The Quiet Man - BD Release 01-22-13

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by FoxyMulder, May 23, 2012.

1. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot
    I wonder if Mr. Harris can find out any information about the source of this 4k scan?
    Apparently, UCLA has a full compliment of materials for this film in their archives from a full and complete restoration they did back in '09.
    I'm guessing that's half the work. The other half being the actual 4k scan and careful, respectful mastering of the DVD/Blu-ray. And Olive has been known to just use what is given to them as the final product - sometimes good, sometimes not.

2. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Cinematographer

Alan
    Ha, people are being very cautious about this release, mind you I'm cautious about every release. I never pre-order now (well I did with Lawrence Of Arabia, but I think I was pretty safe there), I always read the net first. I can't take what I read as gospel, but I do get an overall impression.

3. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Olive's discs have always been a tremendous improvement over the previous DVDs that I'm usually pretty satisfied with the purchases I've made with them thus far. The Quiet Man is one of those in which the previous discs were so lousy that I could easily handle a less-than-perfect presentation since it will most likely still be lightyears better than the DVD. That was certainly true with Olive's recent Body & Soul.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    True, but RAH and another individual that I have talked to about the Olive releases do have a very valid point about the lack of dirt removal. Anyhow, I'm buying these releases up because I'm not so sure how long this business arrangement is going to last as I wonder if anybody is making money here.

Crawdaddy

5. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Yeah, I'm not saying there aren't valid criticisms of these releases and there aren't occasional lackluster efforts. A lot of them could be better, like the aforementioned dirt removal, the improper OAR of Johnny Guitar, the window-boxing of some titles, etc. For the most part, these are quickie HD remasters that are only pristine if the source prints are pristine to begin with and (as far as I can tell & read from RAH) little extra work is done to the transfer to polish it for release. On the bright side, it eliminates the possibility of DNR abuse, EE, contrast boosting, or other overzealous post-production tweaking. I know High Noon is a title that is rightly criticized for "fake grain" and other such altering, though it seems to be an exception rather than common practice by Olive. Perhaps it was already an existing transfer that Olive got from Paramount? At any rate, I cut them quite a bit of slack (maybe too much?)
    I'd say wait until Twilight's Last Gleaming and see how that turns out. It's the first Olive title advertised as "restored," so it would be a good indicator on how "restored" The Quiet Man will end up being

6. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Olive has been criticized for not doing enough after the scan more than anything else. At least they err on the side of not doing too much. If I had to choose, I'd rather a company leave things as they scan as opposed to an over-processing of the release.

7. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Screenwriter

Luke J. Chung
    Amazon has this up for pre-order on their website...I've already placed mine, it's listed as coming on 01/22/13!!!

8. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Awesome news indeed

9. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

according to Amazon, we may be in for a long-overdue restored Quiet Man for home-theater projection:
    http://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Anniversary-Special-Edition-Blu-ray/dp/B009YX8LO6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353117995&sr=8-1&keywords=the+quiet+man+blu-ray

10. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot
    Yep, that's what we've been talking about since post #32 above a few weeks back with Olive's announcement.
    I'm now wondering about the "original negative" issue. Do they mean the original 3 strip Technicolor camera negatives? Have they been properly registered in the scanning? What was really used, and how was it done? More questions come up about the source and it'd be nice to know a bit more since it seems that the already fully complete UCLA restoration elements weren't used based on past Olive comments about it. But, that could also no longer be the case - so, who knows.

11. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    There is only a single "original negative." As to a newly restored version, if the orig negs are being scanned and digitally conformed, all that should be necessary is some digital clean-up. This is not a neg that should have seen a great deal of wear, unless it's been mishandled. But anything is possible.

Number of runs of the OCN? Possibly 3-4 sets of matrices over the years, a set (probably two) of masters, a couple of IPs, a CRI?

That should be under ten runs on the elements.

RAH

12. Billy Batson

Alan
    This was on Film4 yesterday in the UK, I recorded it just in case, but it was the same old faded sub VHS transfer that's been doing the rounds for years (the fact that it wasn't HD should have been a clue). Roll on January.

13. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Yah, looked atrocious, lots of yellow in that image, the blu ray can't help but improve on that.

14. RobHam

RobHam Stunt Coordinator

I've pre-ordered this before any controversy hits with review copies. The existing DVD is quite frankly a disgrace and even if the BD turns out to have flaws, it has to be better than anything we have seen before on home video.

15. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

Olive Films is listing its release for January 22.
    http://www.olivefilms.com/films/the-quiet-man-blu-ray-60th-anniversary-special-edition/

16. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

17. Rick Thompson

Actually, Digital Bits has to, because that's where I got alerted to it today: "First, Olive Films has set the 1958 version of Les Miserables for BD release on 2/19 (SRP $29.95) along with Don Giovanni (1979). On 1/22, look for The Quiet Man: 60th Anniversary Edition (1952) and It’s in the Bag (1945)."

18. Rick Thompson

Duplicate post.

19. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    The Blu-ray.com review - here - is an absolutely delightful surprise.

20. Billy Batson

Alan
    Looking good, & what a great start to the year.