What's new

"The Fugitive" (1963): Season 1; Volume 1 Rumored To Be In The Works! (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Bob, we certainly think alike. I'd be concerned about the two things you mentioned. And like you, I've also been keeping my eye on Fox's "Big Valley" progress. It would be the worst of all things for them not to finish that 2nd Season.

And Jeff, you finally found one that I can't dispute. I had forgotten about "Streets" since I couldn't care less about that series. But even with that show on your side, I'd still say the evidence is overwhelming that Paramount (along with all the other major studios) is apt to give it's color shows full season releases over their black & white ones. Heck, if ever a b&w show in Paramount's catalog (other than sitcoms) deserved a full season release it's "THE FUGITIVE." And for them not to release it in a complete season tells me they aren't as confident about their b&w shows as they are their color ones. No doubt about it.

Gary "anyone that thinks the black & white vs. color issue doesn't come into play when these studio execs are making decisions is smoking something - it's absolutely an issue" O.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

At least with Paramount, they'll take a chance on the black & white shows, unlike the other major studios which, collectively, have released less in the way of black & white shows than Paramount has done to date.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Oh, for sure! Don't get me wrong. I've been praising Paramount as the best studio, by far, for releasing classic tv onto dvd. No doubt they are tops in that regard. I just hate seeing great shows like "THE FUGITIVE", "RAWHIDE", and "PERRY MASON" get slowed down with split season releases.

Gary "no doubt Paramount deals with their classics better than all the other studios" O.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
To obtain BV S2 v.1 at the $9.99 price to put it on parity with my $19.99 S1 Wal-Mart purchase seems a tall order indeed, Bob. Maybe I'll pick it up in 2010 at Sam's for around $15 anyway.

Gary, truer words were never spoken, er...written. I don't want to look the proverbial gift horse in the mouth but really, Paramount needed to acknowledge that this series set the bar and was a high, high watermark in the pantheon of classic televison and deserves special treatment. Hopefully, as Michael Alden once posted, they'll be using the 35s for superior transfer, but this set will almost certainly, like "The Untouchables" be devoid of special features which would be a terrible shame for consumers--because though there are plenty of casual fans, there are also legions of highly devoted fans of "The Fugitive".

What concerns me most is though is what is being discussed here--the split season marketing approach. Because if enough people balk at the inevitable $60 per season rate (e.g. BV, Rawhide, Untouchables), that could very well bode ill for the release of the additional 7 sets needed to complete the 4 season run. It's still to early to tell how this "experiment" is going play out. But I just wish this was a Time-Life type mail order complete series release like "Get Smart", then I wouldn't have to sit on pins and needles over this for the next couple of years. The series is just that good that I'd put up the $200+ for the whole shebang.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

It really would be great to have some commentaries/interviews on this set. Barry Morse (Lt. Gerard) and Jacqueline Scott (Kimble's sister) are very much with us and it would be great to have them represented on the set in some way, as well as, possibly, some of the guest stars. I doubt it will happen, but "The Fugitive" is certainly a series deserving of a Paul Brownstein treatment.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Though Barry Morse is nearly 90(!) I believe he retains a very lucid memory and would no doubt have some very interesting topics for discussion to present. Jacqueline Scott is still quite active, looking handsome in her early 70s and appeared in a Twilight Zone convention last year. Her first appearance in "The Fugitive" is in ep. 15 which I believe will be on disc 4 of this upcoming set (last episode). I've always liked her and remember her best when she played opposite Cliff Robertson in the OL pilot "The Galaxy Being".

Pray tell, who is this Paul Brownstein? No doubt the one responsible for the "Get Smart" or "Twilight Zone" Definitive Edition releases?

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Michael, Paul Brownstein is, arguably, the best U.S. producer of special features and bonus materials for classic TV-on-DVD releases. Off the top of my head, he has been involved with the releases of "The Dick Van Dyke Show," the 50th Anniversary release of "Gunsmoke," "The Phil Silvers Show," "You Bet Your Life," season 1 of "Wild Wild West," "Gomer Pyle" and many others, including the two that you mentioned. I believe he's an independent producer for hire, though seems to be doing quite a bit of work for Paramount recently.

It's a little dated, but there's a good interview with him that appeared here:

http://www.hemispheresmagazine.com/d...ews/index.html

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Thanks for that link, very interesting read. Yes, Mr. Brownstein is certainly the one you'd want to helm a tv-on-dvd release. I'm very fond of the WWW and GP releases myself.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Mike, Bob nailed it with his post. Brownstein's the best for TV/DVD sets.

Bob, great post #99. I agree. I don't like the split-season releases either. Big Valley is one of my "Holy Grail's" though....makes this hobby a patience-tester, for sure. As for the Fugitive, you guy's posts are making me crazy for this series :) I only have a faint memory of this one when Dad used to watch it. It'll be a first-time view for me. I assume from the gang's posts, that I won't be dissapointed.... :)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
If Barry Morse did full commentaries for the Fugitive DVDs, that would be great....but it may not be necessary because he already recorded 4 and 5 minute intros for many episodes that came out on the VHS releases back in the early 1990s.

roseha

Auditioning
Real Name
Rosemary
Hi everyone, I joined this board just to talk about The Fugitive!

I just watched episode one at the Museum of Television and Radio in New York last Saturday...what a pleasure after all these years, and how great to see that it's actually coming to DVD!

I would have liked a black and white cover in keeping with the show but I guess color sells....

I did not realize till this week that Mr. Morse was still with us, I would *love* to hear some kind of commentary from him...

The Fugitive was a unique show, needless to say, with its questioning of the justice system, its sense of rootlessness and isolation (all those scenes that David Janssen had to play alone and silent), its moody unpredictability from week to week...I can't wait.

- Rosemary

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Well, Rose...You do realize that there were also color photos taken of The Fugitive even during its black & white seasons, so that justifies their doing that (and it was a good idea actually).

TV GUIDE had color photos going back to its beginnings in 1953. Publicity photos were sometimes in color back then too.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
One more counter to the argument about half-seasons/full seasons, black & white/color is LOST IN SPACE, and indeed that series may be the initial source of the half-season strategy.

LOST IN SPACE season one was all black & white and was released as a full season. Apparently the $80 list price was a bit much for most consumers who opted not to buy it at that price. FOX then countered with splitting season two onward into half-season 'volumes' and coming up with the $40 list price, a figure the public seemed more willing to accept.

Harry

Jeff#

Screenwriter
FOX was nuts to make the first season of Lost in Space $80 retail, just as they were to make each of the original releases of The X-Files around $120. At least X-Files was re-released at $50 retail in thinner packs.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member

I am also unhappy with this trend to 1/2 season releases of TV fare. If "Bleeding the Rock" for $$$$ is their aim with this release pattern, then why don't they adopt the pattern Paramount used with the original release of "Star Trek: The Original Series" & release them in two episode DVDs!!! ;) :eek:

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.

But they held their griound and didn't relent on the price on seasons 2 and 3 either, since each half season cost $40. But I suppose it was a successful marketing strategy, since they continued with it for both TIME TUNNEL and VOYAGE, and now the practice has spread to other companies as well.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Yep, and half seasons of The Streets of San Francisco are just as expensive.
No doubt The Fugitive will be too. But unlike Lost In Space, those shows are worth it. :emoji_thumbsup:

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Yes, the MSRP on this is rather high, indicated by the latest news on tvshowsondvd.com It'll be a challenge to purchase at or near the $40 per season rate we've been accustomed to before this split season business gained momentum for classic shows but I feel fairly confident that Wal-Mart will pull through with an "Untouchables" price of $19.99.

The listing for S1 vol. 1 is now official at Amazon and I see that stalwart "Fuge" fan David VP was able to get the first review in. I don't why someone saw to it to give the first response to the review an "unhelpful", but I attempted to remedy things by clicking the "yes" button myself.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Sorry, Michael, but that "David" isn't me. I haven't put up any comments on that Amazon page (yet). (Except in the "Discussion Board" there, however.)

You had me worried for a second. Because your comment made me think they had transferred one of my VHS "Fuge" reviews to the new DVD page. That would have ticked me off, because it would mean my review for the DVD in August would be buried and dated May '07 (per their newer rules on re-posted reviews).

More about Amazon.....

I'm glad to see Fuge S1/V1 doing quite well right now. It was added to the site only yesterday, and as of this moment it is ranked #102 among all DVD products. And the few (p)reviews on the site have several votes (including Michael's that he aimed at me :)). So that indicates a decent-sized interest in this great TV series, I'd say. ....

amazon.com/GREATEST_TV_DRAMA_EVER!/dp/B000Q6GUSE

(Yes, I added/changed that show description in that URL. It's fitting, IMO.) :D

The take-home price is currently $26.99 at Amazon. Not too bad, IMO. It's for 15 hour-long shows, so that's the equivalent of 30 half-hour episodes. So the pricing looks fair to me (from a "per minute" POV).

Related miscellany for FUGE FANATICS of the world :) ...........

http://www.amazon.com/gp/discussionb...e=ReviewDetail

http://www.amazon.com/gp/discussionb...x1TRH742O2YDWX

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks