1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

STAR WARS ON BLU-RAY - FALL 2011

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Finn, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway

I don't disagree, but with THX 1138 the changes definitely make the film more alienating and odd, thereby re-enforcing the intentions of the film and his sensibilities for experimental art house fair in the early 70s. And American Graffiti has one shot changed with a different sky - not really enough of a reason to have two versions on video, IMO.

That he's more interested in the role of producer and technological advancer than filmmaker.

2. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway

Agreed. Gary has some good points, and while killing Han and having Luke walk off into the lone world having failed to defeat the Empire have more dramatic weight than what we get at the end of Return of the Jedi, I just don't see it being as satisfactory, or in all honesty all that true to the matinee serial template. He said it himself in that interview - in the third act you escape the burning tree; you don't burn to death.

3. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Well-Known Member

Lucas was never a promising director. He is an average director, and a very gifted writer.

I'm sure if he digs deep, he can write another great film that is truly original, and refreshingly different from his past projects.

4. Tim Mauldin

Tim Mauldin Well-Known Member

Most likely you're absolutely right. Success and greed will usually inflate someone's ego. It happens all the time. It seems like you personally hold a grudge against the man. That makes no sense. Did he fire you from a job or something? I've never met him, never will. He's never done anything to me personally. I certainly have no reason to hate him. Over a bunch of movies? Of course I don't hate any other filmmaker either.

5. cafink

cafink Well-Known Member

I'm long past the point where I even care anymore. I still enjoy the original trilogy, and if it's ever released on Blu-ray, I'll buy it and have a great time watching it. But beyond that, I no longer have any interest in anything Star Wars.

6. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Well-Known Member

Just that one.

7. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Well-Known Member

Nobody (well, at least not me) is begrudging him financial success in and of itself. Saying so only serves to build up your straw man. It's when commercial concerns significantly impact the integrity of art that it starts getting icky. Feel free to debate where the line is there, but that's the point I'm trying to make.

And if simply being in control of his intellectual property was his ultimate goal from the early days then clearly I had him pegged wrong, but hey you could be right about that.

8. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway

He's been pretty open about how the studio interference on THX 1138 really bothered him, enough for him to seek the control over his product that he has. So, it definitely was an early development.

9. TravisR

TravisR Well-Known Member

Why, because you share the same opinion? Maybe he's right but his opinion is not a fact.

10. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Well-Known Member

Starwars.com is really milking the Blu Ray announcement as they have footage of the Main Event.

11. MielR

MielR Advanced Member

MielR

Cynicism that did not exist 20 years ago. Back then, I, like most of the people who now have a beef with Lucas, admired the man and felt he could do no wrong. I've noticed that most of the people who defend Lucas' decisions today are the ones that are "okay" with the special editions. Great- enjoy the blu-rays. Could you cut a bit of slack to those whose tastes differ from yours? 

I have no quarrel with Lucas in terms of how much money he wants to make, or what kinds of films he does or doesn't direct, but in a sea of multi-version sets from peers such as Steven Spielberg and Ridley Scott, George Lucas stands alone. 

Did WE do that? No, he did it to himself, and it could be remedied. 

12. RobertR

RobertR Well-Known Member

It makes no more sense to ascribe criticism of Lucas to a "personal grudge" than it would be to ascribe praise for him to a personal "man crush" on him. For that matter, it doesn't make sense to talk about me at all instead of the subject at hand.

13. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Well-Known Member

The deleted scene from Return of the Jedi has been removed from Youtube.

Why watch 1!(ONE) cool deleted scene for free, when you can buy the set next year to watch that particular(ONE) scene? And maybe even a few more to boot!!!

Mr. Lucas, your generosity toward fans of the original films is so great that words fail me.

All I have to say about the BD set coming next year is:

"You want this don't you?"

"You will pay the price for your lack of vision"

14. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Well-Known Member

Tim Glover

15. Tim Mauldin

Tim Mauldin Well-Known Member

I have seen enough of your posts to know that it is more than critcism, you have an agenda, and you hate the guy. Also, there is a big difference between having a "man crush" and getting tired of seeing the bullshit that you spew on every single Star Wars thread that makes it's way on this board.

If the original, unaltered, never changed, Han Solo shot first Super-Ultimate in 1080p with perfect color clarity and amazing 7.1 DTS surround sound Blu-Ray box set loaded with extras came out tomorrow you would still bitch about something. You would find some other reason to whine, complain and hate. I picture you as one those snotty, film student, Roger Ebert wannabe types that are never entertained. If I'm making this about you instead of the topic at hand, so what. Give yourself a big pat on the back.

16. TravisR

TravisR Well-Known Member

Respect for a difference in opinion is a two way street though. It's not like the original trilogy-only fans are always angels and vice versa.

17. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Premium
    Supporter

Neil Middlemiss

No argument is offered so no slack is required. I simply took someone to task for misinformation and offered my opinion.

I fully respect those who do not care for the special editions or other elements of the state of Star Wars, but I do not care for the tone, tenor, and language used at times. But my biggest issue is with people offering as fact that which is not certain to be fact. The poster earlier who suggested Gary Kurtz recent statements were indeed fact ( which they may or may not be, but we cannot know that without corroboration) highlights the issue.

18. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Well-Known Member

But that’s just it, it IS a customer driven business model. My understanding is that the DVD release of the special edition cuts of these films were some of the biggest selling releases in the history of the format. This means that the vast majority of the audience for these films really doesn’t care if they have the 1977 cut of Star Wars or not.

Lucas is giving the audience exactly what they are telling him (with their wallets) they want. Spending millions of dollars to please a very small, but vocal group of people, may not seem like a smart business choice to him. Particularly for a version of the film that he personally doesn’t like.

At this point I have some empathy for Lucas. I’m in the process of completing a feature film that was made on a VERY low budget. That budget forced me to make huge compromises from what I had originally planned, and had written in the script. There are shots and whole scenes that I had wanted to film, that I simply couldn’t do because of lack of money and time.

Now I have no illusions of a massively successful film, however if it does get a release and makes some money, I might very well want to take some of that money and finish the film the way it was intended from the start, including recording an all new music score and some additional shots to open up the scope of the film.

Now will I piss off someone who has become familiar with the cut of the film that I’m not 100% happy with, because I’ve made changes? Changes that bring the film closer to what I had originally intended when I wrote the script? Probably, but as a film maker I can really only please myself, and hope the audience likes what I have done.

Doug

19. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Well-Known Member

Well to be fair, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi would not have been possible with out the sales of all those toys.

Doug

20. RobertR

RobertR Well-Known Member

Your personal attack only demonstrates how bereft you are of anything substantive to say.