What's new

The Quiet Man - BD Release 01-22-13 (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Persianimmortal
I'm not clear on this point. What confuses me is that it seems initially almost all Olive BDs were Region Free. Certainly all those I've considered getting, and the three that I have bought (Rock-a-Bye Baby, High Noon and Invasion of the Body Snatchers) are confirmed Region Free and have played back fine for me. Then, in what appears to be a recent decision, their latest BDs are all region locked.
In other words, it looks as though Olive has actually decided to region lock, rather than the normal situation with region coding, in that some titles are locked, and some are unlocked. Is it possible that Olive gets better terms for their licensing (i.e. it is cheaper to them) if they agree to limit geographical distribution by region locking?
Or it's been decided for them? Perhaps, they got reminded about the limitations of their licensing agreement which is why they're locking their releases now. Another possibility is that not all titles are under the same licensing agreement as to which region they can be released to.
Crawdaddy

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I don't have any firm idea why Olive seems to have changed from entirely Zone Free to entirely Zone A locked. I do know that it's not exclusive to Olive. The "revised" BRD of Patton from Fox is Zone A locked but the Wild River BRD from Fox is Zone Free.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Robin9 said:
I don't have any firm idea why Olive seems to have changed from entirely Zone Free to entirely Zone A locked. I do know that it's not exclusive to Olive. The "revised" BRD of Patton from Fox is Zone A locked but the Wild River BRD from Fox is Zone Free.
Yep, I was hoping the new Patton would be region free like all Fox catalogue releases in the last few years, maybe it was the extras. Oh well, they can release it in Europe, or I'll find something else to spend my money on.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Billy Batson said:
Oops! I went & ordered it a couple of days ago, & I just have a B machine, that I'll teach me to jump the gun. Hopefully I can sell it to someone in the UK that can play region A (I'm not getting into all that multi-region stuff). Oh well, my last purchase of any Olive Blu's.
A bit of good news, I got an email from Amazon UK saying that the Marketplace seller could not fulfill the order & they've refunded me.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I am disappointed if Olive have started to region-lock their releases because those I have so far appear to be region-free. I may have to invest in a multi-region player. The only Blu-ray title that I want which will not play on my player is the Criterion release of Bigger Than Life. I have the German Blu-ray release of Against All Flags - it is excellent.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Just read the review from Mr Harris, it sounds like its the best its ever been but far less than it could have been, i wonder if this is a case of Olive not having access to the technology required to align the 3 strip Technicolor or if they have access to it they are too inexperienced to do it right, i wonder why they couldn't get the contrast right either, as for cardboard sleeves, they do no harm and in my opinion i always feel that i am getting something of value when i buy a release with a cardboard sleeve, i like them. I'm disappointed when i read the review by Mr Harris, i think my standards are high and i wanted them to hit a home run with this release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks