What's new

Star Trek: Original Series Season One - 11/20/07 MSRP $217.99 (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Oh, they want to sell them. They just want to see how many they can sell for $200, and then when that dries up, they'll lower the price, and so on.

Personally, I'm expecting a price drop on at least the first season just in time for the Christmas '08 release of the new movie. The question then becomes, is it worth the difference to own them for the year in between?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Its not an HD DVD exclusive....its HD DVD/SD DVD exclusive. There is not going to be an SD only release, so people who don't even have HD yet are going to be buying this set regardless.

Also again I have to say that I doubt this will be the final price for this set. I'm guessing more like $150.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Well this isn't really Paramount, this is CBS. Paramount controls the features and CBS controls the TV shows. CBS has stated that it will eventually release this set on BD but that it has no plans for such a set at the moment. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Also it appears there won't be a regular DVD of this release.

Doug

Mark_TB

Second Unit
I was expecting to pay around $100 ($150 MSRP). I own every season of every series of STAR TREK on SD-DVD, but I'm probably going to hold off on this, as much as I would like to have it. The price is just too steep.

The SD side of the combo discs are worthless to me. Since HD-DVD players are so sensitive to scratched and dirty discs, I wouldn't be playing these in anything but my main (HD-DVD) player anyway.

And the lack of the original versions in HD is a disappointment as well. I don't care if the original effects "don't hold up well" in HD; I'd still like them on there if only for comparison.

Mark

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I will buy these when
I can buy ONLY an HD version as I don't want a combo and don't appreciate having no choice in the matter
I can find a season for $100 street.
So I guess MSRP $149, BD only, count me in. Until then, I'm heading over to Thomas' house in Phoenix...

;)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Considering I paid about $140 for all 3 seasons bundled together (granted it was during a sale) my sweet spot price for this 1 season would be in the $75 to $100 range which means the MSRP would have to be no more than $150 which I don't think is going to happen.

I think I'll just be using Netflix to see the episodes if I ever get impatient while I wait for the BD set or a more realistic pricetag on the HD set.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I was just thinking of something.
This season has less than 30 eps doesn't it? And these are spread across 10 discs, which means an average of 3 per disc.
These are 1.33 AR.

2 1/2 hours of HD content in a 1.33 AR should leave plenty of space on each disc for the equivilent number of unaltered eps in 480i.
Even with the IME extras, there should be space left over.

This could have been a truly definitive all in one package- and should have been if they intended to charge over $200 clams for it.

Even taking away the issue of cost- I was just watching some of the new effects reels on YouTube, and they look fantastic...but I hate the idea of overwriting the old effects entirely. At the very least, I think they should complie all the old effects shots for each show and offer them as an extra- just the way the new clips on youtube are- 4-6 minute compilations...just so they are readily available for reference/remembrance.

But this is all academic. They need to drop the srp by at least $50 (and preferably $70).

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor
For that price, they could atleast have gone the extra mile and allowed people to watch the original effects version of the shows through seemless branching.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Yeah i agree that would have been a nice option. However I have the original untouched episodes on DVD so I don't really mind them not being on this set.

Doug

ReggieW

Screenwriter
No doubt, Paramount will receive some very bad press over this price gouge. As a few panelist hinted at Comicon, there will almost certainly be a price drop.

.....By how much is anyone's guess.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

That would have gone a long way with me.

I really want this set, but the combo element and accompanying high price is a real turn-off. Hopefully Paramount will get enough bad feedback to adjust the retail. This is high profile set for HD DVD, and I would hate it to fail because it was priced out of a potential buyer's grasp.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Mist of the new FX are quite good. But not all.
Some are absolutely terrible (mostly the first shows done) and look like a bad videogame and actually look worse than the originals. Some are just incorrect. In the "Kirok" episode, they keep talking about the god that will make the BLUE beam of fire (paraphrasing here) that will divert the asteroid. Well, the new effect had an orange beam. They didn't even watch the episode for continuity's sake, just "hey, let's make the beam orange, it will look cooler"

http://trekmovie.com/2007/02/24/the-...ots-and-video/

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well, let's see; it's July, almost August, that's about 4 months till we can buy the DVD's. Say 2 months to manufacture, package and distribute the discs. That leaves about 2 months left to fix the effects. Assuming they already completed all the first season shows by now or earlier, they might have had time to go back and fix the earlier shows. I got the impression they added staff recently to work on the remasters, so some people could have been assign to tweak the early shows.

This is all conjecture of course. So what we are all hoping for from this set is:
1. Price adjustment
2. Earlier effects fixed.
3. Original optical effects included on HD versions of untouched episodes. (The press release says that there is PIP for the effects scenes so the viewer can compare old vs. new for 7 episodes)
4. Blooper reel, but that will never see the light of day!:)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
If they were not combo's they'd be under $99 for the set. This is the first time I don't want to pay for the SD Version. This set should be made available on both SD and HD Seperate Version and I hate Flippers, guess it's off to Netflix for me.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I'm not sure being a combo has anything to do with the price. The price is where it is because its Star Trek.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks