What's new

Superman Returns Sequel discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Good one Mike! Dang, you're observant! I think it is a combo after all....good call there. Need to find updated cover art.

Not a big fan of the combos either but I'm a HD-DVD disciple for now ;)

Mike.P

Second Unit
You and me both, Tim - tomorrow I'm making the decision to throw down a pre-purchase on the X360 Add on. We'll be the only college kids at the university with a 58" DLP and HD-DVD, I can damn near guarentee it :).

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Mike, you have to be pretty disciplined to have all that stuff on campus with you. I'd be way too distracted, which is why I leave all my stuff at home for the weekend. I'd never get anything done otherwise. :)

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
How would you feel about a rewritten Mon-El storyline for the next movie? Mon-El could be a villain that in the end becomes Superman friend. Its time to populate the DC universe with more super powered people.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Richard Donner tells about what his plans were for Superman 3 & 4. That he's now going to use in the upcoming Action Comics he is co-writing.

Donner and writer Tom Mankiewicz didn't intend to stop at just two movies, either. They had ideas for at least two more if the franchise kept going up, up and away. And some of those cocktail napkin ideas are going into Donner and Johns' run on Action Comics, which is being drawn by artist Adam Kubert.

Two things both of them can agree on: they will continue their run indefinitely, as long as their schedules will allow it, and the details of their devious schemes for Superman are not for the ears of a snooping reporter from the Daily News. What can be divulged is that the first storyline involves a mysterious alien boy (Mon-el?) in the aforementioned rocket ship who crash-lands in Superman's hometown of Metropolis and may or may not be a second survivor from Krypton.
Future issues will feature incursions by Bizarro, the equally powerful photonegative of Superman, and Brainiac, an evil artificial intelligence.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...p-393277c.html

Will Singer use his old idea's?

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
It does have the ring of nostalgia to it. I have dislikes and opinions about the sequel focusing on his son, but it's way, way, way too early to get worked up about someone's guesses.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Damn, I was going to suggest "Man of Steel" when I read the greenlight, but forgot. Especially if both franchises are pointed toward the team-up movie, it'd make sense to have the titles complement.

Batman Begins Superman Returns
The Dark Knight The Man of Steel
????? ?????
Batman vs Superman

Mike.P

Second Unit
The Man of Steel would be a great title, imo!

Now lets settle on a baddie, that way we have something to debate ;).

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

It is quite interesting. If Singer brings back Zod I'm gonna be very disappointed. It's time to move on from him for now. Anyway, rant over. I'm ready for this flick. Bring on the action and the fun.

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
Zod effin' sucks. I don't want to see Kevin Spacey in there either.

Bring on Doomsday ..kill off this incarnation of Superman and have Tom Welling take over as the reincarnated version.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
I would definitely be ok with Brainiac, that could make for a very fun film.

Doomsday would not be any good on his own. He is a monster, nothing more, no characterization.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I'm sorry but I don't want Brainiac & his Henchmen or whatever type he will have or invent, unless of course if they could work in that he creates Bizarro. Otherwise he's just an Alien Luther. I would rather another super powered villain. Supermans super powered villains are rather poor & I wouldn't mind Singer inventing one.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Brainiac should have been the villan of the first film. Amazingly enough they would have had to change very little to accomplish it to.

Braniac (use the Timm version of the character and make him the Kryptonian AI super computer) attaches to the ship as he looking thru the ruins.
Show Kal in some form of supsended animation on the journey back so that he is unaware of parasite attached to the ship
upon re-entry, Brainiac breaks off and falls into the sea

cut out every single bit of Luthor (imo a very small loss here since so much of the material here is a swipe from another persons film)

this would have allowed much more room to explore the Clark/Lois/Richard/ the Boy/Superman dynamics- without the need to cut back and forth and see the progression of a Luthor plot line that is ultimately nothing new or original

But everything else could play out basically as is-
You could even more easily contrive to get Lois and kid on a yatch (some Daily Planet related party or function) which would have been in the area when a 'new krypton' mysteriously arises from the sea.
no warning, no foreshadowing, it just begins to appear

rest of the film follws the same trajectory except that when Superman arrives on New Krypton, instead of Luthor pulling out kryptonite and dumping him into the water (yet again, arrrggghh) Superman can confront brainiac and they could have had a interesting conversation based on the idea that they are two superior life forms and its in the law of nature for them to supplant this more primitive world with their technology, etc, etc.
and Brainiac being mechanical, is immune to kryptonite which imbedded itself within him during the expolsion.
but the rest of the film could have resolved itself the same way it does now- he basically picks it up and pitches it off into space (or the sun)

I know people hate it when I go on re-writing these movies the way I think they should have been, but honestly- what is lost by canceling out the Luthor material and replacing it a far more appropriate, far more original (i.e not seen 4 films ago) antagonist that would have required VERY LITTLE regiggering of the script durning pre-production.

In addition, you could now explore how the world reacts to Superman, when he is, in some form or fashion, the cause of near catastrophe. That would have been interesting and something that the Donner film (#2) would have implied yet never explored itself.

Thats whats so maddening to me about that movie- and the prospects for sequels. So much potential for true originality, and the opprotunity was right ther in front of them without almost any effort. If Singer was so blind to see that then, I just have little hope for anything truly unique and original in the future.

I hate to harp on it, but someone over on AVS posted frame grabs from the master of SR and the shots look amazing. The film is going to look truly spectacular when it hits HD discs, and I just wish I didn't have to feel guilty watching it knowing so much is a rip off of a film I happen to love.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks