What's new

"The Fugitive" (1963): Season 1; Volume 1 Rumored To Be In The Works! (1 Viewer)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Let me understand this correctly . . . . . a 40 year-old, black & white, hour long drama that's having just the first half of its first season released on DVD 3 MONTHS FROM NOW is ranked at #102 in DVD sales at Amazon? This is absolutely fantastic news and just goes to show you that good story telling and acting never go out of style. I hope that sales go through the roof on this one!

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

That's just about the size of the situation as she exists at the current moment...yes sir. You understand correctly indeed. :)

It's dropped to #120 as of this exact moment on 05/09/07. But I expect it to rise to #78 by 6:55 PM PDT Thursday. :)

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Sorry about that, David. Yes, the ranking for the show on Amazon is indeed impressive and it indicates to me that fans are well on top of things this early in the game considering the more than 3 months wait. I see that there are already 3 reviews, one of which indicated that it had reached #89 at one point. When one considers that the average person is more likely to purchase much closer to release date when the B&M stores announce their prices, this is all a very strong indication that the fan base is very much alive for "The Fugitive".

Jeff#

Screenwriter
How well did The Fugitive sell on VHS in the 1990s?
It couldn't have done too badly, with 1/3 of the series being released on tape.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Sometimes it's really uncanny how you guys think just like I do. Yesterday I went to Amazon.com to officially place my order for THE FUGITIVE and I noticed the high sales ranking as well. I thought to myself, "I need to post these numbers on HTF so the folks know it's doing great and it's still three months away from release." And lo and behold, I see someone did just that! This bodes very well for the rest of the series, which I hope Paramount will fast-track.

Gary "as of 2:30 pm today it's up to #52 in the rankings" O.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Well, you don't, Gary, because I'm not ordering The Fugitive until the beginning of August and I always order from DeepDiscount.com....not from Amazon. ;)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Old habits, as DeepDiscount already has my profile and credit card info. Will Amazon keep it at $26.99 by August? And do they have free shipping as DD does? Those will be the deciding factors for me. :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Yep. On anything over $25.

Plus, you can manage/edit/cancel your orders online...unlike DD.

The best of all pre-order worlds, IMO. :)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Hawaii Five-0's 2nd season to be revisted first at the end of July, and then The Fugitive is next in August.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I'm not going to pre-order this set but I am definately planning to buy it the week it is released, maybe from Wal-mart or Amazon.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if The Fugitive is going to be handled like Streets of San Francisco. I notice that the complete 1st season of Streets is coming out the same day as Volume 2 of the first season.

I wish I had known they were planning this, I may have held out on buying Streets as two separate volumes. I may wait and see if they do this with The Fugitive, as well.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

appears that all they are doing at Amazon is wrapping the 2 DVD sets together. What's weird is that like the Perry Mason "Season 1," it costs more to buy the package deal than to order each set as a half season.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Even though I'm 45 I have never watched an episode of THE FUGITIVE, However, last night I watched two from a VHS which a friend lent me, and I was hooked! The episodes were "Nightmare at Northoak" and "Escape Into Black". I now want to see the entire series! I'll be buying the new half-season DVD.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

I have five VHS tapes of "The Fugitive" each with two episodes that were issued by Madacy (ugh!) sometime in the 1990s in SLP speed and a VHS of the two-part finale issued by Republic in SP speed. The Republic tape has held up reasonably well over the years, but the Madacy tapes are in serious need of an upgrade. It will be a real pleasure to be able to watch this in episode order . . . . . just wish that Paramount had gone the full season route with this rather than split seasons.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.

Those are two of the very best episodes with similar themes, which is why they're combined on that VHS issue. Most episodes are not *quite* that intense, but still each hour-long story is worthwhile in its own right. There are very few clunkers in this series, so you should be well-entertained if you stick with them. Most fans tend to think of the latter color episodes (fourth season) as being the weakest - it's really a matter of taste - some of the themes explored had been done before, and in truth, some of the color episodes do rank among the most exciting.

25 days!

Harry

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank

I don't think it's possible for anyone to watch the show and not become hooked. It truly is the best drama in television history, if not the best show period.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks