What's new

The Official DVD Discoveries Thread (1 Viewer)

Paul Russell

Agent
Now that DVD Discoveries: Limited Edition is shipping, we are very interested in hearing your thoughts on the disc. Your feedback is important to us for a variety of reasons – mainly so others can find out if the disc is worth buying and what areas we should focus on if we decide to create a “Volume 2” later this year.

If you would like to learn more about DVD Discoveries, please visit the official site at Link Removed There, you will find a detailed description of the disc’s content, an interactive tour through the menus, and a teaser trailer.

I have also started a production diary in my DVD 101 column over at DVD Angle. For those interested, it can be found at http://www.dvdangle.com/articles/dvd_101/index.html

For those of you who have not yet purchased a copy, and are waiting for other HTF members to chime in with their thoughts first, please help support Ron and Parker’s efforts by using this special link: Link Removed

Once again, I would like to thank all of the people who helped make DVD Discoveries a reality. Without the support and hard work of the men and women in the industry, this never would have happened. This DVD is not just the work of DVD Angle. While we certainly produced the disc, in the strictest sense of the word, the content was created by the folks who do this for a living. For their work on this disc, and the countless other DVDs out there that bring us all entertainment and joy, they deserve a big round of applause.

I now turn this thread over to you. Please post your thoughts on the disc (the more detail the better), as well as a “wish list” of things you would like to see if we do a second disc.

Thank you in advance,

Paul Russell
President, DVD Angle
Link Removed
[email protected]

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
If you get to do a second DVD-Discoveries, you HAVE to do a short piece on David Shepard and his Film Preservation Associates (Blackhawk Films) company.

He has had some hand in nearly every quality silent cinema DVD... and he works on pretty much a shoestring budget.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I like Patrick said. Along those same lines, how about something on our own Robert Harris and his restoration company?

What about the segements that didn't make it onto volume 1?

ps. still anxiously awaiting my copy...

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Thanks for all the effort you've put into this Paul.

Since you asked, I would be interested in seeing a couple of more TV on DVD features. Here are two ideas:

1. A feature focusing on the general strategy of how studios plan the release of TV shows onto DVD, which would inlcude the debate of season sets vs. best of sets (I know we all favor season) and how syndication rights and music rights come into play.

2. This one is more specifc and perhaps not as realistic: A feature on the process of putting out the complete Star Trek: The Next Generation in 2002 and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine later this year with extras included (and in some cases bonus discs). Getting these out in one calendar year must have been a tremendous undertaking and I'd love some insight into how it was accomplished with TNG and is being accomplished with DS9.

GaryEA

Second Unit
Consider me behind Patrick's idea as well. A segment on Mr. Shepard would be a delight.

Maybe you could contact Joss Whedon and possibly follow the development of one of the "Buffy" seasons, or even "Firefly", if he has that ball rolling.

-g
(also still anxiously waiting for his copy to arrive)

Paul Russell

Agent
Good ideas so far, gang. A segment on restorations would definitely be interesting... I don't know how feasible it will be to do a dedicated piece on something like Buffy or Firefly. There are some major legal obstacles, but I'll be sure to put it on the "wish list" and talk to the nice folks at Fox about it.

Also, I have been receiving emails from people who have gotten their discs. I'm not too sure why everyone hasn't received their copy/copies yet... That being said, fear not, they have all been sent out (for orders placed on or before 01/08). I'm still waiting for confirmation from our fulfillment house that orders placed between 01/09 and 01/16 have been sent.

Best regards,

Paul Russell
President, DVD Angle
Link Removed
[email protected]

Ned

Supporting Actor
THX Studio (www.thx.com): THX has graciously provided a highly sought after segment from their now-discontinued Ultimate Demo disc.

Is this the Wow segment? If so, what happened to all those statements that THX cannot/will not ever sell this to consumers?

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

At least I'm not the only one who hasn't received one yet. I was beginning to worry that it had been stolen from my mailbox or something.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Still waiting too... ordered long ago... received e-mail confirm... waiting....... baited breath...

Paul Russell

Agent
This is a good sign -- finally someone at the forum has received their disc! Thanks for letting us know, Robert...I can't wait to hear your thoughts!

Best regards,

Paul Russell
President, DVD Angle
Link Removed
[email protected]

Jerome

Second Unit
I live in France, and I just received the DVD from a canadian webstore.

The disc is very good. I haven't seen all the different sections but I definetely be there for a Volume 2 of DVD Discoveries.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
How long will the DVD be available? I believe the print was rather limited so is it a matter of simply running out of copies? I'm deciding whether or not I should wait until after Valentine's Day to order this, college budget, ouch, even for ten dollars, especially when I'm only working four hours a week this semester. :)

Adam

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Disregard pervious post. I shouldve read Paul's original post more clearly.

D'OH!! :b

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Matthew:

There is also a direct link on the main page of the forum just to the left of the DVD ETC and One Format Only banners.

Parker

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Where are these being shipped from? According to the email, my copy shipped on January 14th, and as of the 22nd, it still hasn't gotten here (Washington, DC area). Eight days is long, even for USPS.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I received my DVD last week and still enjoying the content very much. Anxiously waiting for the second installment of the disc.

DanC

Stunt Coordinator
Where are these being shipped from? According to the email, my copy shipped on January 14th, and as of the 22nd, it still hasn't gotten here (Washington, DC area). Eight days is long, even for USPS.
I'm in the same boat as Jesse here. Haven't checked the mail today but it does make me wonder, considering that some on the east coast have received their copies already.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks