What's new

Storage? To those with 200+ DVDs (1 Viewer)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I just wanted to show you guys the cabinet I built a couple of months ago. It hold about 250 DVDs and is made by Sauder (one of those do-it-yourself kits)... plus it has a lock on it too, it was $100 at Lowes.
check it out... closed
dvdcabinet1.jpg

and open!
dvdcabinet2.jpg

Looks nice open and closed (usually it is open though ;) )I am very happy with it and I highly reccommend it to anyone who has lots of DVDs and wants safe storage :)

Wade K

Second Unit
I'd like to see the mod instructions for the Leslie Dame rack as well. After finishing my Macquarium this week, I don't feel like putting the tools away just yet.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I dont have a picture but I went out and bought a 7 foot bookcase for KMArt-cost $40 and it stores my 200 DVDs easily.

Todd_Peter

Auditioning
I just have to show off mine too :)
I built these as well when I started to figure out that I was quickly running out of storage room. The shelves should hold close to a thousand discs when full and now hold 468 DVDs.
I had custom shelves priced and they were near triple what I paid to make these and not close to as nice. The bid also didn’t include the center overhang shelf. It was a fun weekend project and turned out pretty good for someone with ZERO woodworking skill! They matched the tank nicely also!
shelves-small.jpg

Click here for a bigger look...

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
what happenens when you run out of room? looks like the ol' SOFTWARE WALL is getting a little crowded...
Rob,
Very perceptive! I have already moved some of the LDs to the back room (where they are stored along with my LPs) and they day might come when the LPs are relegated to sturdy boxes. I estimate I can hold about 4000 DVD titles on the current shelves.
When I built the HT I really thought I'd be set for the immediate future, but the future is coming much faster thanks, in part, to the exponential growth of DVD availability. Another option (which I could use but I would really like to resist) would be to double up the DVDs. Even though it might not look like it in the pictures, all my shelves are ~13" deep so that there is a lot of "dead" space in back of the DVDs. (Actually, the space is occupied by VHS and Beta tapes which are mostly acting as spacers to keep the DVDs in line at the front of the shelves. If I decided to box all the tapes or relegate them to another room I could immediately accommodate 8000 DVDs, but with the slight inconvenience of having to move DVDs to access the ones in the back row. Of course, DVD Profiler has mostly replaced physical shelf browsing so this might not be as big a problem as it might first appear.
Of course, when HDTV DVDs start appearing, all bets are off.
htf_images_smilies_laugh.gif
[/quote][/quote]

Mark W. Smith

Auditioning
I just got the Leslie Dame, Inc. 4-sided revolving tower that is pictured early in this thread. I think its great. Well-constructed, easy to put together (but make sure the holes for the shelves line up right) and looks pretty good. Holds a lot of DVDs. Frankly, I was surprised (no, shocked) at how many DVDs I've collected over the past year or so. Oh, well...I've got some great DVDs!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
OK, guys, I have finally finished my instructions for the Leslie Dame mod! They're pretty long, and there are a lot of pictures, so rather than put them here in the forum I have posted them on my lame website:
Link Removed
Hopefully this will be helpful to you all. If anybody has any questions or comments (especialy of ways I could improve this), please let me know! In particular, there's one drill bit size I don't have exactly right (you'll know what I'm talking about when you read the write-up) - if someone finds the right size please give me a shout so I can update the instructions.
Sorry this took so long - thanks for your patience!

ChrisA

Second Unit
Billy Bags Pro DVD racks at a nice discount are definietely one answer. I purchased a DVD Pro 2000, which holds, GEEZE, I dunno, I have to think because I have around 700 now and there is so much room left. They are also modular and you can seemlessly add on more. Take a look below if you like and go to the pictures section where you can see these Billy bags racks. I love them and they are beauties IMO. A nice discount helps tremendously...

David Glenn

Second Unit
Hey Craig,
Thanks for taking the time to do those mod instructions on the Leslie Dame rack. I plan on getting this rack and will definitly add a 7th row of dvd shelving. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator
Tom,

The only way to deal with DVD Storage Problems is to have a Cabinet Maker or Carpenter do them from spec. I Did and have Storage Capacity for 800. The Unfortunate thing is that No Where can you buy Quality Storage Units that aren't made from Pressboard or Plastic

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I have 2 very nice revolving storage towers. These were actually designed to hold 120 VHS tapes each. But I have found that these towers [similar to what you might see in a video rental outlet] are absolutely perfect to store DVD's!
Each tower is approx. 5 feet high, and can hold 240 DVD's.
I was using them to hold 120 VHS each, but, since a DVD is exactly one-half the width of a VHS tape, I find I'm able to "double-up" on each rung of the tower, for a 240 capacity for DVD's.
Anybody else have these nice towers? I love 'em....but, upon searching all over the Web, I see they're now very hard to find. (Was going to post a picture, but it seems they're harder to locate than Jimmy Hoffa!!)
I purchased mine from www.taylorgifts.com ($199.99 each in Dec. 1999). But now they don't carry them anymore. :angry:
I really think a lot of you guys would love these nice-looking polished chrome towers (if you could only find 'em someplace)!
They're a good storage solution, that takes up very little room space. ;)
I'd be very interested to know if any other DVD-philes out there has one of these towers .... and, if possible, where to get more. Thanks.

Kenneth Vestergaard

Stunt Coordinator
I recently designed my own shelving system, and had a carpenter friend of mine prepare the massive real cherry wood veneer (I guess that's what it's called) for it for me. The shelves are made of aluminium rods, lacquered in black. (think Boltz's concept, I just didn't like the fact they're all metal, plus they're pretty expensive here in Denmark)
It is 150 cm wide, and 180 cm high (I'm not sure what that amounts to in inches), and holds 650 DVDs or 980 CDs, which is enough for the immediate future since my current collection is only around 180 :D
It cost me around $350 for all materials including lacquering, which I think is pretty fair considering it does look quite good IMO and is made from quality materials all around ;)
I'll post a few pictures when I get them published.

PatrickL

Deceased Member
I was looking at getting the jewel sleeves, as I am completely out of room, but the ease that they could scratch the DVD concerned me.
Clay, I had the same concern a couple of months ago when I was looking for a storage solution. I ruled out jewel cases. I looked at something very similar to the s-shell that you linked to. It seemed a good bet to protect the disc, but then, how to store 600+ of them? They can't stand alone on a shelf, and I thought they'd be a lot of trouble (to keep alphabetized and to keep protected) in a binder.

I went with the solution of sleeves with a window on one side - they resemble the inner sleeves that vinyl lps used to come in, except they have a flap on top. I file the discs in cd/dvd file units that fellowes makes, readily available at Staples. Hardly takes up any room at all.

I thought I might mind not having all the dvd cases at my fingertips - I don't mind, as it turns out. I still keep my Criterion cases, and all unusual dvd packaging, out in view, but everything else is stored away in rubbermaid containers where they will stay in top condition. I still have all my discs readily accessible, but now I have a whole lot of bookshelf space back and no more worries about expanding my collection.

Levi Wallach

Auditioning
I am looking for a solution myself. I have a crappy pine rack that holds about 125 dvd's, but I have about 150 now. I have really wanted to get rid of the rack entirely and do what I currently do with my CD's - put them in a big caselogic carryable cloth/leather case. The problem is that it appears that caselogic's biggest case is only supposed to hold 50 dvd's max, and that's with a optional purchase of additional sleeves, so the cost of that totals $50. I'dv have to get at least three of those things! Just wondering if anyone's found anything with a larger capacity to do the same thing and hopefully at a lower price?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks