What's new

Star Trek: Original Series Season One - 11/20/07 MSRP $217.99 (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
their reasoning is that any HT enthusiast who is willing to shell out 800-5000 for HDTV w/hdcp, $300-1000 for hd dvd or blu-ray player, $800+ for AVR receiver capable of hdcp-hdmi switching and/or hdmi switchbox is going to have enough left over for $200. that's flat out wrong because those same people have ALREADY spent so much $ on their gear that they usually buy the cheapest for the media, not MORE!

that's the *only* target customer who could buy it.

outside of those circles, the avg.+low income people like me who do have HT gear, but can't afford an "extreme HD makeover" yet with the hdcp/hdmi or dvi gears absolutely won't shell that much out just for the SD layer that we know have compatibility issues like the recent children of men combo.

this is regardless of how hardcore you are as a fan. plus, fandom has been dimishing after ENT ended. it was already pretty low then compred to TNG heights. and they're STILL expecting fans to pay that much?

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
indeed. I think they will gouge as much as possible initially and then lower the price after the true diehards buy it

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Enterprise was actually getting about the same ratings as Voyager was. I think the big mistake was putting both Voyager and Enterprise on the UPN network rather than syndicating it. A network that some major markets didn't even carry. Where I live the UPN station also happened to be the station that carried games from a local sports team. The upshot was that Enterprise was constantly being bumped, and no one knew when it was on. By the way, Enterprise is now the Sci-fi channel's highest rated show.

Doug

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

at the current $218 srp?
no. Not even with the inevitable 30% Amazon discounts.
I do think it should have been a no brainer on their part to inlcude seemless branching on every episode and supply the original effects in HD res too.
That is what I would consider to be a 'definitive' release. And if I were dropping big bucks on something, I would expect that it was more or less definitive.
I probably wouldn't watch them very often in the original form- but they would be nice to have to mix into the playlist, to better appreciate the new cgi work- or - to get a nostalgia fix.

paul_austin

Second Unit

yep it's always been my feeling what really hurt star trek was it no longer being syndicated anymore and being only on UPN. Its simple mathmatics, your audience is considerably smaller

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

There is something in what you say, but on the whole I think they were still telling good stories. If redundancy were a problem for audiences then Law & Order would have been off the air long ago. I really think Star Trek lost its audience because no one could find it. I don't think most people even knew what channel their UPN affiliate was on.

Doug

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Ha, ha!
Who said they were "crazy" to charge $19.99US per SD DVD w/only two SD episodes (w/no extra's, no less)?

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I seem to recall a lot of people were put off by that price back in the day. Hey. At the end of the day, you have to decide if you're willing to pay it. You may be, but I'm not, and no, "Oh, its been even higher before" excuse will change my nor a lot of other people's minds.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
$217 for a single season on ten discs? Wow...

I paid somewhere around that from the "Combat - The Complete Series" box set (SD DVD). That´s at least 5 seasons..

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
This could technically be the 1st season of the new remastered eps from all different season that have aired. They still have'nt aired alot 1st season remastered shows.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I'm like 95% certain this is the first season purely. If not, chalk up another reason not to buy, but I'm pretty sure this is the complete first season, hence the same yellow case, etc.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I'm with you on that. It would be perhaps the year's worst DVD release if the set was peppered with episodes from all three seasons. Imagine putting the first disc in and getting "Spock's Brain" instead of "Where No Man Has Gone Before" or "The Man Trap." :confused:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It's the first season of TOS, 100%. That's what the press releases say and what I 've been reading on the Trek sites.

That $217 price is steep. But it's looking pretty likely the price will come down. I am feeling good that will happen, especially after reading Bill Hunt's 2 cents.

Regarding including the original episodes with optical effects in HD, I don't see it happening, not this time. Like Lucas not giving us an anamorphic of OT. If you are watching the Remastered shows on broadcast now, the end credits show stills from the show as it was originally done. Some stills show the Enterprise. They really don't look that good in this remastered version. You can see the scratches in the film from the layers of opticals and the bad matte lines. Maybe I can post a screen grab later.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the originals as part of the HD set. BUt this is the reason they are doing this remaster with CGI. Excuse me if I seem to repeat myself.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Paramount simply believes that they can price TREK at ANY price and fans will gobble it up. I am impressed with what I've seen of the set but not the price.

I think they'll finally be proven wrong if this price doesn't come down. It's shameful that Paramount is attempting to turn Trek into a luxury item for the affluent.

And just think--Paramount has the entire first season of Walker: Texas Ranger priced at $38.95!

(I guess Walker fans should consider themselves lucky)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't matter if they don't look pretty- they represent the state of late 60s technology and budgetary constraints, and the original vision, and what people for 40 years 'had to make do with'. There is ample reason to pay them homage in HD along with the cgi makeovers. And if they come out looking all that much worse- all the better for the artists at CBS digital.
consigning them to a PIP window in handful of episodes is disrespectful, and in some ways disingenuious.

We're talking a few minutes per epsiode here. There is not a THAT much that would be added to each set. You could easily save the erstatz video game fly bys. If I wanted to play video games, I would have bought a PS3. And I sure don't want to maniuplate the Toshiba remote any more than I absolutely have to for anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks