What's new

Surround Sound Speaker Suggestion (1 Viewer)

Vinamr

Auditioning
Real Name
Vinny Pemma
Hi Experts, This is my first question on this forum. I bought a PIONEER | VSX-1021-K RTL on Newegg.com last week. Can someone suggest a good set of speakers that go well with this receiver. Preferably under $500. Thanks Vinamr

Vinamr

Auditioning
Real Name
Vinny Pemma
Any comments on this speaker set? Any first hand experience.?? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882981013&nm_mc=Criteo&cm_cat=Home+Audio+Speakers&cm_pla=Martin+Logan&cm_ite=82981013&cm_ven=BAC-CriteoBrand Thanks

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Just about any speakers with 8 ohm impedance will "work" with that receiver. Which are the best really depends on your tastes. If at all possible, you should audition speakers before you buy - but we all understand this isn't possible all the time.

At your price point, a full 5.1 speaker system is a challenge. Package deals offer the quickest path to full 5.1, but their weakest point is typically the subwoofer.

I don't have firsthand experience with that particular speaker package - it looks to be pretty typical of most packages, though. Decent speakers, about average sensitivity (88-89dB) -- sensitivity is how efficient the speakers are. ~90dB is good, and means they don't need lots of power to get loud.

The size and frequency response of the subwoofer could be better. 10" and 37Hz isn't great, but it will certainly be better than nothing at all. Size matters when it comes to subwoofers.

Actually, I see now that the package deal is $300 off this week. For ~$300 that will be pretty tough to beat.

You could consider starting with that system, and possibly upgrading the subwoofer at some point down the line. There are some great Dayton models at parts-express.com.

We frequently recommend assembling a Polk bookshelf system from Newegg.com. Something like one pair of the Monitor 40s as your fronts ($150), one pair of Monitor 30s for the surrounds ($120), a matching CS10 center channel ($100), and round that off with a 12" Dayton subwoofer from Parts-Express (currently discounted to $99). Total: $470 plus some shipping.

Polk speakers can be found at Best Buy, so they're pretty easy to find and listen to.

Good luck.

Vinamr

Auditioning
Real Name
Vinny Pemma
Thanks Jason .. I will check BB today. While I have your attention .. I have kind off decided to buy the Definitive Technology speakers. Though a little above my budget .. thought this would be a good investment. What do you think? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Definitive+Technology+-+ProCinema+600+5.1-Channel+Home+Theater+Speaker+System/8206201.p?id=1177718655876&skuId=8206201&st=speaker systems&cp=1&lp=7 Thanks Vinamr

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I the smaller footprint of a satellite system is an important factor for you, then the DefTech system might be a good option. My personal preference is for bookshelf speakers, but then again, satellite speakers have gotten a LOT better since the days when I was shopping for speakers.

Again, I would try listening to the system first. The specs list the frequency response of the subwoofer down to 22Hz, but they don't specify whether that's +- 3dB or not. I highly doubt that an 8" sub can go that low at near reference levels (the specs on the DefTech site aren't any better).

Regardless, if they sound good, then it would be worth considering. Also, if you buy from a local retailer, you can always return items if you realize right away that they won't work in your listening environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks