What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Quiet Man - BD Release 01-22-13 (1 Viewer)

RobHam

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob Hamilton
....got the willies now as there's no mention on the review of it being region free.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by John Hodson
The Blu-ray.com review - here - is an absolutely delightful surprise.
Should be no surprise.
This should look exemplary, as the elements dictate. Correct color and density based upon an original print should get it all 5s.
With all elements extant, there is no heavy lifting here, and final quality should be superb.
RAH

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
RobHam said:
....got the willies now as there's no mention on the review of it being region free.
I think all the Olive Blu's are region free, I only have one, Assault On A Queen (a very guilty pleasure) & it plays fine.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Billy Batson said:
I think all the Olive Blu's are region free, I only have one, Assault On A Queen (a very guilty pleasure) & it plays fine.
I'm sure that Twilight's Last Gleaming and The Trap are Zone A locked.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Robin9 said:
I'm sure that Twilight's Last Gleaming and The Trap are Zone A locked.
It looks like you're right. Oh well, fingers crossed. I'm not going down the muti-region player route so I may have to do without.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Looking good, fingers crossed there is no problem with the actual encode but the caps look very good. @Billy - Some UK players can be modded when you buy them for multi region playback very cheaply and players are cheap already, might be worth considering.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Mark-P said:
Bad news - DVD Beaver has confirmed that it is Region A locked.
It may be Region A locked because some other recent Olive BRDs have been. But don't go by what DVD Beaver says because according to him every Olive BRD is locked - and most of them are not.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Robin9 said:
It may be Region A locked because some other recent Olive BRDs have been. But don't go by what DVD Beaver says because according to him every Olive BRD is locked - and most of them are not.
Ha, you just beat me to it! I'm sure someone will give the definitive yay or nay sooner or later. If it is locked then they're going to miss out on a lot of international sales, but Olive may not have a choice in the matter.

RobHam

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob Hamilton
I'm looking at getting an Oppo 93 if this one is confirmed as region A locked - something I've deliberately avoided thus far as it will open the floodgates to a whole load of A-locked BD's (inc Criterion). My wallet just threw itself into a corner and is shaking with fear

RobHam

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob Hamilton
Where is the HTF review of this important movie? The movie is released to the public in just a few days - it beggars belief that both blu-ray.com and beaver both have had reviews out for weeks and nadda from this site. Disappointed.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by RobHam
Where is the HTF review of this important movie?
The movie is released to the public in just a few days - it beggars belief that both blu-ray.com and beaver both have had reviews out for weeks and nadda from this site.
Disappointed.
Sorry for your disappointment, but Olive doesn't give out screeners to HTF reviewers despite our requests for them.
Crawdaddy

RobHam

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob Hamilton
Thanks Robert. I was having a Very Bad Day yesterday - apologies.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I get most Olive releases and live in B land. They have all been A locked for a few months now. I am covered with a machine for playback when this happens. My beef with Olive is that they stopped sending me e-mails and no amount of re-registering alters this. Same with VCI.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Robin9 said:
I can confirm: it's Zone A locked.
Oops! I went & ordered it a couple of days ago, & I just have a B machine, that I'll teach me to jump the gun. Hopefully I can sell it to someone in the UK that can play region A (I'm not getting into all that multi-region stuff). Oh well, my last purchase of any Olive Blu's.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Persianimmortal said:
Damn. Region B here as well, I also ordered it without realising it was locked. Rather a stupid thing for Olive to do given the last three Olive movies I bought were Region Free :(
This has less to do with Olive's desires, and more with the terms under which they license a work for distribution. RAH

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Robert Harris said:
This has less to do with Olive's desires, and more with the terms under which they license a work for distribution. RAH
I'm not clear on this point. What confuses me is that it seems initially almost all Olive BDs were Region Free. Certainly all those I've considered getting, and the three that I have bought (Rock-a-Bye Baby, High Noon and Invasion of the Body Snatchers) are confirmed Region Free and have played back fine for me. Then, in what appears to be a recent decision, their latest BDs are all region locked. In other words, it looks as though Olive has actually decided to region lock, rather than the normal situation with region coding, in that some titles are locked, and some are unlocked. Is it possible that Olive gets better terms for their licensing (i.e. it is cheaper to them) if they agree to limit geographical distribution by region locking?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks