What's new

Storage? To those with 200+ DVDs (1 Viewer)

Mike Friedrich

Stunt Coordinator
You are right Brian, like I stated in my earlier post, I prefer units with real wood and glass doors opposed to the open shelf design.
To me this configuration gives you a very functional[less dust & contaminents] and more of a furniture decor look to it.
bodymovn
cool.gif

------------------

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Ok,
So I tried and tried to come up with something on my own but no luck. So I am bringing this thread back to life.
1. For those who own the Leslie Dame CD-1500 rack, http://amos.catalogcity.com/cc.class...035163&ccsyn=1 How light is the fake wood?
2. I like the Barrister racks, http://www.room2store.com/products/mb_1200.php But I know that the capacity is smaller, and again fake wood. Does anyone own this one?
3. I found this over at Hammacher, http://www.hammacher.com/publish/654...imedia%20KWSP# At least it is solid wood, but smaller capacity. Does anyone own this one?
So my criteria is 500-600 capacity and hopefully solid would or at least a good attempt at an oak finish.
Anyone have any input that is not contained in this thread already?
-Chad

Chris Beveridge,
You may have already figured this out but Ill let you know anyway.
1200 DVD's with lets say an average viewing time of 2 hours gives your (1200 * 120) 144000 Mins of Viewing which is (144000 / 60) 2400 Hours.
With 24 Hours being in each day it would take you (2400 / 24) 100 Days of back to back DVD watching with no sleep to watch your entire collection. This works out as (100 / 7) 14.3 weeks or (14.3 / 4) 3 and a half months.
:eek: Thats Scarry!!!

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
Yikes, I had forgotten about this thread, with my post way back as number 11.
For those who saw the picture I had there, well, things have changed a bit since. The Story of the Racks is an article I wrote up for my site that recounted how things have changed over the past four years of DVD ownership for us.
Alistair,
Thankfully the running times vary wildly :) With about 400 anime titles, a good number of them running 75 minutes, 60 minutes and sometimes even just 30 minutes, it skews things wildly. But then again, I just got in a 9 disc set that runs 900 minutes total.
Suffice to say, I've bought a lot of movies that I haven't watched yet, but intend to watch with my daughter as she grows older to help refine her film tastes early on.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
For those who own the Leslie Dame CD-1500 rack, How light is the fake wood?
Do you mean how light as in weight or in finish???

BTW, I just received my 2nd LD rack and this weekend will be attempting to modify it for 7 DVD-sized shelves. It looks very doable. I'll report back when complete.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I went with the Sauder A/V cabinet, which you'll probably find for around $100. Fairly compact and stores around 250-275.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
I've found the perfect solution for me, but unfortunately it will not help the vast majority of you here - it is a shelving system called Lundia, which is produced and sold mostly in Finland.
http://www.lundia.fi
It's a completely modular system and you can tailor it completely to your needs. The shelves can be set to any height with 5 cm intervals, and for that nice finished look you can add glass doors.
I plan to buy tons of these shelves for my DVD's and books - and I even plan on getting a 50cm wide and 60cm deep section with a glass door to use as a hifi system rack!
And no worries about it becoming obsolete any time soon... it's been around for 50 years already, and the new parts fit all the old shelves still.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
I was using a video rack from Ikea, but it was dicontinued. :frowning: Held about 125 disks. I have switched my collection to Ikea's Billy bookshelves. They have glass doors you can add, accent lighting options, etc. Each full height section can hold about 300 disks, with the top and bottom section being double height. Currently I have one full section with a corner unit to display books and special edition tins in. As the HT gets built, I expect to build into one wall a HUGE shelving section.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I've been using the cheap Naturals line of rack that Wal-Mart carries--the kind that holds 200 and like the sort of deco look that they have. For $29.95, what the heck.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Chad, the finish is pretty light. There's a picture of mine in the first page of this thread that you might want to look at.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Thanks Craig,

I must have breezed right by that pic on the first page.

Please keep me, and the rest of us, posted on your attempt to relocate the fixed shelf.

-Chad

Alex Morrow

Stunt Coordinator
I went out to Ikea a few months ago and picked up some of their shelves. I think they're called Grado or something like that. I've got 5 towers and they hold over 350 discs. I need to go out and get another one soon. Running out of space...

Sarah S

Second Unit
For those who have the jewelsleeves...Can you put them into a binder? Or are they just loose in the sleeve? I would prefer something like them; but that I can put into a binder. I just have this vision of coming home to a toppled rack with dvds in clear plastic sleeves all over the floor & my cat looking at me as if to say "What?" :)

Dave Hand

Auditioning
I'm afraid I can only recommend a product to avoid.
I bought two of the cabinets at
http://www.can-am.ca and have regretted it ever
since. They are very expensive compared to other
solutions (I spent about $1100 for the pair and
a top). This will hold about 500 disc for over $2.00
per disc.
They are in fact very attractive on the outside. The
problems are on the inside and there are almost too many
to mention.
There is a sharp edge running along the
entire front of each drawer. The edge holds the
very poorly designed separators. Each time you insert
a disk, you have to make sure to avoid this edge or
you will rip your case and the case will not seat
properly.
The back stops are a flat metal plate with a hole
that slides along the round separators. They do not
stand up and your disks will fall back into the
drawer. Supposedly you can put labels on these stops,
but it's basically useless since they don't stand up.
If you buy the counter top, you will not be able to
see (much less add/remove) disks toward the back of
the top drawer.
The sad thing is, it is really not a matter of them
trying to save money. Much simpler and cheaper solutions
would have worked much better. It is just a matter
of incredibly poor thinking on the part of whoever
designed the ridiculous interior.
Just my two cents, but save your money and buy
something other than can-am.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Chris Beveridge,
You may have already figured this out but Ill let you know anyway.
1200 DVD's with lets say an average viewing time of 2 hours gives your (1200 * 120) 144000 Mins of Viewing which is (144000 / 60) 2400 Hours.
With 24 Hours being in each day it would take you (2400 / 24) 100 Days of back to back DVD watching with no sleep to watch your entire collection. This works out as (100 / 7) 14.3 weeks or (14.3 / 4) 3 and a half months.
Let's see. I have 1017 discs in my collection. My database tells me I have 113,281 minutes of programming time in my collection, or 1888.01 hours.
That is an average running time of 1.86 hours each, rounded to two places after the decimal point.
Just remember, for every DVD-18 packed-to-the-gills, there is a 30-minute Sesame Street: 1-2-3 Count With Mr or a 40-minute Africa: The Serengeti.
It all averages out! :D

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
I have the Can-Am cabinets and, aside from not having Dave's problem at all, my cabinets just don't have the sharp edges and separators he described. My experience has been terrific (though I will agree that it's an expensive solution).

Although they are a bit pricier than the Jewel Sleeves product, these look really nice:
http://www.mmdesign.com/movie-storage.htm
I'll have to check out the Case-Logic sleeves as well, because I think these are the only ones that can be stored in a three-ring binder. Which is sounding like the best solution (at least space saving wise) so far...

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I love wood also, cherry. I bought the following from a company called Wood Technology, in NC. Although they list for 59, since I have ordered from them repeatedly, they give them to me for 49.
Link Removed
I ordered then unfinished, then stained and varnished them myself. The 2 shelf units.
Here is a shot of 2 finished units.
Link Removed
I currently have 6 units in 2 stacks, with 3 more units on order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks