What's new

Superman Returns Sequel discussion thread (1 Viewer)

CoreyII

Second Unit

You have a wise friend, you should take his or her advice. There are three volumes on DVD, Justice League seasons 1 and 2 which center around the seven core members: Supes, Bats, Wondy, The Flash, The Green Lantern, The Martian Manhunter, and last but definitely not least Hawkgirl. Season 1 is where the water is still being tested, but it is still a good season. Season 2 is where everything kicks into overdrive.

Certain unforseen events occur in season 2 that cause the team to expand and thus the third volume is retitled Justice League Unlimited season 1. Larry, because you seem to be an old school DC fan, I must let you know up front, the Green Lantern they chose for the show is not Hal Jordan or even Alan Scott, but rather Jon Stewart.

When Bruce Timm first announced that the Green Lantern was going to be Jon Stewart at the San Diego Comic-Con, I was a bit skeptical, only because Stewart was always a secondary character in the DC Universe and to me the Green Lantern begins and ends with Hal Jordan. Needless to say, Timm and company made a very wise decision, Jon Stewart is one of the most developed charcters on the show. To be honest each of the core members are well developed characters with their own individual personalities, personalities that don't always go together.

One last note Larry, if you haven't watched the very underrated Superman: The Animated Series, then you are in my humble opinion missing out on the best interpretation of Superman outside of the comic books. If nothing else, watch the third and final season of Superman because it sets up certain storylines that carry over into the Justice League series.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
to tie into my earlier off topic comments- and make them on-topic, I would say that the 'Normal Again'/ Supermans Birthday Surprise theme is what I would envision as a strong opportunity to introduce a character like Mytzptlyx.
A character that seems campy when you first drop the name, but who actually can be used to serve an emotionally deep and affecting narrative.
The thing I like about this hook , especially as it would pertain to the franchise here, is that you can explore several very far out scenarios that are inclusive of and would actually embrace the presence of the son- i.e you could flash forward to a mordred/arthur like conflict with an aged Kal-el and a young adult Jason; you could explore the depth of supermans grief at a life spent keeping a distance from him- or if Jason should die unexpectedly, or the expanse of his happiness at selfishly living as just a family man with Jasons welfare as his sole or primary focus (all this in Kal-els imagination). The thing is, Mytzptlx, as I see the character, allows for being the vehicle to really explore Kal-el/Clark's psyche in a substantial way. Its an opportunity that doesn't as easily present itself when you drop in a villain like Doomsday, or some other 'power' character that pre-suppose a knock-down, drag out, fight scene resolution.
I know thats what a lot of fans want to see in general, but the former scenario still holds potential from eye popping set pieces (even if they are just 'imaginary').
But after witnessing the disheartening lack of originality on display in SR, I don't think Singer is going to be approaching this material with the mindset "what antagonist is really going to let us explore and define Superman for this series of films?" . I used to think Singer was that circumspect about the material he was working with, but no longer.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

Thanks for the info, Corey. I have seen several episodes of SUPERMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES, and enjoyed them quite a bit.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

It does seem to be more prevelant with episodic material. You can deviate for one ep to focus on the inner struggle of the main character, and then next week its back to the regularly scheduled wrestling matches. I think it could work for a single theatrical feature- but it would take plenty of thought and consideration.
I will say that when I first saw the Buffy ep, it packed a whallop for me- it really got across that the season was not just a 'reset' getting them out of an impossible corner, but a very considered continuation.
And even though the JLU ep was by neccessity not as deep, I still found it more affecting than SR.
Seeing the sacrifices that a hero has to make can be extremely moving- especially when the hero never comes out and tells anyone "see the sacrifices I'm making here"- and the idea of complete hapiness being the result of an induced delusion...
I just remembered this is the basis of Solaris as well. I wonder if thats where Moore originally got the idea?

So Patrick, knowing how well Solaris ( a movie I happen to love also btw)did at the BO, I'd say you're probably right.

CoreyII

Second Unit

Actually Paul, I like the idea of pitting Mr. Mytzptlx against Superman, because if nothing else its brings magic into the cinema world of Superman and that is something that has never been done before. But then again it would take a feat of magic to have Bryan Singer even consider Mytzptlx. I'm pretty sure Singer is going to go for a more intergalactic threat. Now whether it's General Zod, Brainiac, or Darkseid is anyone's guess. Magic is also good, because it is another obstacle that Superman really has to work hard to overcome and it's not boring old kryptonite again. Kryptonite has really gotten played out as of late.

I'm inclined to agree with Patrick, but I think Mytzptlx would be a harder sell to the studio heads who after witnessing Superman Returns crawl to the $200 million mark are probably looking more for a villain that can engage Superman in no holds barred superhero smack down thus requiring the use of heavy special effects, thus guaranteeing that butts will fill the theater seats.

Mytzptlx requires the use of Superman's mental prowess moreso than his physical prowess and to the studio heads that are flipping the bill for the sequel that may not translate into large profits. Then again a good director could pepper the film with really good action sequences and still retain the intense mental conflict that would result between Superman and Mytzptlx.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
To continue with the Star Treks films analogy by Singer, SR #3 would the search/revival of someone who dies in #2, and then we get whales in SR #4, and finally we would get Myxpltzlk(sp) in SR #5. Haha.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I agree & disagree with both sides. I liked Singer's direction and casting. Just hated the story he used. The scenes with him saving the city and rescuing the airplane was total Supes. The rest of the story was a rehash/sequel to a 30 year old movie. Spacey would have been awesome as corporate Luther. And like I have said before. The return to Krypton, Richard & the kid should have been left for the last movie of this new remakes. It would have made the scenes at the end of the movie a great sendoff to the series.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I saw a different picture of 'Lois' in a magazine somewhere, and she looked oh so much better than she did in Superman. I think it's that hairstyle I didn't like and that didn't fit the character :).

Re:Mytzptlx

Untill the Animated Series, I had no idea this character ever existed, and Gilbert G. was the perfect voice to bring him to life. He really did start to drive Supes off his rocker, and make him loose his calm. I think it would be a great story if Lex starts a scheme, and Mytzptlx pops in to undo every action that Supes throws at Lex, and see how long it takes Supes to figure out a solution..

That way you can show brain and brawn at work :)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"I think it's that hairstyle I didn't like and that didn't fit the character"

I think it does. While updating these characters for Returns Singer actually went backwards. Supermans suit resembles the old suit from the 50s with the small S and the high collar. Lois has more of a classic Hollywood scarlet look.
Some of the architecture is a throwback as well.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Geez, after watching the documentary You Will Believe that came with the Ultimate DVD Edition, I think i've come up with two of the most evil villains for Supes to fight in the next film, they are cruel, they are devious, they are underhanded...and they go by the name Salkind. :eek:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

It was a joke on my part, i'm referring of course to Alexander and Ilya Salkind, the producers of the Superman films, they were a couple of real hard-asses and they ended up firing Richard Donner from Superman II after giving him nothing but grief for the entire time he was involved with them.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

On the ultimate set they might come off a little better than on that documentary, but I'm not sure. I still disagree with their reasoning for some of their choices they made with Superman 2, and they certainly don't help their side much when you look at how Superman III and Supergirl turned out. In all fairness, I guess they got their best opportunity to tell their side, and at least Illya and Donner have somewhat buried the hatchet.

To stay on topic, though I liked SR quite a lot, I can see why some people didn't, and I wish Singer the best with the sequel, and hope it's a little more accessible without dumbing it down in any way.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
After watching some of the discs from the Superman set, I'm hoping they modify the suit for the sequel. I was watching one of the documentaries on Disc 3 of STM, and the costume designer specifically mentioned how they tried to get the costume to make Reeve look as masculine as possible. I feel that with the smaller S emblem, which while truer to the original design, had the opposite effect. It's strange. For all the new fangled technology and design work they put into the new Returns suit, the old Reeve suit, as simple as it was, just looks so much better.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm on the opposite side of the fence where the costume is concerned. I just watched "Superman The Movie" and the Donner Cut of II, and I like the suit in "Returns" much better. To me Reeve's costume looks like a pair of PJs, while Routh's looks like it's a part of him and the colors seem less "goofy" somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks