What's new

So You Think You Can Dance - Season 10 (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
DaveF said:
I'm differing from the judges, and I can't figure it out at times. The 'king and queen have tea' dance I loved; they were dismissive. In Nico and Alexis's dance I thought she was very weak, overshadowed by Nico; they had high praise for her.
That's to link up to the later elimination. If they praised Jasmine and dismissed Alexis, it wouldn't jibe with kicking off Jasmine. That said, I thought both routines were lackluster.

That said, I find the judges stay on script (based on what they saw in dress) and all agree with each other for the most part. I find I'm only about 50% on board with their critiques. The other half of the time, I violently disagree.

Hayley is remarkable considering her partner is holding her back. Curtis is just mediocre. I'm totally on the Hayley train (which means she will be cut next week).

Erin Andrews was the worst celeb judge they ever had on the panel. Between her awful Fargo-like accent and terrible attempts at sounding hip, she came off like some middle-aged Minnesota housewife. I cringed with every syllable, and I will be sure to miss the All Star Game now.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I forgot to mention Jenna had the goofiest and most unflattering costume I think I've seen on the show. It looked like she slipped on baseball pants over her workout leotard.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It was weird. A lasvious old man designed the top half. The 1940's baseball nut of a prude designed the lower half.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
When I saw her with her partner I saw what they were trying to do (he had white shirt and black pants), but there are better ways to do that.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The elimination of hip hoppers Mariah and Blueprint didn't seem out of line. Ironically, both Mackenzee and Malice did well with their respective hip hop numbers.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I thought it was a good episode. I have to give credit where it's due: Tyce has stepped up his game this season. I think we're at the point where at least one girl each week is in the bottom not because she didn't perform well, but because someone has to be in the bottom. However, we aren't there with the guys yet--there are still some objectively mediocre performances there.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I thought both ballroom routines were blah. Alexis had a hurt toe, fine. But I thought the Quickstep sucked. Granted, probably the first time Jasmine ever danced in heels.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Curtis hurting himself and getting to dance an Argentine Tango with none other than Leonardo Barrionuevo was the best case scenario for Hayley. And she took full advantage of the opportunity -- she was fantastic. She seems popular with the voters anyway, having never ended up in the bottom 3, but this is cementing her front runner status. The top girl is still probably Malice (and completely, undeservedly so), but Hayley has a shot to overtake her much like LoFro, Jeanine, and Eliana were able to power past their fan favorite rivals to win.

Malice looked really good in her salsa... for about 30 seconds. Then she looked clueless and appeared to just be standing around whenever Alan wasn't tossing her about. Overall, I'd give her a "D" for her efforts. And yet, no one called her out on it. Remember when Mary Murphy was the mean judge and gave specific critiques about footwork and hand placement? I used to hate her for being so tough on the dancers, but this shrill, screaming version who talks about the dancers and not the dancing is something awful. I miss Mean Mary.

I was surprised that Jasmine ended up in the bottom three, but then again, I have no idea why the judges love her so much. She's just okay to me.

Amy & Fik-Shun had the least creative, least interesting, and least challenging routine I've seen since the infamous Russian Folk Dance. The way the judges carried on about how great it was -- I just don't understand what's going on. The judging seems so blatantly tilted towards certain contestants that I am strongly considering skipping them altogether. I want to enjoy the dancing, not get sick in the stomach as they build up terrible routines because the dancers are judges' pets like Malice and Fik-Shun.

Oh yeah -- "bowling" has got to stop. You know what else has to stop? These terrible, trite and cloying issue dances. That was indulgent and shitty.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Carly Rae was a dud, but at least she kept the short. Erin Andrews was the most aggressively awful judge they've ever had. Her voice is like nails on a chalkboard and she would not shut up. Anna Kendrick had her moments, but was a bit too schticky to warrant a return. But she's pretty gosh darned cute.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I agree Amy and Fik Shun were a bit disappointing this week, though they are probably still my favorite couple.Malece obviously lost steam toward the end, but is still one of the stronger dancers.I thought Jenna did a good job with the hip hop routine, and it seems the women take to that style more easily than the men who are contemporary dancers.My wife and I think Mackenzee and Alan have something else going on between them... Or so we like to think. :D

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Hanson said:
Oh yeah -- "bowling" has got to stop.
After seeing those folks cry about "bowling". I'm hanging up my shoes and selling my ball on Ebay! My wife and I both thought she said bowling and replaying it didn't make it clearer.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I figured out from context clues that Bonnie Story (the choreographer) was talking about "bullying" and not "bowling", but it clearly sounded like "bowling" the entire time.

Incidentally, her daughter tried out in season 4 but didn't make the cut. Apparently, the judges were not "bowled" over.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I find it hiliarious that Mackenzie keeps landing in the bottom 3 and the judges are adamant about not letting her go yet.

Not sure if Hayley is the total package, but I like the way she can move.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I got to watch till Hayley's dance. What a lucky girl. Still haven't watched the rest, will try tonight.Yes, Makenzie is the darling. I stll think the "my backup plan is to be an actress" is resonating badly.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Mackenzie's the girl you want to go to the prom with and get your prom photo taken with, but Hayley might be the girl you want to party with after the prom. :D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hanson said:
Oh yeah -- "bowling" has got to stop. You know what else has to stop? These terrible, trite and cloying issue dances. That was indulgent and shitty.
Bowling? What was that?I like the issues dances when they work. This one didn't work for me.How is Jasmine in the bottom three, dancing for her life?I continue to love Amy and fikshun. He's brilliant and could win it. But they've had a string of dances playing on their cute chemistry, and need something different.I was very surprised by Malece doing hip hop two weeks ago, as she pulled off "swag". Alan was a dud there; wardrobe completely undermining him with those terrible knee-crotch pants. I'm glad to see Blu-print leave. I like him and love his Animation. But he was not up to the level of the show in any other form, and lacked Cyrus's charisma necessary to compensate. Mariah, the blonde crunker...I lost interest there and think she was a good choice to go. The tappers were the least worst options. I enjoyed Curtis but he needs a year or two to mature and develop his stage presence.I hopeful for Nico and Tucker, as they've had some terrific moments. Alan I'm mixed on.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hanson said:
I figured out from context clues that Bonnie Story (the choreographer) was talking about "bullying" and not "bowling", but it clearly sounded like "bowling" the entire time.
Oh. Bullying. I thought there was some Amy Fikshun "bowling" bit I missed :)
Patrick Sun said:
I find it hiliarious that Mackenzie keeps landing in the bottom 3 and the judges are adamant about not letting her go yet.
Im wondering the same thing. But she had a spectacular dance this week, so she's probably safe a bit longer.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I liked Anna going..."You two should make a baby."Goes to show why Cat should finally win an Emmy. But Tom gets to deliver comebacks more often than she does.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks