular packaging at the higher price as well, which pissed me off b/c I was expecting it to be at the lower. Do the head versions not sell as well as the regular version, hence the higher charge? The packaging was much better executed this go round. I understand why they did the switch, going green and all of that stuff; but why can't they just go the way the Futurama movies did their packaging?

I hate the new WB dvd packaging as well w/the cases having cuts in them making them shoddy at best.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Originally Posted by chadHobbick

My BB had the regular packaging at the higher price as well, which pissed me off b/c I was expecting it to be at the lower. Do the head versions not sell as well as the regular version, hence the higher charge? The packaging was much better executed this go round. I understand why they did the switch, going green and all of that stuff; but why can't they just go the way the Futurama movies did their packaging?

I hate the new WB dvd packaging as well w/the cases having cuts in them making them shoddy at best.
Not to mention Content Notes! Of late, too many WB animation sets have had no listings of their contents within their packaging – Max Fleischer’s Superman, Saturday Morning Cartoons, and Tom and Jerry: The Chuck Jones Collection to name a few.

The packaging may not be to our liking but, with such nicely illustrated booklets, Simpsons sets have always had some of the best content notes in all of TV on DVD – and still do!

Anyone have any ideas on why the price difference at BB? Particularly, from someone inside BB, maybe? Naturally, I took the “raised head”, though I would have preferred the “flat” for easier storage, but I’m just curious as to the reasoning – and if this also occurred outside of BB.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Again, all I really want is one large rectangular cardboard box, preferably with a nice picture on it, containing the first ten seasons and nothing more. I'd but that in a heartbeat.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Joe Tor1

Anyone have any ideas on why the price difference at BB? Particularly, from someone inside BB, maybe? Naturally, I took the “raised head”, though I would have preferred the “flat” for easier storage, but I’m just curious as to the reasoning – and if this also occurred outside of BB.

Love it or hate it, I think the head packaging sells better. It's eye catching so stores stock more of them, it's a "collector's edition" and it's generally what is featured in ads over the standard packaging. As for Best Buy's price, it's probably as simple as that they aren't concerned about it. How many people who were walking into the store to buy the regular packaging set will actually refuse to buy the lower priced head packaging?

If you don't want the head, just pull it off the package. I can't say for sure but I'm fairly certain that the regular packagaing's image (of Comic Book Guy pulling open his shirt a la Superman) is underneath the head.

Did people just assume that the non-head packaging was more expensive at Best Buy because it didn't have a sale sticker? I picked it up and it was $28.99 at the register as I assumed it would be.

I don't buy the head-versions because simply put, they're ugly and bulky. I like uniformity and I was among the complainers when they changed the packaging for season Season 6. Not only did I send away for the card-board sleeve case for it, but I also ended up selling the entire set and purchasing the re-released Season 6 set in the traditional box which I have only ever seen for sale at Borders. (I didn't like that you had to load it from the top in the mail-away case, since it was left open on top, dust easily collected within the set).

I haven't had as much an issue with the new packaging as others, S12 was an improvement in being able to get the discs out, but I've been successful in getting the DVD's out with no problem on both sets. My only hope is that they get back into the swing of things and start releasing 2 sets per year. Ever since the movie the production of these dvd's was thrown off. I'd like to see it get back on track. Waiting a whole year (like the first few seasons) just ain't right!

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Originally Posted by Michael Roha ">[/url]

Did people just assume that the non-head packaging was more expensive at Best Buy because it didn't have a sale sticker? I picked it up and it was $28.99 at the register as I assumed it would be.

[/QUOTE]In my case, I ASKED TWO DIFFERENT Best Buy salespersons if this was true.

When the first one said “Yes”, I STILL didn’t believe it and asked another. The answer was the same – so I took the “head case”.

Just goes to show… don’t believe everything you hear! Even after multiple pollings.

But, if it weren’t true, why would they have had two different marked prices right next to one another – one for the “head case” and a higher one for the “flat case” – on the day of release?

Maybe it really was to be priced that way – but the registers’ programming at Michael’s store couldn’t accept the illogic in it!

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I was at my best Buy yesterday and the shelf had two different price tags both 28.99 each price tag stated it was collector case or reg. so that is odd everyone thought they were priced different and not to offend but the sales people at Best Buy don't know film or anything. It is like talking to a wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks