What's new

Star Trek: Original Series Season One - 11/20/07 MSRP $217.99 (1 Viewer)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Btw -

I do not think there will be a quick BD followup on this release. I am not saying it WON'T ever be released, only that I know that it will DEFINITELY be more than six months according to my sources. When the BD set does finally arrive, we do not know what it will cost (I'm guessing "probably" a little less) or if it will have all of the HD-DVD's features. It is mere speculation at this juncture, since this HD-DVD release will likely be price adjusted well before its release date.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member

Paul, you should edit your first post which still has the incorrect info. and ask the mods to correct the thread title.

:)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
looks like they took the initiative themselves Dave.
Wish I could have been there to give them some feedback too, Reggie :)
At the very least I would have cheered that joker on.

Well, there is always another avenue for the patient- wait a year for the next DD sale- even if they keep this ridiculous srp, with DDs 20% off coupons, you should be able to get it for around $130, maybe even $120.
Looks like it will miss this Falls sale by a couple of weeks.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
As much as I love classic Trek, the more I mull this over the more I think I'm going to pass on this set unless they severely reduce that $220 MSRP.

Looks like there's going to be a ton of content coming in Q4 so I can hold out for a few months until a sale/price drop or a hopefully cheaper combo-less BD set gets announced.

I'd really love to pick this up but at that price I might as well stencil "sucker" on my forehead.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
So just curious, what is the maximum price everyone would pay for that set who is ACTUALLY interested in buying it. If you have no plans to buy it anyway, then you don't really count and you can save your time by not contributing here. But for those who actually WANT the set and are put off by the price, what would you pay? And for those who say $35 - $40 max., like I read earlier, get serious. It's High Definition. It's 10 discs. Lost S3 is $124.99. Rescue Me S3 is $99.99 at Best Buy and it's only 13 45 min. episodes. $35-$40 isn't happening. So knowing that, what is the most you would pay for this set?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Okay, that's ridiculous. Best Buy.com has the BR set of S3 listed for $62.99. Not on sale, not in a special offer...regular price. Circuit City.com is $79.95. Where are you pulling $100 from? Planet Earth I've seen at that price point. The Sopranos, yes. But not Rescue Me.

Anyway, to answer the question, when this hits Blu Ray, I'd fork over $100 for this 10 disc set. There are 28 episodes in the season (29 if you count The Cage), which is longer than any other TV season being made now. Obviously, when the number of episodes decreases for S2 and S3, I'd like to see a similar price reduction.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I'd pay anywhere between $75 and $100 when it is all said and done, but it would have to be on BD before I would buy it.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
What a moron I was in the other thread for scoffing at you guys who suggested Paramount would try to bend us over on this. I REALLY want this set, but there is just no way I can pay that price for a single season. Even for $150, it's just too much for a single TV show. $100 or $120 (which would me a 159.99 or MSRP) I would pay, but you gotta draw the line somewhere.

For those waiting for BD, the entire set is one big HDi smorgasboard (hence MS having a presence at the panel), so they will literally have to redo everything in BD-J before it can be released on BD.

Kudos to Martin Blythe and the gang for pricing this obscenely and alienating a large chunk of potential customers!

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I can't believe it's going to be HD DVD exclusive for a while. They must be hoping they can re-sell the set in BD to the HD DVD Trekkers after the format dies.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Oh, I can wait. At that price they made it real easy to anyway. Besides, who's to say that the developers weren't coding the special features in parallel anway. The BD-J spec has been in place for a while, it is only the BD Profile 1.1 PiP spec that was recently finalized.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
It most certainly does. 200.00 is anyone's book is a lot of money.:frowning: But I will purchase it.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Or more likely waiting that BD to finally gets all their specs in a row, which should be later this year, with a little luck.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
It will be on BD, Paramount doesnt miss a trick! I would buy it for $100, but only regular DVD or Blu. The HD combo has no interest for me, as i wont buy what i cant use.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Jason_V, It may be ridiculous, but I'm getting the price tag for Season 3 of Rescue Me BD from the actual price tag that's on the actual set in the actual store. It very plainly says, in both Best Buy stores in my city at least, $99.99.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
I agree, Jason. I thought that price was awfully high. I didn't realize what the SRP was, since I only saw the pricetag in the store. They did something similar with the second season of Twilight Zone, marking it quite a bit above the actual SRP, which I thought you weren't allowed to do.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
WOW. I *Might* have been tempted to upgrade if these had been cleaned up versions of the original episodes - but $200+ for ALTERED (oh, sorry, I mean "remastered") versions? No chance!

ReggieW

Screenwriter

A more ideal msrp for this set would've been $149.99. This was the original msrp of the the regular SD season sets when they were released a few years ago. If it was this price, then you could likely find the set online for under $100 and there would've been many takers (and there still will be IF/WHEN they lower the msrp).

Price aside, I am VERY VERY impressed with this release and the amount of work which went into it (all episodes are in Dolby True HD). It will definitely be a refrence HD release as far as tv shows go in hi-def. The CBS Digital crew gave pretty rational/logical reasons why the elements of the original effects shots from 1966 would not pass the mustard in HD imho. I am sorry, but I always thought the effects on TOS were horrid, and the new shots do not alter the story or characters, so it's not really a big problem with me. There are purists who will always scoff (afterall, the original series dvd's will remain in print with the original effects shots intact in full 480p) at these things, but imho, the series now looks better than ever with this HD release. My only quibble is Paramounts asking price?

Dan Hinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Hinson
I don’t guess Paramount wants to actual sell any of these sets. I’m a longtime “old-school” Trek fan (and a HD-A1 owner), but I’m unwilling to pay $200+ for season 1 only. I’ll happily make do with my original SD-DVDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks