What's new

Star Trek: Original Series Season One - 11/20/07 MSRP $217.99 (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Holy moly!

Japan is the first country outside the US to broadcast Star Trek Remastered and they are showing in 16x9! Apparently, they were given the widescreen masters. Japan is ahead of the US in home theater gear with 16x9 sets.

They've cropped the live action. I assume CBS Paramount did this as they future proofed the CGI with widescreen masters too. It's all explained here including some screen caps. You can see this means that heads and legs get cut off.

http://trekmovie.com/2007/07/31/tos-...apan/#more-893

I'll post this in the other thread simple because it aplies to both. If the Mods disagree, then by all means, edit me!

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

It's CBS not Paramount. Paramount no longer controls the TV content of their library. They do however control the Star Trek feature films.

Doug

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that was what the "wink" ( ;-) ) was for!
You were comparing an SD DVD price point to an HD Disc price point on the HD software forum.

Do you know what the price was to buy (speaking of SD DVD price points on the HD software forums ;-) ) the "original" series on SD DVD originally?

EDitEDbyED:
Hey, don't "laugh" at "Walker" in HD, someone is going to buy that someday!!! ;-) (wink)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
tilt and scan, gonna be lotsa chopped off heads and things...

now the "redshirts" in the background really WILL seem expendable!

ReggieW

Screenwriter

I believe the SD sets of TOS S1-S3 retailed for $149.99 each. However, this was a few years ago. I seriously did not expect the HD-DVD release to be over $170 retail TOPS. Someone over on AVS (speaking in defense of the high ass msrp on TOS S1 remastered) did point out that half-season sets of The Sopranos on HD retail for $129.99!? This means that a full season of that show could've been more expensive than Trek remastered if HBO had released them as entire season sets. I did not follow the HD release of the Sopranos closely, but did not realize they were priced that high for only half of a season!-- I'm guessing that this is probably the reason why HBO split them up to begin with.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

Actually only Sopranos season 6 was put on HD, and that season had nearly twice the number of episodes of a regular season, with a large break inbetween. "The Sopranos: Season 6, part 1" was released before the second part of the season began airing, on both HD and reg-DVD. Part 2 of the season won't be released for another couple of months.

Sopranos has always been overpriced as well, but a reg. season on DVD is $99, and going by season 6 the HD cost is $129.99 (with actual prices of $80-$90). That's not nearly as bad a mark up as trek.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
No, not that "one".
The original release of TOS on SD DVD.
To get the 1st season on SD DVD, originally, you would have had to buy, what, at least 14 SD DVD (w/two episodes each) at a MSRP of $19.99US each.
So, TOS season one would have set you back, MSRP (which is what we are talking about with this release on HD Disc), like $280US. Can't believe people bought all 40, back in the day!!!
I'm still shocked to see the two episode SD DVD's going for $14.99US each at places like Fry's!!!
Would much prefer this HD set.
Of coarse, the original version on the SD layer w/the new 16:9 effects shots in widescreen & the 'show' in 4:3 HD would make it even better for me! ;-)

Mack Daddy! That new kid keeping you up?!?!?!
Congrats!
I was up as well... watching Starship Troopers for the umpteenth time!

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

So, if we split up "ST:ToS" season one on HD Disc to part 1 & 2, its only $109US per part!!!
Is everyone happy now???

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yes but the complete Season Six has nearly double the amount of episodes compared the usual seasons of The Sopranos. Season Six Part I had 12 episodes (like all current HBO series) and Part II is going to have 9 episodes.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe it!
You posted the "S" season six was less than "ST: TOS" season one.
Then I pointed out, "S" season six was more than "ST: TOS" season one.

Now you post "S" season six has 21 episodes!
Season one of "ST:TOS" has 19 episodes.

"S" season six part one & two on HD Disc is $12.38US MSRP per episode.
"ST:TOS" season one on HD Disc w/SD is $11.47US MSRP per episode.

I'm with ReggieW on this one.

paul_austin

Second Unit
Thats all good and well but the Sopranos hasnt been released on video over and over and each time at a premium price

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Not sure if I was following this last discussion exactly, but I was curious how many episodes The Sopranos had. I'm getting that Season 6 of The Sopranos has a combined number of 21 episodes. Star Trek TOS had 29 total first season episodes.

So that does make The Sopranos much more expensive that TOS Remastered, even if TOS remains at the $217 price. But as Reggie pointed out, TOS Remastered will likely drop in price before it hits the street.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
When did I post that any set cost less than another set? You're right, The Sopranos does cost more than Star Trek and I never said that it didn't. What I said was that the normal sized HBO season is 12 episodes and that's exactly what you get in Season Six- Part I. You're not getting half of the number of episodes that are in a normal sized HBO season with that set.

I have trouble
"understanding" most of
your posts "anyway".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks