What's new

Songs you can't hear without thinking of a film (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
What a Feelin'-Flashdance
Fame-Fame
Lookin' For Love-Urban Cowboy
Sounds of Silence-The Graduate
Moon River-Breakfast at Tiffany's
Unchained Melody-Ghost
Time After Time-Romy and Michelle's High-School Reunion
Arthur's Theme-Arthur
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas-Meet Me in St. Louis
To Sir With Love-To Sir With Love

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
For those with the Reservoir Dogs DVD, listen to the commentary soundtrack done by the Rolling Stone's Peter Travers. It's a very informative and insightful analysis to Tarantino's astute selection of music in his movies for particular set scenes. Highly recommended and it gives another dimension to the movie. :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
Colin Jacobson wrote:
And with all these choices of "Singin' in the Rain" for ACO, how come no one picked "Singin' in the Rain" for Singin' in the Rain?
I did, in my posting on page (3) of this thread. I even mentioned the movie the song was originally written for: Little Nellie Kelly.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I did, in my posting on page (3) of this thread. I even mentioned the movie the song was originally written for: Little Nellie Kelly.
Sorry - missed that! I thought I perused all the entries thoroughly enough, but I guess not. Hey, I was patting myself on the back for knowing "Rain" wasn't written for the movie itself - you definitely went above and beyond with your knowledge!

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
Colin Jacobson wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry - missed that! I thought I perused all the entries thoroughly enough, but I guess not. Hey, I was patting myself on the back for knowing "Rain" wasn't written for the movie itself - you definitely went above and beyond with your knowledge!
Well, I double-checked and my research wasn't that great. I just looked at my copy of Singin' in the Rain (SE), which has the singing scenes from the musicals in which the songs originated, and it turns out that the song predates Judy Garland's singing of it in Little Nellie Kelly by a decade! So the movie that originally had the song was The Hollywood Revue of 1929.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Everytime I hear one of these songs, I start laughing, thinking about it's associated scene in the film.

Shake, Rattle and Roll - CLUE
Hey Man, Nice Shot -Cable Guy
Long Tall Sally -Predator
Hip To Be Square -American Psycho
Beautiful Dreamer -Mighty Joe Young

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Well, I double-checked and my research wasn't that great. I just looked at my copy of Singin' in the Rain (SE), which has the singing scenes from the musicals in which the songs originated, and it turns out that the song predates Judy Garland's singing of it in Little Nellie Kelly by a decade! So the movie that originally had the song was The Hollywood Revue of 1929.
Okay, I take back my compliments - you SUCK!!!:D

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Yello - Oh Yeah - Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Blue Oyster Cult - Ballroom Blitz - Wayne's World

John^Lal

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know how many people have said anything about Beethoven or Singin' in the Rain and Clockwork Orange, but whenever i think hear any of those songs, i think of Beethoven or the movie Singin' in the Rain, i can't stand it when people say...hey this is from Clockwork Orange.

OcieB

Stunt Coordinator
He Needs Me - Punch-Drunk Love
Singin' In the Rain - A Clockwork Orange
These Boots Are Made for Walkin' - Full Metal Jacket
Also Sprach Zarathustra - 2001: A Space Odyssey

that's all... for now

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Thought of another one:

What A Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong - Good Morning Vietnam

It's been used in several movies, but that's the first one that springs to mind when I hear it. I wish someone would use Victoria Williams' great cover of it.

This thread is sending flashes of great songs and great scenes through my brain. It's fantastic!

rockinricky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Edwards
Whenever I hear "Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word" by Elton John, it reminds me of the movie "Slap Shot"

Marshall Brewton

Auditioning
"Hey Man, Nice Shot" - Filter - The Cable Guy

Every time I hear the song I picture Jim Carey getting some air off of Jack Black's back. :)

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Well, I've gotta weigh in here:
No one's mentioned Bad To The Bone-George Thoroughgood and The Destroyers - Terminator 2. Until that movie was released, I associated the song with An American Werewolf In London!

Chris_Richard

Supporting Actor
O Mio Babbino Caro - Room with a View
Hurdy Gurdy Man - L.I.E.

That's about all I can add that's new.

On Clockwork Orange music: Everytime I hear Singin' in the Ring I immediately think of McDowell and never Gene Kelly, and I love the 52 film. The other music never gets immediate association with ACO except O to Joy and sometimes the William Tell Overture.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks