What's new

The Good Wife - Season 5 (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Between giving false testimony to the judge and threatening to commit outright perjury with Peter, the show's teetering perilously close to making Will an outright villain. That would be a shame, because it would make the show a lot less interesting.I loved Cary's tactic with Kalinda, and Kalinda's reaction to it. As the consummate player, she respects the game.Freeing Melissa George's character from the specter of sleeping with Peter has really focused that character. She was absolutely terrific tonight, and the fiery resolve with which she made it clear that she is a resource for the governor but not a scapegoat was very well executed.The Bruce Springsteen tie-in gave me flashbacks to The WB, which used to have promotional music tie-ins quite regularly.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, Will's vindictiveness has crossed new boundaries, and one of my favorite characters has now become my least favorite.

With all of the jury mix-ups and mania about who was who and who was sitting where, this is one of the only episodes of the series where the legal case at the center seemed a throwaway. I certainly didn't care about it at all, and that's rare that the case doesn't at least have some importance for me.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Victor Garber's increasing frazzledness was impressive. I didn't know anything of the new Springsteen album, but was impressed, as always, by the episode's music. I also loved the abrupt cuts away from the exploding courtroom arguments to calmer scenes. Seeing Alicia lose it in front of Peter was a stressful treat. That doesn't happen on this show often.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Great news. I bailed on his sitcom after two episodes, but I love him as Louis Canning. I just hope they do a good job of making him formidable without being omnipotent.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
With Alicia now in her own firm, I'll be interested to see if Canning continues trying to woo her to his office or if he'll just become another opponent for Florrick/Agos.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I hope Martha Plimpton can do a few cameo appearances. She was one of my favorite, very well written characters.
Any news on whether this will be back for a sixth season?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
No, but it's the most honored and prestigious drama series currently being aired on any of the four major broadcast networks, and its ratings aren't bad, just average. That's certainly enough for CBS to add another season to the show's syndication package.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Stan said:
I hope Martha Plimpton can do a few cameo appearances. She was one of my favorite, very well written characters.
Any news on whether this will be back for a sixth season?
Well, tv by the numbers gives it a toss-up right now. They give Raising Hope an "almost certain to be cancelled." So, maybe we will get more Martha Plimpton.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
NeilO said:
Well, tv by the numbers gives it a toss-up right now. They give Raising Hope an "almost certain to be cancelled." So, maybe we will get more Martha Plimpton.
TV by the Numbers uses a purely mathematical approach. TVLine, which knows a lot of the key players at the broadcast networks, calls its renewal chances "a sure thing."However, they also consider "Raising Hope's" renewal chances "a long-shot." So chances are good that the "The Good Wife" will return next season and Martha Plimpton will suddenly be more available.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Adam Lenhardt said:
TV by the Numbers uses a purely mathematical approach. TVLine, which knows a lot of the key players at the broadcast networks, calls its renewal chances "a sure thing."However, they also consider "Raising Hope's" renewal chances "a long-shot." So chances are good that the "The Good Wife" will return next season and Martha Plimpton will suddenly be more available.
I agree. I don't like TV by the Numbers' approach to predicting renewal or cancellation for shows. They don't take into account the human element (reviews, acclaim, awards, network good will). TVLine does in fact get it right much more often when a show is on the bubble.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I've still got the "Hitting the Fan" episode from last October on the DVR. One of the best the series has ever done. Still fun to watch once in a while.

That entire period where Alicia and Cary were starting up the new firm was very well done.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
This may be one of the best shows ever written about technology in the service of government, good or bad. There are more wheels working, better scripted with a better understanding of technology good and bad then shows that proclaim to be about those things.

The writers bringing in storylines about using NSA wiretaps to spin off investigation through tips and leaks is scary, and unbelievably real.

Tonight was a tight well scripted episode that went to the wall with it's direction

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It's incredibly complex and yet so brilliantly written that it's easy to keep all the various plots separate.

This was the first noble act we've seen Will do in months. Let's see how long he holds his integrity.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The stuff with the NSA is frankly terrifying, especially knowing that it's all based on real stuff the writers are reading about in magazines and newspapers.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Maybe one of those "get a life" moments, but I'm storing this three episode arc until I get all three and can watch as a Good Wife movie. Don't want to wait a week after a cliffhanger, would prefer to just see them all as one. Not reading any posts, will touch back in a few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks