What's new

Terra Nova: season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Mikel_Cooperman said:
It is a crapfest. The writing reminds me of Braga's work on Voyager. This show is this years "V" or "The Event."
I'd rank them (from worst to best): "V" [2009] < "Terra Nova" < "The Event". I actually thought "The Event" was very underrated, while the new "V" was an undeniable crapfest. Would have liked more episodes of both, though. This show's somewhere in between. I'm enjoying mostly for O'Mara and Lang at this point, though I like the whole Shannon family except maybe the teenage son. EDIT: Weird formatting issue; full post shows up in edit, but nothing past the less than symbol shows up when posted.

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
I should have been more clear with my extra-point question. I wanted her last name too. Rebecca Jordan. I agree with the consensus that there is a real late Star Trek, ho-hum vibe, which can only be attributed to Brannon Braga. On the other hand, Jon Cassar (24) is quality and maybe it is his input that keeps me watching? My kids really like it, and I think they are its target audience.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Jeffery_H said:
I agree 100% on those comments. Don't forget Bionic Woman and Terminator SCC in that list to name a few others. Like I said many times, it is not that shows that are Sci-Fi fail, it is because they have horrid writing, acting, concepts, etc. that ruin what was or could be good about them. Don't even get me started on Braga, that idiot basically killed Star Trek for fans with his writing. Just look at how low the B&B team took that franchise. Sure, there were some really great shows like DS9, but it fell apart very quickly and many of the shows were co-written or done by others that were so good. Terra Nova is just another example of the trash they keep doing and wondering why it does not work or Sci-Fi fans don't like it more. Simple, we have standards and don't want to be insulted by lame concepts, horrid writing and bad acting.
Remember he was one of the ones who wrote the death of Kirk. That will go down in Cinema History as one of the most botched writing ever. Intersting to see the other Trek writer Ron Moore going on to something as rich as Galactica and Braga still cranking out crappy TV. He and the creator of Heroes should get together to write a pilot.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I kind of like this show still, even though it's definitely cut for the trek formula mold, and is pure family fare. I'll take this any day over stuff like Falling Skies.

Dan M~

Second Unit
I can see by the lack of traffic in this thread that I am not alone in losing intrest in TN. I really wish that some new story line would emerge to carry the show week to week. Let the "sixers" conflict emerge over the season, but start asking, and answering, some of the bajillions (it's a number... look it up! :) ) of questions everyone has. -Dan M~

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Yeah I might be done after this last episode. Or it will probably just get relegated to work out fare.

Originally Posted by Dan M~ ) of questions everyone has.

See, I guess it's a testament to how poorly written, or bad the show is, but I have no questions. I guess because I'm not that interested.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I am considering dropping this series from the DVR. I am watching too much television currently and I really should not be wasting so much time on shows that are just "adequate". I really wanted to like this series which is probably why I've been sticking around but the entire promise of the show (at least in my mind anyway) - delivering a fantastic other world experience - has failed. Where is the sense of mystery and adventure? Just sadly lacking so far to date. - Walter.

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
Greg Kettell said:
SONIC WAVE!
That was the best moment of the series so far, hilarious. I love how he expected everyone to know exactly what to do as if it was a common occurrence.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
This show is a strange mix: the acting is acting quite decent, and in many instances great--especially when you consider how bad the dialogue can be, and how boring the plot is (mostly). Even the kids (minus Josh) are pretty decent.

If the show could just focus a little more on what's clearly the major story arc, I would be fine with it. I don't even need to see dinosaurs or a lot of special effects, really (though I can see how that is a big draw for some people)--I'd be happy with some light sci-fi story-telling (not everything needs to be dark like BSG for me) on a Monday night.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ack! This episode is atrocious ! Slow motion meteor. Slower motion sonic wave. Inspecting microchips with a jewelers loupe...and han repairing. An outpost in 20M BC and they don't have mechanical backups for the electronic locks. No spare chips for the most important device in a shielded safe. A 'holodeck' that has broken and trapped people. And the worst, restate the obvious , dialog. Painful episode. And I'm only 15 min in.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Also: "EMP Pulse"

Probably knocked out their ATM machines, rendering their PIN numbers unusable. No one had money to order beef with au jus.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This was the first episode where I could buy that Maddy is Jim's daughter, temperamentally speaking. I spent the whole episode convinced that the guy who played the impostor scientist was the guy who played Vic the substitute on "My So-Called Life", only to be proven wrong by IMDB. The preview for next week looks interesting.

Dan M~

Second Unit
EricSchulz said:
Did anyone else find this episode painfully boring?
Just the opposit. Finally, mutiple story archs. Lose the "bring the GF back to the past" story and concentrate on the mysteries of the place. I actualy stayed awake through this episode. Yes, it had some bad CGI (Dino-Marlin) and bad teen age drama, but some things they have only hinted about in the past are being revealed/explained. They just bought two more viewings from me as last night was going to be my last. -Dan M~

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I thought this was one of the better eps so far. Graded on a scale that accepts TN's whole-hearted mediocrity :)

Also: How did Jim become an expert archer as a cop in the dystopic future?

"70 meters. No farther."

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Greg Kettell said:
"The Eye" library needs a voice. I think they should get the voice of Apple's "Siri" or a close facsimile.
Why? So after every question you ask it can respond, "I don't understand........"

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I was hoping the secret surrounding Taylor would have been shadier or less cut and dry. As far as stunning revelations go, it was by far the most obvious one. It maintains the status quo that Taylor's a hero and the Sixers are bad guys (who want to destroy the environment, to boot!).

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Whilst I agree with Adam, this is the first episode after 8 extremely mediocre (at best) ones that I actually thought was worthwhile. Not because of how they brought their so-called plot points together but finally we have some sort of sense of where the show is going and an attempt to make you care about whats going on. Sure it's certainly not great but it was good. Problem is much of my goodwill towards the show has been drained away so Im left feeling I will watch the remainder of the season based on this episode as there are only a couple to go, but its going to take a hell of an ending to make me bother with a second season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks