What's new

Storage? To those with 200+ DVDs (2 Viewers)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Michael, every few months I send an email to Caselogic and Discsox asking them to invent a envelope style sleeve that includes a wraparound pocket for the cover art.

You'd think they'd come up with this themselves. You know, so all three elements of the product can be saved (the cover art aka the "frontcover-spine-backcover sheet"; the DVD itself; and the insert).

I've never received a reply yet. If I was rich I'd manufacture it myself and become rich. The product does not exist. They all expect you to throw away the cover art. As if.

The problem with Discsox and Caselogic is they only have room for the small "insert", which some DVDs don't even come with anyway. Also, Discsox appears to use a smelly vinyl plastic. Caselogic's product doesn't have an odor to it.

Be sure to buy a binder that zips shut. Keeps the dust (and cat hair) out.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Just a quick word about JewelSleeves, which were mentioned earlier - www.jewelsleeve.com
I bought some of these a couple years ago and they are a great design for MUSIC CDs because they allow you to save the back cover art of the CD (notice how these sleeve companies always seem to expect people to throw away part of the package??). So kudos to them for coming up with this design. However the materials used to construct the JewelSleeves absolutely reek. Think "new shower curtain smell." That's a carcinogenic plastic softener you're smelling. Had they used a different material - there is another material that is non toxic, used in many sheet protectors...I am forgetting the name of the material - it would be great. But I couldn't stand the smell or the wet-feeling of the plastic. It made me ill.
Went to www.bagsunlimited.com and bought some resealable pockets instead, made of the harmless material whose name I am forgetting. Looks the same.

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
I ended up buying the Jewelsleeves. But I only put all my CDs (700 or so) in them. I'm still seraching for a respectable storage system for my now 400+ DVDs.

Tom

Mike Brantley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Brantley
I'm closing in on 700 DVDs (676 today), but that's just the start of my media collection. Got tons more VHS tapes (maybe 2,000+), about 300 laserdiscs and lots of material on 16mm and 8mm film. Then there is the stuff on MiniDV and Hi8 videotape, CDs, MiniDiscs, some LPs and a handful of reel-to-reel tapes. So I took over the fourth bedroom, which is a few steps from our theater room, and converted that room into my media vault.

There are pictures toward the bottom of my theater page. See link in the sig. Big metal cabinets stand in the middle of the room along with an editing table to deal with the film reels. All the tapes, DVDs, LDs and CDs are on shelving I built around the four sides of the room. I built the shelving units myself to fit every inch of wall space (and the closet) not used by a door or window. I painted all the wood white to keep things bright, which is a contrast to the black and dark gray paint in the theater room.

The shelves are full now (had a few inches of free space when i took the pictures!), but at this point I am giving away VHS tapes as fast as I can replace titles on DVD. In a couple of weeks, I will get a Panasonic DMR-E20 DVD recorder, and then all the TV series videotapes will slowly be converted to DVD-R, which takes less shelf space.

Brian E

Screenwriter
Right now mine are in two racks from Target.
movies1.jpg

movies2.jpg

The VHS on the bottom of the second rack are gone now, that space is filled with DVD's. I'm currently thinking about building my own rack to replace these since I'm out of space (555 total currently) and have a few piles of DVD's with no home starting.

Roger Kaufmann

Stunt Coordinator
I have been using the Can-Am solution for about 1 1/2 years and am thrilled with them. No problems what-so-ever, find the design and execution flawless, I even have my 120 lb. plus Cinenova Grande amplifier on one of them! Only down side is yes they are expensive, however for best use of space, keeping the DVD's out of site and secure, and organization this solution is tough to beat.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Ok, I know most of you have seen the picture of my Leslie Dame rack on the first page of this thread. Now check this out:
Link Removed
Yup, my weekend project to mod this unit to hold 7 shelves of DVDs (out of the box you can only get 6) was a success. This mod adds room for another 105 DVDs to the unit, for a total of 735 (840 if you use the top shelf). The unit costs $200 shipped, so that comes out to about 27 cents per DVD - not too bad.
I'm organizing my notes and pictures and plan on posting more details on the mod in a few days for those who might be interested in doing this.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Ok, Craig...

You have almost talked me into it, once I see that I can do the alteration instructions, I'm there.

Please post the instructions or email them to me directly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Chad

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Chad, Craig-- yours was the post that convinced me to get the Leslie Dame racks in the first place (and I love 'em!), so bring on the mod!

Peter Rohlfs

Second Unit
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
Major problem with my collection is finding the storage.

When I set up my living room/home theater I had 6 of the video cabinets with the doors that hold tapes also doubling as my speaker stands (I offset the top 1 a bit back so the weight doesn't go on the front where this is no support).

As I've replaced VHS titles with DVD counterparts I use the space on the back shelves for DVDs and the doors for VHS (not deep enough for DVD cases).

I also have a large multimedia starage rack in a hallway that I used originally to hold my 500+ CD collection. I've compressed the cds and frred up some shelves for DVD.

When I got my 32" HDTV ready set, I knew I needed even more room.

I designed and built a storage unit that fits betwwen the arm of my couch and the wall and gives me 3 shelves of storage with leway for larger boxes. I also bult a small rack that fits exactly under 1 of the windows.

I built my own rack for equipment at the same time.

I also put a commercial multimedia shelf in my bedroom.

Alot of work, but worth it.

Peter

Paul D G

Screenwriter
When we bought our house I claimed the storage area under the stairs as my library. With 1500 cds, five crates of records, and plenty of videotapes, DVDs, and cassettes I was getting tired of rooting through boxes to look for something.

It's really hard finding decent sized CD racks but I eventually found one at an unpainted furniture type place where they make all sorts of furniture. That and my old oak case fit all my cds comfortably (tho I'm running low on space now, but there's plenty of duplicates and redunadnts that can be stuck in storage).

I picked up two video tape display cases from this place cheap, $30 or something. Right now they're holding videos, of which I am gradually converting to DVDs as they get replaced. No idea how many DVDs they'd hold, I'm guessing 150 but I'm really bad at guesstimates like that.

On the back of the door is a nice wire rack left by the previous owners. Two different sized shelves. The smaller ones on the upper half are perfect size for the cassettes that aren't in a wood rack (tho I wish they were, cant find any quality cassette racks these days), and the lower half is perfectly sized for DVDs, and is where much of my collection is currently stored for quick access. I don't have as many as some, maybe only 75 or so.

-paul

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Want to see what over 4000 Discs (DVD + LD) look like? Check out the "What's Next" section of my HT site (under the "Neverending Story" section).
;)

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Sorry for the badgering Craig, but is there any update?

UPS has me scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

I'm guessing that it is not that difficult and I will probably figure it out myself, I'm just wondering if there are any tricks.

Thanks again, Chad

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
hey RAF... what happenens when you run out of room? looks like the ol' SOFTWARE WALL is getting a little crowded... maybe another addition to the house... The "RAF Software Vault" ;)
oh, also... don't you think that this thread should be put into the HT SOFTWARE ARCHIVE? There is loads of useful info in this thread that should be saved.

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
I'm a latecomer to this thread but I took delivery last week on my new DVD storage cabinet. A carpenter friend custom made if for me based on a design I came up with, borrowing design cues from my cocktail and end tables. Currently holding 207 titles with some facing out to fill the gaps, each of the 6 shelves can hold 45 standard keepcases for a total capacity of 270. My friend would likely be open to creating more and could probably make it to ship flat so if you'd like me to put you in touch with him send me an email.
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks