What's new

So You Think You Can Dance: Season 4 (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
What was up with the editing? It was like Groundhog Day -- it seemed like it was day 2 in Milwaukee five times, it was snowing/not snowing, snowing/not snowing, snowing/not snowing. Mia's there, then Dan's there, then Mia's there.

I guess they just took the stuff they had left over and edited them into the Milwaukee auditions. But it was not done very well.

BTW, they never made it to NYC, huh? What up with that?

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
You can't possibly believe the former, so let's go with the latter.

I'm watching the last 3 episodes (recorded) and you know, there are things that people who aren't ... followers... get impressed by that experienced viewers (or listeners, etc.) aren't as impressed by, but when some of these dancers have the agility and leg strength to raise a leg up above their heads, I'm really impressed. Not kicking, raising. I love watching it.

I feel a bit bad for some of the amateur dancers that aren't strong at choreography as I'm never sure if they're really showing off what they can do, and might be rejected because of that. I saw two guy twins audition and the first was rejected as, "Nothing we can do with that." When the second guy came on and did something different, the judges like him, invited the first guy back for a shared dance routine, and ended up sending both to Vegas.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Can't believe they booted off Kelly Baker and kept Suzie Garcia.

Also, can't believe they kept Gev over Brendan.

The judges must think their show is the only way these dancers can find jobs. It's highly presumptuous to keep asking the last cut contestants to come back next year.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I was really surprised more with the people that they cut than happy with the people they kept. Of course due to the amount of highly selective editing we won't see why they were really let go. It was interesting to hear that they aren't going to allow Debbie Allen to judge on the show because one of her students made it in the top twenty.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was also surprised they cut the guy (wore black) who danced in the vein of Fred Astaire and Donald O'Connor. Perhaps the different rounds finally zoomed in on a weakness.

I was surprised that both of the 2 Texas dancers (forgot their names) but they were terrible in the ballroom round, but somehow still managed to squeak through.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I can only assume that they saw things that were never (could not) be shown due to time constraints. They cut all of that down to only 2 hours, so we were not given enough information as to why they ultimately made certain decisions. Robert at the begging was amazing though.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

Were those Joshua and Comfort? I actually though he did pretty well all things considering. Comfort was a little grace-less, however...

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
I totally agree. With a lame excuse that she doesn't express herself enough when NOT performing! :eek: Freakin unbelievable. :angry:

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I think of all the dancers I know anything about that made it through, my favorite would be Joshua, the hip hop dancer with the mysterious past. I suspected something when he pirouetted three times after his initial audition, and then the judges pointed out his other ballet move during Vegas week. He must have had some ballet training at some point. For a big guy, he gets a lot of air.

Chelsie is pretty hot even though she looks and sounds like Tanner from The Bad News Bears. The way she walked across stage during her first audition was drop dead sexy. On the other hand, Kherington, the soccer player, looks like Piper Perabo comes across as very boyish.

Actually, this is probably the least atrractive bunch of contestants since the show began. Our nickname for Kourtni's is "Fugly Uma". And Comfort's face is not comforting to look at.

I pretty much didn't recognize any of the other guys from the audition.

I think that Robert Muraine screwed BJ, the popper from the Charleston auditions. I have a feeling that Muraine was scouted by the producers and given a ticket to Vegas in the hopes that he'd make the show. But he shit all over all those opportunities. I think BJ would have worked really hard and not acted like a priviledged twit. Had it not been for Muraine, BJ would have made it to Vegas.

I'm at the penultimate episode of So You Think You Can Dance Australia, and I have a fear that the US version will pale in comparison. There were some jaw-droppingly amazing routines in the Australian version, and the head judge (Jason) is probably the best judge I've ever seen in a reality talent show. At this point, it's all up to the choreographers. They really make the show what it is.

It's possible that the super skanky teacher is talented enough for the competition, but I do not know how any of the judges find her hot. She's probably the most heinous female contestant in the show's history.

Oh, and the whole Katee thing was overblown. They only brought in her and her roommate for the drama -- if her roommate was anywhere near as good, Katee would be home right now.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker

Me too. And letting Kelly Baker go. She was one of the best overall dancers I have seen in a long time. They both must have screwed up pretty bad in some of the other routines that we didn't get to see.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Just my initial rankings of the pairs for tonight:

Katee and Joshua's dance made me shed tears, it was just really moving. Best of the night in terms of emotional impact, and dance synchronicity.

Twitchington was pretty hot. Kherington just makes you want to smile with her when she dances.

Chelsea and Thayne were pretty entertaining.

Susie and Marquis were pretty solid in their waltz.

William and Jessica were good, though Jessica was the weaker dancer.

Chelsie and Mark were very solid given the nutty choregraphy.

Matt and Kourtni were a bit heavy for their jazz number, and lacked snap and pop. Could be an inertial thing for such large dancers paired together.

Chris dances a little too self-consciously, and Comfort needs more time dancing in heels.

Rayven and Jamie didn't quite have the snap in their hip hop number, and it had no flow, just a flatline level of energy.

Courtney G and Gev gave it a good effort, but it lacked technique.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Katee & Joshua and Mark & Chelsie were the best of the night. I don't love everything Mia Michaels does (I thought last year's Neil & Lacey dead father routine was overrated), but this one was really, really good. My only disappointment was Chelsie's poufy dress -- at one point, it looked like Mark was throwing around a giant bath puff. And Even though Katee's "hip hop" solo started off shaky bordering on embarassing, the rest of the routine was great. Which was surprising since the choreographers also created the worst routine of the night. Speakng of which...

Ravyn & Jamie looked like Sesame Street Live! out there -- it was such an awful way to kick off the night. I was sooo appreciative of Dan's unkind remarks because Nigel and Mary (who's starting become the Paula of the show) were too busy patting the new choreographers on the back to make incisive comments. Just about the worst hip hop routine I've ever seen on this show, and that's saying a lot (the hip hop routines on this show usually suck balls).

OTOH, the lacing that Gev & Courtney (aka Casey Affleck & Jeanne Tripplehorn) got from Nigel seemed to come from nowhere. Courtney was a bit slow in her spins, but I'm not sure what Nigel was watching considering it was much better than at least three other performances he praised.

Also below par was Marquis & Susie's waltz. Not only was it boring and passionless, they totally screwed up the last lift. No Nigel, we all noticed. I mean, it was very obvious.

The one routine I just didn't get was Twitch & Kherington's Jazz routine. He wasn't doing anything like jazz dancing (he didn't look like anything other than a hip hop dancer, and the sneakers didn't help), and they never danced in unison or did anything that made it look like anything other than two people fumbling around. The uniform praise was a big head scratcher. I didn't see anything out there that was worthy of any praise, and it was strictly bottom three material for me.

And while you can fault Comfort for not being technical enough, at least she didn't look like she was doing hip hop like Twitch. And at least it was entertaining. Comfort goes from fug to foxy and back to fug again in nothing flat. Weird. Their nickname should be "Comfort-Tree Inn".

Thayne & Chelsea lost out to William and Jessica for best routine choreographed by Gary Shandling and Bette Midler. Now, had they paired William and Chelsea together, they would shit all over most of the other dancers.

Matt (aka Astro Boy) and Kourtni (aka Fugly Uma) looked like they were doing some sort of Vegas magic show. Just overly cheesy and superficial. Matt looked like Lance Burton out there.

But if you ask me what the worst thing about the night was, that's easy -- the camera work was F*CKIN' AWFUL! It looks like they got the same director from Idol who swoops around incessantly and whites out the screen by pointing the camera directly into the lights. Motherf*cker, stay the f*ck put! They're dancing -- just zoom out and in sometimes. Unecessary, distracting, amateurish, and at times nauseating.

Quick SAB:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks