What's new

Subwoofer placement (1 Viewer)

uforia

Grip
Real Name
Marc
I know this is another question about subwoofer placement, and I will be doing the test of putting the subwoofer in my listening positioning and moving around the room, but would still like some opinions and where you THINK it would best perform (incase my judgement is abit off) :)

Below is my ht room, which is fairly to scale (its not that big) so the two spots in the corners would literally put the subwoofer maybe a foot away from the couch, thanks :)
I would think 1 and 2 in the rear corners would be loudest but maybe abit boomy and close to listening position? Or maybe 4 is a good comprimise, still in abit of a corner and not so close...

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/8/87/htf_imgcache_3517.jpeg] [/url]

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Try to pull the couch out from the wall if you can; couch against the wall is never a good thing. I'd use 1 or 2 first, then 4, not 3. 1 and 2 should not be booomy if properly calibrated. If it is, you can always move it away from the back wall until the boominess is reduced.

uforia

Grip
Real Name
Marc
Thanks, I'll try 1 or 2 first...as the listening position is right in the middle of the room/couch 1 or 2 shouldnt matter much...?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

It may make a difference, but that is pretty much impossible to say one way or the other without trying it.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Looks like an ineresting experiment to me! I have heard some say that putting a sub in a corner opposite an opening is a bad idea. But, I think that room geometry would make a huge difference, too.

Just out of curiosity, what is in the bottom left "tunnel" leading out of the room? A long but enclosed hallway could make for some interesting bass boost effects....

uforia

Grip
Real Name
Marc
Thanks for the replies, will be trying this weekend to test and let you know how it goes :)

The bottome left is a little corner to the front door and the bottom right is a hallway opening into the rest of the house.

uforia

Grip
Real Name
Marc
Also just another quick question. Is there a formula to work out how far apart my front speakers should be if I am about 10 feet from them? This is for HT only, thanks

amigohts

Agent
Real Name
Junior R. Mejia
I thought it was recommendable to place the subw in the front.

I got it all wrong. Once more :) (hey blame it on those ht mags that i read)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I've seen a spec (maybe from Dolby??) that says they should be at a 45 degree angle off a perpendicular to the sweet spot.

So at 10 feet from the screen, they should be 10 feet across.

Soooo, uhhhm . . . what John said.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

uforia

Grip
Real Name
Marc
Tested subwoofer placement just now.

Results: Position 1 best/loudest sounding followed by position 2, then 3 and 4 both seemed equally crap :laugh:

Another alternate which would be in the middle for loudness/quality would be in the middle along the side walls between say 1 and 4 or 2 and 3...

William Ward

Supporting Actor
This seemed halfway to my problem. I am moving into a new house in the next couple of weeks and this is my floorplan http://www.crestwoodbuilders.com/wellington.html.

As you can see the family room is quite large but has no corners. Any recommendations as to where to place my 10 inch Velodyne subwoofer? I had planned to place it in the listening area and walk around till I find the best response.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
Are those doors to the bedrooms? I would try somewhere along that east wall of the family room; the upper right LOOKS like you can close the door to the MB and might give you a close approximation of a corner.

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Yes, upper right corner leads to MB and the door can be closed. There is an archway in that corner and the other corner leading to the kids rooms. The SW is open and the NW has a larger archway heading into the kitchen. To the immediate right of that is a smaller archway with a small bar. TV will be along east wall, as well as the equipment. Listening area will be inside the text that gives the dimensions.

Love all that space, hate the lack of a corner.

tonys55

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony
I have read that you can place the sub in the seat you will be listening from. Play some music and crawl around the room. When the you find a spot that sounds good, place th sub there. I don't own a sub and have never tried this but it makes sense.

uforia

Grip
Real Name
Marc
Just an update on my sub positioning. Initally position 1 sounded best, but I think that was due to the big bass boost I was getting and having a relatively cheap Sony sub :) I have since upgraded to an SVS PB12-NSD and found that although it was loud in position 1 it didnt go that deep.....moved it to position 2 and got a MUCH flatter response and turned it up abit louder :D Position 1 had a big peak at around 60hz and dropped alot below that.....positiona 2 was pretty flat all the way through :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks