What's new

Single-season wonders that deserve a DVD release (1 Viewer)

Rusty_W

Auditioning
Mr. Merlin - It's been nearly 20 years since I've seen reruns of it, but I used to love it as much as Voyagers!, but I'm sure it'll be really bad to watch now with an adult mind.

Manimal - Also some 20 years, but I did not like it at all back then and I would love to remember why as it's considered one of the worse TV programs of the 80s, if not of all time.

I'd like to say Herman's Head (but I think that was one and a half seasons) and that other FOX comdey show which is simular in humor about people whom survived a nuclear explosion and is trapped together in a small house. I forgot the name, but I am pretty sure that did not go over a season.

mannix

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
tim
which one of the quest are you referring to the one in the seventies with kurt russell or the one in the eighties with perry king

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
My selection, in this, my first post here at the HTF in nearly three years, is as follows:

The Hoop Life

This television series, which ran for one season on Showtime in 1999-2000, centered on the New England Knights, a fictitious professional basketball team playing in the fictional United Basketball Association--of course, a clear-cut take on the NBA, as such issues as the lockout which had taken place during the 1998-1999 season were touched upon at times in the pilot episode and beyond.

At the heart of the series were three notables: Marvin Buxton, the mercurial-albeit-aging star point guard (Mykelti Williamson); Greg Marr, a defensive-minded forward on the court and a renowned womanizer off of it to the detriment of his wife, Alison (Rick Peters); and Curtis Thorpe, a wonderkund high-school phenom who has elected to forgo college basketball and enter the UBA Draft (Cirroc Lofton).

This was truly and fun series, to me. I recorded, on video tape, all but six of the 22 episodes aired during its turn-of-the-century run on Showtime. I still not only have the tapes, but watch them as well on occasion.

I know Showtime has released some of its well-known television series on DVD, such as Queer as Folk, The L-Word (I have all three season of this one!), Soul Food and Resurrection Boulevard, albeit only the first season of the latter two, IIRC.

Maybe Showtime could bring it upon themselves to release this fine TV series from the end of the 1990s on DVD?

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Oh, yes, and another selection, if I may please make one is...

...Players!

Yes, this one ran one season on NBC from 1997 to 1998. It featured three ex-convicts paroled to the FBI to aid and abet the Bureau by getting themselves into areas where FBI Agents could not quite infiltrate.

The series centered on three male ex-cons: Isaac "Ice" Gregory, as played by none other than Ice-T, who is looked upon as the cerebral leader of the trio; Alphonse Royo, as played by Costas Mandylor, the handsome, ladies-loving muscle of the trio; and Charles O'Bannon, as played by Frank John Hughes, the computer virtuoso of the trio.

Andrea Roth first played the trio's FBI contact during the pilot, which was filmed in New York City (as was the unaired series finale)...only to be replaced by Mia Korf, who played their FBI contact for the duration of the series once the action shifted west to Los Angeles.

It was a very exciting concept and a fine series, IMHO. Each episode had the word CON as a part of it, be it Con Job to Rashocon, just to name a couple.

Sadly, NBC failed to keep up with the series in order to give it the respect and the support it deserved. Thus, as a result, the final two episodes did not air on NBC, which in its stead air some Dick Clark's Video Bloopers show. :frowning:

For nearly a decade, I was hoping this one would eventually make its way out to DVD. It still has not.

This thread is, indeed, a fine idea. May some of these titles see the light of day--be it my posts or the posts of others. Thanks!!! :)

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

I don't know of anywhere you can get them. I got my copies by buying the 16mm prints of the show years ago and transferring them to tape (and now to DVD). The show had midling ratings and it was thought that it would be renewed for the following season after they killed off Garner's character and brought in his brother who would have been a bit tougher. As to whether or not there is any place to get them, search the internet for video traders. I doubt if I'm the only one who has the show. More likely to get it that way than to wait for Warner to release it, seeing as they won't even do season sets for Maverick!

Venice-H

Agent
Corrections: Angie and Savannah both lasted for two seasons. Herman's Head ran for THREE seasons.

Its name is Woops!, and of course it only lasted one season.

I've listed my favorites elsewhere, not that they "deserve" a release or anything like that. Most of them only lasted one season, which tell you a lot about my tastes in TV.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
About Nichols- since James Garner's Cherokee Productions made the show, perhaps if one were to contact Mr. Garner himself about releasing it- he may still own the show and maybe he can try to either put it through Warner Bros. or go through an independent DVD company like MPI, Image, and Anchor Bay.

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator

Mine would be the one with Kurt Russell and Tim Matheson. I do have the DVD that they made of the 2-part episode "The Longest Drive". I spotted it while browsing through the shelves at Best Buy last year.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I would be happy to see Ellery Queen, Quark, Fantastic Journey, and Man From Atlantis. Got to see Fantastic Journey a few years ago on Sci-Fi, and was glad to see it still holds up. Man From Atlantis was hard to watch towards the end of its short run, but i loved the movies and first few episodes. Ellery Queen was a great show, and would have run much longer if not for the death of Jim Hutton IMO.

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator
Voyagers!
Pheonom
The Brady Brides
The Bradys
The Torklesons
Almost Home
The Tortellis
The Bronx Zoo (2 seasons)
The Baseball Bunch
Sanford Arms
Grady
Sanford (2 seasons)

Todd_W_Zimmrman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd W. Zimmerman
A lot of good titles on these lists. I'd add to the list MANCUSO, FBI (with Robert Loggia).

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Most of my single-season shows have already been released on DVD, but here a few unlikely candidates:

Shaft--Richard Roundtree reprised his private eye character after starring in three Shaft films. It would be a cool bonus if they included this short-lived show in a SE boxed set of the Shaft trilogy (never going to happen).

Bakersfield, P.D.--I had all the episodes taped but lost them in a move. Giancarlo Esposito and Ron Eldard made a great comedy team as police detectives, but I doubt this will ever be seen again.

Jeff*AU

Auditioning
Some of these I've seen on earlier lists, some I haven't:

Tightrope - 1959
The Westerner - 1960
Stoney Burke - 1962
East Side West Side - 1963
Arrest and Trial - 1963
Slattery's People - 1964
Dan August - 1970
The Young Lawyers - 1970
The Senator - 1970
Eischied - 1979
A Year in the Life - 1987
J.J. Starbuck - 1987
Shannon's Deal - 1990
Relativity - 1996
John Doe - 2002

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Bay City Blues

A fantastic series by Steven Bochco about a minor league baseball team. This is one that definitely deserves a DVD release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks