What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Superman Returns Sequel discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I also prefer the look of the new suit in general, though I'd like the see the reds made a bit more red (like the inside of his cape looks).

While watching the "making of" features on the Superman Returns HD DVD, I noticed that Singer had Luthor doing some stuff that was much more "over the top" than what ended up in the final cut. I wonder if there was a deliberate decision to "tone that down" made later on in the process?

It was also incredibly clear just how obsessed he was with Donner's original film, though that came as no surprise. While I liked Superman Returns quite a bit, I'm hoping he got that out of his system now and does something more "unique" the second time around. Also hoping he and the writers make the effort to absorb more of the comic book interpretations of Superman over the years and integrate more of that instead of just using Donner's film as the Bible.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
As much as the SR suit has grown on me over time, I still can't get it out of my head the size of the shield everytime I look at it, it's still far too small for my taste. The reason given by the costume designer for the film is absolutely bogus IMO, she said that you have to work with "the body" your given, meaning that that particular size worked with Routh's body type, if you look at the shield in relation to his chest it's clear that there was a lot more room to work with for the shield.

They should at least blow the shield up and make it flush with the stitching on the shoulders, that would translate into a good size shield.

I just have to remember that the shield was that small in the early incarnations of Supes amd that's enough to get me by. If they choose to keep the shield that small for the sequel that's fine but as was said they need to lose that deep crimson red and lighten that up a bit.

BTW, I loved that footage in the documentary of Routh training underwater for the flying, what an ingenius method for getting some of those moves down!

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

Agree. I like the suit better in Returns as well.

I finally got my HD-DVD in of Superman Returns earlier this week and watched it. :) Pretty tough challenge to equal the experience I had this summer seeing SR in IMAX. All 3 IMAX trips were with one of my best friends...HTF man Josh.C and his wife. That remains one of the most pleasurable and fun times I've had in the Cinema in a long time. Certainly up there with the fun factor of seeing the PT Star Wars films. Can't deny the anticipation and hype was greater for Star Wars....but we really enjoyed ourselves. Even the spirit of the moment got to Josh's wife who convinced me to sneak in since we were waaaay in the back and make sure we got our usual prime seat. :D Of course I did...but repented later. ;) I guess that wasn't a moment of fighting for truth, justice, and the American way.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Anyway, seeing this at home was still a rich experience. It remains my favorite film of 2006. Not only is the quality great but the other intangibles added made it one of the not soon forgotten moments in Cinema.

:)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Design wise the suit is great, I love the rubbery looking cape, the shade of blue and the material used for the tights, the belt, the boots with the S's on the bottoms and the hundreds of tiny S's that are imbedded in the shield.

If they would only make the shield larger and lighten the reds it'll be perfect IMO, those are my only two gripes with it really.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
In photos, I prefer Reeve's suit. On film, I just see Superman, whether it's Routh or Reeve. The costume works because of the guy playing the part.

Linda K

Agent
Real Name
Linda K
Just watched this movie over the weekend. I loved it! One of the best super hero movies I've seen in a while. Of course I'm kinda biased since Superman IS my favorite super hero. :D

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

:cool: Mine too, Spider-man is great, Batman is even better, but none will ever beat the Man of Steel. :emoji_thumbsup:

Oh crap, i'm late for Smallville, thank goodness for DVR's! :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Agreed. Routh never looks like Superman in ANY of the stills. He looks like a guy in a Superman suit. On screen, it just plain works, and I never question him for a moment. Reeve always looked like Superman in the suit, both in the films and in the stills.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'll go ahead and be a blasphemer, but I think that Routh makes a much better Superman AND Clark Kent than Reeve. For me, one thing that makes Returns rise above the previous Superman films is the absence of camp. Reeve's Kent in particular was way too geeky, sniveling, and milquetoast for my tastes.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I don't think that's blasphemy, Doug. Although I still prefer Reeve as Superman, I found Routh's portrayal of Clark Kent to be just as good as Reeve's because it was so different.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Reeve is the classic Superman. He's manlier, he broader-shouldered, he really puts the MAN in Superman. A much more iconic portrayal than Routh's.
That said, Routh was the right man to play the Superman that was required of him. He could project the necessary authority when required (the airplane scene comes very close to being as iconic as Reeve's) but was largely required to deconstruct the man of steel.
It's hard to compare Clark Kents, because there was so little of Routh's in the film. Hopefully that will be rectified with a Clark Kent storyline in the sequel. (Wouldn't it be great to see Lois and Clark actually working on a story in a Superman movie?) The lines between the two were far more blurred in "Returns" though, which had it's pluses and minuses. The only problem I have with Kent in this universe is that his relationship with Lois seems purely professional. Kent may not have been Lois's lover in other portrayals, but their relationship goes well beyond business.

Josh.C

Second Unit

LOL! What a great night!!! It's memmories like that one that keep me coming back to the big screen time and time again. I'm a huge sports buff, and into a hundred different things and hobbies. Nothing can beat a great movie experience. Well, almost nothing

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD

I wouldn't say that but I will do another blasphemy. I prefer Superman Returns to the classic, the mother of all, Superman The Movie! The idiocy of the villains combined with the reversing the time (one of the lamest plot points) kills that movie for me. I would go as far as saying that not one coherent strong Superman movie has been done till now. Singer should have rebooted and remade the original movie completely.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

I also don't think that's blasphemy, Doug. Routh did a wonderful job with the part and managed to both channel Reeve and bring some new nuances to the role.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil

What? You mean that's not scientifically possible? Hmm, would he instead have flattened the people of the earth through super gravity, or flung them off the face of it depending on the way he went? :)

You've got to have some lee-way when dealing with a science fiction movies reality :).

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I know this has been discussed to death and rejected by others. But, the more I watch Smallville. The more I think Welling would have made a better Superman. Its not a knock on Routh. Just that the more I watch Smallville. The more I see the "look", "presence" and even the "chiseled face" of Supes. While people question his acting ability. I have seen great improvement in his acting since the first season. And in a couple of episodes. I have seen him really convey that Supes presence.

And yes... I know he supposedly turned down or doesn't want the role.

Out of curiosity...Can anyone imagine Warner restarting the franchise using the Smallville cast? Also, not saying its even remotely possible. But, with the lackluster support for the SR. I wonder if its ever been discussed as a new way to make a Supes movie while going around the last one.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

I don't agree that it was lacklusterly supported, Todd. Lackluster compared to its budget? Perhaps (though it will probably break even). But it sold comparable tickets to Batman Begins, so the audience is there.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I'm really worried how they use SuperSon. That Kid will be around all the time when Lois is not at work.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Norm:

I think the best way to use SuperSon is to

have him be kidnapped/killed as part of the plot in part II, then have his resurrection/rescue feature in the plot of part III.

Of course, I wouldn't want the entirety of the plot to revolve around this, but it is a way that you can effectively remove him from the plot and let the film still focus on Superman.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrharris
Recent bookmarks