What's new

The Invaders (1 Viewer)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
well i do recall there were times when they intentionally showed you

no doubt to bring up the scare factor when you saw roy thinnes getting close to him !!

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
jimmyjet said:
well i do recall there were times when they intentionally showed you

no doubt to bring up the scare factor when you saw roy thinnes getting close to him !!
Speaking of Roy Thinnis, it was a bit of a stroke of genius for The X-Files to bring him back about 30 yrs later as an alien himself.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I have been having a blast watching the Invaders. From time to time I'd come across it and think, "Nah, I'm not really into eerie sci-fi". Finally something I read about the show (maybe on HTF) made me think it would be interesting to watch so I ordered season 1 about 3 months ago and immediately got hooked. It's really compelling drama with a science fiction background and great guest stars as per most QM productions. It does have a lot of similarities to the Fugitive, but as much as I have loved that show I find David Vincent an even more sympathetic character than Richard Kimble. He is confident without being brash, relentless without being obsessed. I don't think I'd ever noticed Roy Thinnes in anything before but he is a good actor who can do a lot with a look, or his tone of voice. I am generally able to watch 4-5 episodes of tv a week, and ever since I got the Invaders I have been giving 2-3 of those slots to David Vincent. I ordered the second season fairly quickly after the first, and just watched "The Trial" this week, the episode where Vincent's war buddy is on trial for murdering an invader. I have appreciated how the show never quite falls into a rut. It is a very literate program and every episode I'm never quite sure how Vincent will outwit the invaders. I am really savoring this show and will be disappointed when I get to the end of season two sometime this summer.

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
Spoiler alert - read no further IF you are 'new' to the show....

the final episode; 'Inquisition' DOES stand as a sort of conclusion in that Vincent convinces the sceptical Andrew Hatcher (Mark Richman) special assistant to the Attorney General that the Invaders ARE indeed quite real....he says;
'I'll do what I Can...'

the closing narration says;

'Andrew Hatcher now joins David Vincent in his crusade....Edgar Scoville (Kent Smith) will recover from his wounds and these three will form the vanguard against the Invader...'

The Invaders having withdrawn all their key personnel prior to using the sonic weapon Vincent destroys....thus the show is 'kind of' concluded...but the door is left open for any sequel (or later inept TV Movie that utterly wasted a great chance to update it and wasted Scott Bakula, Terence Knox, and an elderly Roy Thinnes so badly !)

so by 'Inquisition' Vincent, Scoville and the 'believers' HAVE at last managed to convince a top Government official and Vincent has at least achieved his first aim of getting acceptance that The Invaders are already here on Earth - something that by mid season two was being pretty much accepted per most episodes - with plenty of eye witnesses / new 'believers' in; 'The Trial', 'Labyrinth', 'Dark Outpost', 'The Vice', 'Task Force', 'The Pursued', plus actual alien device obtained in another episode (I won't spoil it for anyone new by naming it) , and the authorities capturing an alien at the start of 'The Peacemaker' who then incinerates...

look out for all those curious little odd 'inferences' in most episodes throughout the show's two seasons re Vincent - how he always has money for cameras, a car, plus his 'contacts' we often never see - like a buddy in the C.I.A. ('The Experiment'), or is just allowed into NORAD Cheyenne Mountain by a senior officer ('Condition: Red') who was fully expecting him, a NASA Security guy (Peter Graves) also expects him ("Moonshot'), a gov agent (Lin McCarthy) is tailing him (in 'The Mutation') while a USAF Security Captain (Dabney Coleman) - who has himself gunned down an alien and seen it incinerate - at the episode's ending after apparently angrily throwing Vincent out of his office... then once alone immediately heeds Vincents request for a security check to be run on an officer whom Vincent claims is an alien ('The Innocent')
...and William Windom's U.S. Army Intelligence Major 'sends' for Vincent ('Doomsday Minus One') etc....

WHY ? - if Vincent is only deemed to be just a crank ??

Last edited:

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I remember really liking the episode with Bill Windom. I liked the series overall, and have the DVDs, but really remember that one with Windom for some reason.
Well William Windom was great in everything. I can remember watching The Invaders as a small child. What caught my eyes and stuck in my memory was when the aliens die on Earth they glow red and disintegrate. Several years ago I saw it for the first time since it's original broadcast. I realized that was the show I could never remember from my youth.

I love this show. I believe it is one of the best and maybe even more plausible SF series. When people think of the 1960's Science Fiction I guess Star Trek comes to mind. I preferred the second season because David had assistance from other believers.

Like many shows there are gaps or inconsistencies in the plot or logic but this series kept me spellbound. Like when David would get involved in a case and other people would come to the realization that the world is being taken over by aliens. At the end of the show someone would ask David what he is going to do next or happily go about their life like it never happened. I think if you were convinced that deadly, intelligent aliens were invading earth, it probably will change your future plans.

I have all the original comics and paperback novels of the show as well as an Invaders model of the ship.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
This is one of those shows I watched during first run, making every effort to not miss a episode.

I still have the model of the invaders flying saucer I purchased at that time. You can take the top off and look inside and the legs can be positioned for flying or landing.

Images of model in spoiler (as you can see, it was a *very* quick build):
Atlantis%2BInvaders%2BUFO%255B02%255D.jpg

514a-uFHT7L._SY355_.jpg

The-Invaders-UFO-Model-Kit-1-72-Atlantis-Toy-and-Hobby__41UqLHprUxL.jpg

I was very upset when it wasn't renewed for the 3rd season, but absolutely delighted when it came to DVD! I purchased the DVDs as soon as they came out. It's just as exciting as it was waaaay back then! :)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
The mind boggles at the package design, though. Once again, they've avoided the show's actual logo and flying saucer and seem to be going out of their way to disguise that it's an older show, however, after their photoshopping of the cover image, it would make this appear to be a black-and-white show to the casual shopper.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I love this show and already bought the very nice individual releases when they first came out...but this is good news for those who have yet to get this series. Agreed on the cover design on the case...it's a dramatic pose and backdrop, but the color scheme is dull, washed out and not eye-catching.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Yes, a customer passing this new set on the sales rack at their local Walmart or wherever would be forgiven for thinking the show was in black and white with that washed-out cover design. This set will most likely use the exact same transfers as on the previous sets, and those look very nice indeed, full of that vivid 1960s color that characterizes the era.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks