What's new

Single-season wonders that deserve a DVD release (1 Viewer)

mannix

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
tim
the american girls,flying high,kaz,a man called sloane,house calls,ellery queen
dan august,i'm a big girl now,its a living ,angie,strike force,the devlin connection,harper valley pta,nero wolfe,ladies man,mc clains law,eishied
todays fbi,hagen and the quest

mannix

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
tim
the american girls
flying high
kaz
a man called sloane
house calls
ellery queen
dan august
i'm a big girl now
it's a living
angie
strike force
the devlin connection
harper valley pta
nero wolfe
ladies man
coupling ,the us version
hagen
todays fbi
longstreet

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Wow! Great responses from all!

I've gotta include:

Camp Runamuck
Tammy
Nichols
(I've read so much about this, besides, it stars James Garner!)
Captain Nice
Hot L Baltimore
The Julie Andrews Hour
It's About Time
Get Christie Love!
The New People
(Lost circa 1969 as done by Aaron Spelling)
Adam's Rib (Ken Howard & Blythe Danner do Tracy & Hepburn in a sitcom!)
Our World (Probably one of the most original shows ever made by a network news division. ABC News made a great weekly time capsule hosted by Linda Ellerbee & Ray Gandolf, and made a major blunder in placing it opposite The Cosby Show!)

OK- any more choices?

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Tales of the Gold Monkey, from the people who created Magnum P.I. Another great show from the Universal vault.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

Our World is one of the great one-season shows of all time. I transferred all of them from my off-air recordings a while ago.

Adam's Rib I forgot about but that is one of my favorites. Blythe Danner was so great looking and sexy in that show with that scratchy voice. Way hotter than her daughter IMO.

I have one New People, the pilot (actually 2 versions of the pilot, air and workprint) and that's quite enough for me.

Camp Runamuck and It's About Time were favorites of mine when they were on and I was in elementary school. That's a good age to see them, when you are under 10. Somehow I didn't find them to have the same appeal when seeing them through adult eyes.

Nichols - I have them all but I've not watched them.

Captain Nice isn't a bad show and would make a good release. Buck Henry, who also did Get Smart, was involved. Not as funny as Get Smart but far, far better than Mr. Terrific.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
American High
Brother's Keeper
Frank's Place
It's Your Move
Jennifer Slept Here
On Our Own
San Pedro Beach Bums
We've Got Each Other
Whiz Kids

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Angie
Central Park West
Cliffhangers
Dolphin Cove
Fantastic Journey
Hail to the Chief
Marshall Law
Pacific Palisades
Phyllis
The Quest
Savannah
Second Noah
When Things Were Rotten
A Year in the Life

...and the list goes on.

**sigh**

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Ooooh- forgot about Central Park West! IMHO, the show actually got better when they got rid of Mariel Hemingway and those yuppies and added Raquel Welch, Gerald McRaney and Lauren Hutton. CBS should've given the show more time to grow then, because watching those performers made the show interesting, a throwback to the days of Dynasty. A real missed opportunity. At least creator Darren Star went on to create Sex and the City with Candace Bushnell.

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator
Many good titles...several I never heard of and some I had forgotten.
My list includes:

Fantastic Journey
The Immortal
The Magician
Man from Atlantis
Phoenix
Prey
Primus
The Quest
The Starlost
Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. There are likely others.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
No love for East Side/West Side (1964-64)? The only time George C. Scott did a TV series, the first series to feature a black character as a regular (played by Cicely Tyson), and a who's who of guest stars and supporting players who later became famous (look, isn't that Gene Hackman playing a local cop?).

I believe Paramount controls the rights.

M.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

Actually, no, the distribution rights are owned by the current MGM, formerly UA, now distributed by Fox. Which were distributed by Sony a few months ago. Confusing enough?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Interesting. It was a CBS program, and I could swear there was a Paramount credit when the now-defunct TrioTV aired some episodes a few years back. But my memory could be playing tricks on me.

Like many of the series listed in this thread, it would never be a big seller. OTOH, if Fractured Flickers can hit DVD, I suppose anything's possible. :)

M.

Regan

Auditioning
Real Name
Regan
Hi Michael,

Just discovered this site while trying to find anything new on "Nickols".

Again, for the um-teenth time the subject of really great old TV shows came up over after work drinks last night and "Nickols" was right in there as one of the gems.

I was surprized a couple of years ago, when we first started talking about it (under similar circumstances), that there were several people at the table who remembered and loved it but that there were several others who had never heard or remembered James Garner in such a terrific setting and production. Again with Stuart Margolin (Angle from Rockford Files) and then with Margot Kidder and a really great casting of others ...it was a real winner in my books. Obveously with many others too.

Sometimes the writer's, directing and production crew, and cast just click and there is something that is just plain enduring that comes out. There have been many wonderful series that made it or never made it. The really special ones are those seemingly rare productions where the charaters become more than friends to the veiwer ...almost like family. And a person can hardly wait for the next episode. It was a very different western, light hearted and lightly saterical. James Garner's character seemed to bring a rational and normalcy to the goofyness of others around him.

I couldn't believe when Nickols was dropped after the first season. Over thirty years later, it still comes to mind.

Are you saying you have copies of the whole series?

Are they personal or is it possible to get them somewhere?

Thanks for your lists and posts ...I've enjoyed them.

Regan

Auditioning
Real Name
Regan
My "A Number One" Single Season Wonder: Nickols, 1971-72

James Garner, Margot Kidder and Stuart Margolin (Angle - from Rockford)

Excellent, Excellent western set just after the turn of the twentieth century. James Garner's character rides an early motorcycle, Margot Kidder's is kind of a "girl next door" who just happens to run the bar. And the main villans mum, Ma' Ketchum has the only car in town - and when they drive around, there are always like, twenty people in it.

Comedic but had it's sincere side and is a very credible production, particularly for it's time.

A big leap above Support Your Local Sheriff 'en Gun Fighter but similar vien.

It's just too good not to be released or re-aired.

My fav's to be aquired list:

Nickols
(as above)

Riverboat
(Darren Magavin and a young Burt Renolds, western but about a Mississippi river boat)

Tales of the Gold Monkey
(1981-82, another Single Season Gem, I believe first of the Indiana Jones clones)

McHale's Navy
(My Dad was a U.S. Submariner during WW II but I love PT Boats)

Route 66
(I love Corvette's too ...and the open road)

77 Sunset Strip
(Style, 1960 style)

Hawaiian Eye
(pre-dated "Five oh" by almost ten years and "Magnium" by over twenty)

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator
Pistols n Petticoats with Ann Sheridan (died with Ann Sheridan)
The Girl With Something Extra with Sally Field
Diana with Diana Rigg
Glynis with Glynis Johns
Captain Nice with William Daniels
Mona McCluskey with Juliet Prowse

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
My choices would be -

Mr. Terrific
Captain Nice
Search/Probe
Fantastic Journey
Logan's Run
Otherworld
When Things were Rotten

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks