What's new

Sony announces Blu Ray pricing (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
It's already been reported that the initial prices for catalog titles are in-line with DVD prices during that format's launch...and expect heavy discounting at the usual places you get your DVDs.

Sony charging about $10 more for "new" movies bugs me.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well after the usual 40% off it not too bad a around $29 or so. I might buy New Movies at that price but I would definately adopt a "Standard DVD is Good enough" approach to older titles I already own. Trouble is the vast amount of stuff comin from Either format is Catalog titles

PeterMano

Stunt Coordinator

You're making a big assumption that you'll actually be seeing a 40% discount on a new format. I wouldn't count on it.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
*** Yawn... ***

Nothing is for free, nor should it be. The parties involved had invested MILLIONS of dollars (if not more) in their respective HD technologies and having to pay even $30 or $40 retail for HD titles at launch is perfectly reasonable given that, for the very first time, film enthusiasts are actually being given the chance to buy 1080P mastered/optimized copies of films that previously have only been been offered at NTSC-resolution levels.

Any discount, whether 10% or 40% will make the purchase that much easier.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah I don't mind paying more for High Def content, But for most movies I already Own I won't double dip, I'm finding alot of them look fantastic on the Upconverting Player I recently Bought. For some of my Favs probably like Star Wars, Star Trek, James Bond I'll grab the Hi Defs, for the rest I'll stick with what I have, I wonder if alot of us will do the same.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I believe that the Studios are going to find it hard to "lure" the "masses" back to the $40 price level. They have been paying FAR LESS for too long. That high pricing level may well make HD the LD (niche product) of this century. Having "tasted" the low price waters, I will not pay $40 for content I'm seeing listed as the initial releases. Some of those titles are PURE horse manure. HD content will have to be the same as the middle of the road DVD pricing ($20) or I WILL NOT buy!

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Of course, some people are quite happy with high priced horse manure, as long as it's impressive looking and sounding horse manure. :D

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Count me in as another who will absolutely in no way, shape or form pay $35-40 for an HD disc. Hell, even $30 would be pushing it after buying regular DVDs for half that the past few years. Sure, I'd be willing to pay a little extra for high profile releases like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, LOTR, etc., but not for most of the titles I already have.

Jace_A

Second Unit
It's hard to see who the studios are seeking to attract with these titles and this pricing. Most serious film buffs wouldn't touch many of these titles even at $20, so I assume they're after the videophile market, many of whom will buy any old rubbish if they can say they've got the latest, greatest version spinning on their mega-bucks HT system.

I happily spent $40 plus on laserdiscs, but I wasn't wasting my time with the drivel on these release lists.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
They *always* dump crap movies with just a few catalog gems out like this with every format launch. I always scratch my head at this strategy as well...most serious film-buffs interested in HD are not going to be tempted to storm the best buy on release date for Buffy's wild adventure 3.

Rolando

Screenwriter
It's obvious that no studio wants to release their BIG title that always sells millions of copies when their won't even be a million players out there.

That's why the growth will be even slower. Like with DVD, studios will wait for more players to be out before release the big guns and most people will wait for the big guns to be out before getting a player.:angry:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Still, even with DVD there were a *few* cool movies to pick from early on.

Of course, looking at the list most of them were WB titles:

Amadeus
Color Purple
Blade Runner
Fugitive

C'mon Sony...I'll buy the Fifth Element in 1080P...but you've got to give us some *real* titles pretty soon!

I'm waiting in line for River Kwai and Lawrence of Arabia!

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Will only buy when prices hit $20-$30 discounted.
They then should drop to $15-$25 permanent.
When DVD retires, then keep dropping.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
If the 29.99 and 39.99 prices are list prices, then I'm OK with that amount to start (once one format appears dominant).

But if that's the actual price they'll be selling for....no thanks.

Greg T

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like I will be buying Species,Fifth Element,House of Flying Daggers, T-2, Resevoir Dogs, Stargate and maybe Underworld Evolutions to have a reference looking disc thats a new release.
Thats plenty for the first month for me:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks