What's new

Songs you can't hear without thinking of a film (1 Viewer)

Mike Farley

Auditioning
Tubular Bells -- The Exorcist

25 Miles From Home (???not sure if that's the actual title) -- Adventures in Babysitting

When You Wish Upon a Star -- Close encounters of the Third Kind

Stand by Me -- Stand by Me

Pick up the Pieces -- Superman II

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
In addition to all the other ones:

The Sound of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel- The Graduate.

Also, Tiny Dancer is a big on. One time I was on a commuter bus and the driver had the radio on. They played Tiny Dancer and I really wanted the whole bus to start singing along, but they didn't. Oh well, that's reality for you. :D

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Adventures in Babysitting:

defitely the song Mike mentioned ("Twenty Five Miles"
Performed by Edwin Starr) and
"Then He Kissed Me" by The Crystals

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Yee-Ming,

Runaway reminds me of Crime Story, although the version used on Crime Story doesn't seem the same as the one recorded by Del Shannon
Crime Story is a very cool show with some great music (Miles Davis, etc). :D As a matter of fact, the version of Runaway used in the opening credits was re-written and re-recorded by Del Shannon specifically for use on the show (AFAIK). I'm sure there are others here who know more about the fantastic score of this program.

DonMac,

Good call on Misirlou=Pulp Fiction!!!

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
"mr. sandman" good one!

I thought of Stand by me today also.

LMAO, Eugene if your were around I'd put you in the head lock:D I don't know what's up with my brain cells, Yes Hewey Lewis is the right name to the wrong song:D

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode (Back to the Future)
Huey Lewis and the News - Power of Love (Back to the Future)
Bee Gees - Stayin Alive (Airplane!)
Rage Against the Machine - Wake Up (The Matrix)
Kenny Loggins - I'm Alright (Caddyshack)

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Many Pulp Fiction songs mentioned, but one that springs right to mind:

Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon - Urge Overkill

Here are a couple of obscure ones:

Shake, Rattle & Roll - C. Calhoun(Clue)
Machine - Circus of Power (The 'burbs)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
As a matter of fact, the version of Runaway used in the opening credits was re-written and re-recorded by Del Shannon specifically for use on the show (AFAIK).
I thought Del Shannon committed suicide quite a long time ago (and definitely before the TV show)? of course, I'm speaking purely from passing recollection of bits of trivia here, so I could be WAY WAY off base.

perhaps it was remixed by a producer, i.e. they took his vocal track only, and laid down a new arrangement with new instrumental performances? certainly the solo is completely different, the original is a somewhat cheesy keyboard track, whereas the TV show has a rather cool guitar solo.

Marko_J

Agent
I don't want to repeat anyone else, but i realy thought that someone will mention:

Mad World - Donnie Darko

as this movie is so loved here and it's the song, IMO, that leaves the biggest impression...

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
When I hear the Band's The Weight, I think either of...

Easy Rider

Or, of course, their mesmerizing studio performance of the song with the Staple Singers, from The Last Waltz.

And, at other times, I think of my brother and I, drunk, doing a karaoke duet of The Weight in a Japanese bar.

Good times.

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
"The Color of Money" = Tom Cruise around the pool table doing mock samurai moves lipsynching Warren Zevon's "Werewolves of London". Great song. Great movie. Classic moment! :)

-Dennis

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I thought the qualifier was songs that were not specifically written for or first introduced with the movie?
It was - too many people violating the rule with songs that were made for/first appeared in the movie! (Everyone who picked "Power of Love" - that means YOU!!!)

With all these mentions of Beethoven's Ninth, I'm surprised no one picked A Clockwork Orange for it.

And with all these choices of "Singin' in the Rain" for ACO, how come no one picked "Singin' in the Rain" for Singin' in the Rain?

clayton b

Stunt Coordinator
This one goes without saying but everytime I hear that 'Raindrops keep falling on my Head' tune I think of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Great show. :emoji_thumbsup:

And who can hear 'Mrs. Robinson' without thinking of 'The Graduate'?

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
And with all these choices of "Singin' in the Rain" for ACO, how come no one picked "Singin' in the Rain" for Singin' in the Rain?
for the reason that I thought it was specifically written for the movie and therefore disqualified; as it turns out it was possibly the other way around? in my earlier post I had stated I personally felt that you can't really associate Singin' with ACO anyway since it's also inextricably linked to Singin' In The Rain the movie, and more so IMHO.

I recently bought a compilation 2CD set. there's a song called "Misirlou" by Dick Dale and His Del-Tones. never heard of it, I thought -- wrong, it's the Pulp Fiction opening credits guitar riff thing. now THAT is something I have always associated with Pulp Fiction, and nothing else, and since it appears this song was not specially written nor first released with PF, I think that qualifies?

DaveGR

Stunt Coordinator
heres a few of mine
Layla second act in Goodfellas
Mrs Robinson in The Graduate
Everybodys Talkin in Midnight Cowboy
Que Sera Sera in The Man Who Knew Too Much
Power of Love in Back To the Future
Where is my Mind in Fight Club

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks