What's new

The Quiet Man - BD Release 01-22-13 (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by jra166 /t/320915/the-quiet-man-any-news-on-a-blu-ray-anniversary-release#post_3967499
Any news on this? I'm itching to watch this, but I refuse to watch the DVD. I always get the urge to watch this after watching McClintock!...maybe I should just quit watching that one, problem solved. Speaking of which, any Maureen O'Hara on blu would make me a happy man. Rio Grande is nice, but I need to see that red hair! I noticed 'Against All Flags' was released in Europe, but have not seen any images or reviews. Anybody?

With Disney releasing all of these vault titles, how about The Parent Trap? Of course, it's probably TOO vault, but I sure love it.

kingofthejungle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Heath
jra166 said:
I noticed 'Against All Flags' was released in Europe, but have not seen any images or reviews. Anybody?
It's a pretty decent looking disc - most likely the exact transfer we see on the Universal DVD, just released in 1080 for the first time. The colors are nice, but there's a little dust that ideally would have been taken care of - still a nice presentation IMO.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
MattH. said:
With Disney releasing all of these vault titles, how about The Parent Trap? Of course, it's probably TOO vault, but I sure love it.
Yeah, I remember enjoying that...& In Search Of The Castaways, & even Babes In Toyland!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Billy Batson /t/320915/the-quiet-man-any-news-on-a-blu-ray-anniversary-release#post_3967650
Yeah, I remember enjoying that...& In Search Of The Castaways, & even Babes In Toyland!

Babes in Toyland is coming, isn't it? Seems like I remember it being one of the avalanche of vault titles Disney earmarked for Blu-ray this year.

Maureen O'Hara, of course, and her red hair are prominent in The Parent Trap. That's why I mentioned it.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
As for Maureen O'Hara, i'd like to see the 1939 version of The Hunchback Of Notre Dame find its way onto Blu ray, i wonder who owns the rights to that one. ?

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
FoxyMulder said:
As for Maureen O'Hara, i'd like to see the 1939 version of The Hunchback Of Notre Dame find its way onto Blu ray, i wonder who owns the rights to that one. ?
I have been waiting on this too. Criterion released this on laser disc some time back and I was hoping they might put it out again on a blu ray dvd. As far as I know it's owned by Warner Brothers.

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
Walsh61 said:
I have been waiting on this too. Criterion released this on laser disc some time back and I was hoping they might put it out again on a blu ray dvd. As far as I know it's owned by Warner Brothers.
Are you talking about the 1939 Hunchback of Notre Dame? To the best of my knowledge, there was never a Criterion LD release of this title. Image did release an LD version.

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
JamesNelson said:
Are you talking about the 1939 Hunchback of Notre Dame? To the best of my knowledge, there was never a Criterion LD release of this title. Image did release an LD version.
You may be right James. I thought I remembered seeing a laser disc of this movie that was a Criterion release, but I may be thinking of another release I saw. At my age your memory starts playing tricks on you.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
I'd love to see Sentimental Journey on Blu-ray. Heck, I'd love to see it on *DVD*! I have no idea why that great weeper has languished in the vaults lo these many years.
Speaking of redheads... Slightly Scarlet on Blu-ray would be manna from blu-ray heaven.

CordMcNally

Auditioning
Real Name
Ronnie Boyd
Not to sound impatient or anything, but I wish they'd get a bloody move on and release a restored The Quiet Man on blu-ray pronto!
This film is treasured by an astonishing amount of folk (oh, and by the way, no you don't need to be an Irish-American to love this movie..!).
The venerable Mr. Harris has assured us the film has been restored, so whoever now owns this restored version, please, please release it on blu-ray.
RB
Glasgow, Scotland.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Walsh61 said:
You may be right James. I thought I remembered seeing a laser disc of this movie that was a Criterion release, but I may be thinking of another release I saw. At my age your memory starts playing tricks on you.
James is correct. THE HUNCHBACK (1939) was released through Image Entertainment and had a mildly informative (but partial) commentary track by Paul Mandell. Warner Bros. released on laser disc also but without the commentary.I would give a week's paycheck to see this restored and transferred to blu-ray.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
John Hermes said:
Here's a link to the Blu-ray version:
http://www.classicflix.com/quiet-bluray-60th-anniversary-special-edition-p-13131.html
The odd thing is that the Blu-ray version is selling for $0.01 less than the DVD, even though it lists for $5 more (plus the description says DVD). Wonder if they don't have some cleanup to do.
I'd sure love to have a nice copy of this to replace the DVD before March 17...
Edit: Looks like there is a 3-day special pre-order price on the blu-ray.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Wo hoo!
Finally.
Here's hoping for the real restoration/remastering this time.
But, do we have to have that same smaltzy Maltin doc... yet again?. But, I do realize that Olive Films tends not to offer much in the special features department beyond what is usually already out there.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Joel Fontenot said:
Wo hoo!
But, do we have to have that same smaltzy Maltin doc... yet again?.
Well they do get lots of complaints when previous extras aren't ported over, meaning you have to hang on to earlier discs.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by lukejosephchung /t/320915/the-quiet-man-any-news-on-a-blu-ray-anniversary-release/30#post_3994946
According to the link, it's a brand new 4k restoration scan...

Which is why I'm hoping for the best instead of writing it off like most Olive releases. I watched "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" last night on Blu and it was quite awful in parts. "High Noon" looks better then DVD, but far from spec for the format. There's about 8 Olive releases I'd like to get, but I'm waiting for a bargain bin price before doing so since the quality is so all over the place.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Brian McHale said:
Here's a link to the Blu-ray version:
http://www.classicflix.com/quiet-bluray-60th-anniversary-special-edition-p-13131.html
The odd thing is that the Blu-ray version is selling for $0.01 less than the DVD, even though it lists for $5 more (plus the description says DVD). Wonder if they don't have some cleanup to do.
I'd sure love to have a nice copy of this to replace the DVD before March 17...
Edit: Looks like there is a 3-day special pre-order price on the blu-ray.
FINALLY!! The Quiet Man and the '30s version of The Man Who Knew Too Much have been on my most wanted list for a quality release for a very long time. It's fantastic that they're coming in the same month!.
:dance:

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by lukejosephchung /t/320915/the-quiet-man-any-news-on-a-blu-ray-anniversary-release/30#post_3994946
According to the link, it's a brand new 4k restoration scan...

That's good news, it's what they sometimes do after the scan that worries me, hopefully this one will be done right and i can come back here and praise it next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks