What's new

So You Think You Can Dance: Season 4 (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
If something comes up and I can't resist, then... maybe.

BTW, that one divorcee (the one who danced in jeans with a big knit scarf)was NOT 25. She looked 45. Her friend didn't really look 25 either, but it was at least plausible. Pick an age you can pull off.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Is there an age limit? I thought Nigel said 30, but in an earlier episode there was someone in her 40s according to the caption on the screen.

I thought the housewife (who didn't make it) with 4 young kids was pretty good, considering how little time she would have to practice dancing.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If you are to win the competition, you can't be over 30 by some cut-off date for each season, but you can be as old as you want to be to show up and become cannon fodder for the audition shows, just like on American Idol's audition shows where they have older people shows up and "audition" for the judges just to pad the audition episodes.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
I think this show is much better than Idol for several reasons:

1) They temper the audition aspect by showing a lot more good/entertaining auditions vs bad ones. It also doesn't last 6 weeks.

2) Dancing is much harder than singing someone else's song, especially if you're a break dancer and you have to complete a contemporary dance or ballroom.

3) They always pick at least 3 or 4 hot female dancers who get hotter as the season progresses. They pick at least 2 with a certain look that can be summed up as "girl next door cute and/or sexy."

4) The judges are much better, too. The guest judges really are experts.

5) Cat Deely is a better host than Ryan Seacrest. He is a creepy dolt.

The only place the show lacks is the musical guests.

Anyway, I'm hooked.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Yes - Randy Jackson is an accomplished Bass player and producer - this is from an article in Bass Player Magazine (I'll include the entire link if you are interested in more...)

"Playing bass is my core,” says Randy Jackson, mindful that his chief notoriety is as a judge alongside Paula Abdul and Simon Cowell on TV’s American Idol. However, dig this dawg’s bass pedigree: Housebroken as a pup by Chuck Rainey, groomed among the greats of ’70s fusion, unleashed as a first-call session bassist on loads of ’80s and ’90s radio hits, road-dog with Journey and Mariah Carey."

Randy Jackson!

Selected Discography
Solo
Randy Jackson’s Music Club, Vol. 1, Concord

With Boyz II Men
Motown: A Journey Through Hitsville U.S.A., Decca

With Jean-Luc Ponty (all on Atlantic)
Individual Choice
Civilized Evil
Mystical Adventures

With Journey
Raised on Radio, Columbia

With Aretha Franklin
Who’s Zoomin’ Who?, Arista

With Mariah Carey
Charmbracelet, Mercury;
MTV Unplugged, Sony

With Billy Cobham (both on Columbia)
Simplicity of Expression: Depth of Thought
Magic

With Sam Moore
Overnight Sensational, Rhino

With Stacy Lattisaw
Perfect Combination, Cotillion
With You, Atlantic

With Narada Michael
Walden Ecstasy’s Dance, Rhino

With the Divinyls
Divinyls, Virgin

With Bruce Springsteen (both on Columbia)
Lucky Town
Human Touch

With Whitney Houston (both on Arista)
Whitney
Whitney Houston

With Maze
Silky Soul, Warner Bros

With Bon Jovi
Blaze of Glory, Polygram

With Madonna
Like a Prayer, Sire

With Bob Dylan
Under the Red Sky, Columbia

With Herbie Hancock
Lite Me Up, Columbia

With Billy Joel
Greatest Hits, Vol. 3, Columbia

With Elton John
To Be Continued...., MCA

With Richard Marx
Repeat Offender, Capitol

With Zucchero
The Best of Zucchero, Polygram

With N’Sync
Celebrity, Jive

With Imogen Heap
Megaphone, Almo Sounds

With Travis Tritt
The Storm, Category 5

With Various Artists
Different Strokes by Different Folks, Sony Legacy
American Idol: Greatest Moments, RCA

Instructional Video/DVD
Randy Jackson: Mastering the Groove, Warner Bros.

As far as this show, I'm just not too into dancing enough to watch.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H

Jackson became vice president of A&R at Columbia Records, a position he held for eight years. At Columbia, Jackson produced and co-produced a number of albums, including Eddie Money's Right Here, Trisha Covington's Slow Down, and Flesh and Bone by Richard Marx. He also worked on a number of soundtracks and compilations, including First Wives' Club and The Truth About Cats & Dogs. He subsequently spent four years at MCA Records as senior vice president of A&R, producing Rahsaan Patterson's Love in Stereo, Gladys Knight's At Last, and Jesse Powell's 2001 album, JP.

At Columbia Records, he had met and worked with Mariah Carey, who asked him to write and produce two songs, "Fireworks" and "I Know," for her 2001 film, Glitter. He also co-wrote two songs on Carey's 2003 album, CharmBracelet, "My Saving Grace" and "Irresistible."

There ya go, dawg. I'd say he's qualified to judge musical talent.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
This is the year of the very flexable people. Even the gals are getting into the bending body parts in ways that God didn't intend for them to be bent.

I agree that the one gal that said she was 25 that showed up with her friend both looked much older than 25.

I just wish we got to see more of the dancers that they show at the end that make it through to Vegas. I know they have to show us some of the really bad dancers but I want to see maybe one or two a show instead of every other one.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
For me, BJ was the highlight of the night. The thngs he was able to do with his body and the incredible flexibilty and body control had us giggling and laughing throughout. He must have sucked in choreography, which is surprising since he goes to a performing arts school. On a pure phsyical level, he was better than the popper from last week.

I didn't get the praise for DC Swing. That couple bored me. I hink the judges were just being nice -- it was slow and there were no tricks. Compared to West Coast swing or Lindy Hopping, it was a big dud.

I assume that Anthony has a reputation in the industry for being a big diva jackass. Otherwise, he was one of the best dancers this season, and his exclusion from Vegas is puzzling.

Thw twin in red was better than his brother individually and when they danced together. The other one had no tricks.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
So if an album isn't a hit, it's totally the producer's fault?

Do you also believe that if a movie is not a hit, the director did a bad job? That would be the same logic.

How many hits does someone need to produce to become qualified to judge singers?

Did anyone else think the woman who said she was 30 appear to be more like 45?

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

I had to side with the judges on this one - while his technique and form was certainly stellar, from where I was sitting, his face and by extension his body (no pun intended) lacked any real emotion. It was like he was still in class, and his instructor was using him as an example of form to the rest of the students. "Ok, now watch how his leg stretches back, while his arms are held out like so..." You run in to dancers like this at most schools (I assumme, my g/f was a dance minor at my university, so I can only speak from experience watching there), where they are technically amazing, but so utterly boring that it makes the performance underwhelming.

Nobody wants to see a dancer devoid of joy, or whatever the intended emotion is for a particular piece.

I would also suggest that perhaps int he backs of their minds, the judges were stating that good grades at one of the best schools in the world "don't mean a thing, if you ain't got that swing," so-to-speak.

cheers!

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
There are a lot of contradictory messages from the judges table. For instance, they showcase a freakshow and then berate them for 10 minutes to remind the audience that this is a professional audition and that it should only be for qualified dancers. And yet, they show them. And they feature them in the commercials. Are they trying to discourage them from auditioning or not?

I will step back a bit from my statement that Anthony was one of the best dancers this season. That is not true, but he was talented enough to go to Vegas. I think the judges just didn't like his attitude.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

Some hit and some miss. Jackson has a lot of experience -- granted -- but his track record for producing "good" stuff is dubious at best. That's all I'm saying.

If she's 25, she needs to (1) stop tanning and (2) stop smoking.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I was going to mention that the Salt Lake City auditions were the whitest ones they've ever had, but technically, they're the orangest.

Also, I don't know if there's something about Utah they they don't wear makeup or if it's something in the air or water, but by and large I've never seen such a collection of bad skin.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks