What's new

Terra Nova: season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I think it would have been better if it was hard hitting with more of an edge. Who really wants to watch another Family drama and set in Prehistoric times? Why not something more dense with a wide variety of characters? You can tell from the Pilot there was a mishmash of things thrown together. The tone shifted continually and it showed. It's like they were trying to pick the biggest demographic that they could appeal too. This is nowhere near as good as say, BSG or Firefly. It's not even good as Journeyman.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
And the sad part is, they aren't even managing to hit the demographic that watched LOST. The teenage boy is too young to be interesting to anyone but "tween" viewers, and the husband and wife are too old to be interesting to everyone else. There's also a daughter but she's beyond bland. And the child daughter - who the hell cares about her? Not to mention, the husband and wife married so they're inherently boring. The pale girl who the boy likes is no Kate, that's for sure. So maybe on examination, the show is made for Tweens. Except then why even have the father and mother on the show? No Tween is going to care what the parents are up to. Babysitting with Dinosaurs might be a better title for the show.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Originally Posted by Mikel_Cooperman

This is nowhere near as good as say, BSG or Firefly. It's not even good as Journeyman.

Or 'Life On Mars'.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
mattCR said:
This hits the nail on the head.   My kids love it.   I guess I'll think of it as "Lost in Space" level fun; it's light camp, goofy with better then normal effects.  

There are some shows like that.   Remember was it, Dinosaurs (Not the Mamma!) I never got that, but every Jr. High and younger kid I knew then LOVED that show.   This is trending into that action-adventure category 

Oh, if only it was as much fun as Lost In Space!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The UK or American version? The UK version was very good.. the US version.. not so much.

Originally Posted by ScottH

Or 'Life On Mars'.

/t/304951/terra-nova-season-1-thread/60#post_3858978

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Originally Posted by mattCR

The UK or American version? The UK version was very good.. the US version.. not so much.

I was talking about the US version. Never saw the UK version. I thought the US version was okay. Nothing special, but entertaining. And better than Terra Nova.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Mikel_Cooperman

I think it would have been better if it was hard hitting with more of an edge. Who really wants to watch another Family drama and set in Prehistoric times?
Apparently, families like MattCR's :)

I'm not a huge fan of TN, but how many other Family dramas set in Prehistoric times are there (were there)?

As a guy without kids, my sense -- like with BSG -- is that there is a dearth of big, exciting shows that are family friendly. BSG did not strike me as a show I'd let my (hypothetical) 11 - 15 yr old son watch. Likewise, what tween has the patience for the slow-burn character drama of Journeyman (a show I loved)? Well - we see not even adults have the patience for that, since it's gone :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Exchange of the night: Cmdr Taylor: Found his boots. Dr. Shannon: He's wandering around out there barefoot? Cmdr Taylor: Nah, the feet were still in them. For all its problems, I really like this cast. Lang makes a great ex-military bad ass, with a character here who's more human than his Avatar role. I believe the marriage between O'Mara and Conn, which still has a little sexy to it and a little passion. Most importantly, I buy O'Mara as a father. He does that better than most TV fathers do. The relationship between Jim and Zoe is really well done, in small perfect doses. And I like that he's not the dad who sits the new boyfriend down for The Speech, he's the dad who inadvertently walks in and immediately slips out with an apology.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I'm totally confused by this show. I watch it, think it's really cheesy, wonder why I'm watching it, and tune in again the next week.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Unfortunately, here in Chicago, I didn't get to watch tonight's episode. I was DVR'ing the game so I could watch the Bears game. And the baseball game ran late. They started the episode at 55 minutes after the hour, so I could only watch 5 minutes worth. No repeat scheduled at this time. David

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I preferred the US version of Life on Mars -- except for the last episode of course. I think Life on Mars was mentioned because it is the same actor as the lead in both shows.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Will_B

The dune buggies they drive around in, on Terra Nova, reminds me of the film Megaforce.

Probably not what they were going for.

It doesn't look like the show is expensive, judging by the first episode (not the pilot). Kids with spare time make dinosaur CGI that is just as good (i.e., middling).

I will give them credit for making the outdoor area of the campsite town look very much as it were actually outside. It is probably inside a studio. But it looks, convincingly, as if it is outdoors.
I forgot all about Megaforce, which has never been released to DVD (let alone Blu-ray)

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Yeah, I forgot that the baseball games are on Fox now, which screwed up my recording of this and House. Since I record both, I was able to watch most of this broken up between two separate recordings. It appears that Fox doesn't put stuff online until 8 days after airing too, which is kind of dumb. Anyone able to tell what the guy said to Josh after mentioning getting a message to the future only with the next pilgrimmage? I rewound 3 or 4 times and just couldn't understand him.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Joe_H said:
Anyone able to tell what the guy said to Josh after mentioning getting a message to the future only with the next pilgrimmage? I rewound 3 or 4 times and just couldn't understand him.
I don't remember the exact exchange, but the gist of it is this: Everyone in Terra Nova is under the impression that their time can only communicate with Earth 2149 while the portal is open, the portal only opens to send through each successive pilgrimage. The bartender hinted that that is not the case. It's likely the Sixers have some means of communicating with 2149 at least somewhat routinely. Whether they have a means of communication that Taylor doesn't know about, or Taylor is also in communication with the future fairly regularly but is lying to everyone else about that fact, we don't know about yet.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Adam Lenhardt said:
I don't remember the exact exchange, but the gist of it is this: Everyone in Terra Nova is under the impression that their time can only communicate with Earth 2149 while the portal is open, the portal only opens to send through each successive pilgrimage. The bartender hinted that that is not the case. It's likely the Sixers have some means of communicating with 2149 at least somewhat routinely. Whether they have a means of communication that Taylor doesn't know about, or Taylor is also in communication with the future fairly regularly but is lying to everyone else about that fact, we don't know about yet.
Yeah, I figured that from the end, but just wasn't sure if I missed something by not being able to understand him there. Sounds like probably not. :D

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
The show’s edge is just far too soft. (Probably because of Spielberg’s influence.) The teenage angst story lines are tiresome and should be dropped as soon as possible. Another problem I’m having is how primitive the colony is after 7 years. This is supposedly humanity’s last chance so I would think they would be sending through much more in the way of technology and means of production then we have seen so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks