Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Vince,

The enclosure was very simple to make I did not use any
fancy wood working to join the pannels. The enclosure is
3/4 MDF with simple glued and clamped butt joints. I didn't
use much internal bracing (as you could see from the photo's).

I didn't use a ton of bracing since the pannels are all
relatively small in size (no longer than 14"). If I were
making a larger enclosure as I will be for the 15's there
will be adequate bracing and I will most likely double up
on the baffle and go for 1.5" thick.

Paul,

I will be more than willing to share the entire buildup of
the new subs and LA's but it's going to be a while.. I don't
expect to start working on the project for at least another
month maybe two.

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
Vince,

A good way to start is to download a freeware simulation program like winisd or subwoofer simulator. Then try a simple sealed and vented box, using the ones on the Stryke website as a starting point. You could pick two that you like - eg. a 85L vented and 50L sealed, then you make a quick 85L vented box. Take off the vent and put some bricks in the vented box to reduce volume and you can listen to the sealed box. Then you decide what you like best. Read up on a little theory and discuss what you are doing on some forums and you will get a great sub ;)

... and when you're done you can get your funky sub up on my site ;)

cheers,
Paul

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
Thanks for the tips.:) So is building a sealed box as easy as just glueing some wood together, and sticking a driver in it? Although bluntly put, is that more or less what it takes? What about foam? Is foam a prerequisite, or can a sealed subwoofer sound fine without it? Thanks again for the help.

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
Vince, in a nutshell: you can do it like that - build a box in a day, get a driver and a plate amp and put it all together. It would be better if you learn a few things first though.

If it's too small you will limit output and need too much power to drive it - also you will lack deep bass. You want to know what the Q is of the sealed box - most people either aim for a Q of 0.7 or 0.5 the latter being bigger. Aim for one of the two and you may then consider using eq.

Stuffing allows you to reduce the volume slightly - say 10 to 20% depending on the density and how much you use.

Check out diysubwoofers.org it is a great place to start

I'm creating a page at the moment with some suggestions on how to start with a first sub project:

http://www.geocities.com/etude316/au...sub_primer.htm

I hope to have it complete over the next few days.

cheers,
Paul

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
dave, the links aren't working :frowning:

ALL:
I have created a yahoo group page where anyone can post images of their DIY audio projects:

http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/DIYaudio_enthusiasts/

If you don't have your own page and would like an easy way to put your stuff online, or even to have an image on the net to refer to when you are posting on the forum, give it a go :)

A

Anthony_Gomez

well..I have been away long enough without posting at HTF (thought you were free from Gomers eh ;)). What a perfect thread to get back in on :D ...especially sine NO ONE except family has seen this sub COMPLETED ...in construction, but not completed.

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
nice work!

what is the driver? is it a custom driver?

I saw those subs on your page ages ago that you were selling - what happened? did you actually sell them and did you get a good price?

cheers,
Paul

A

Anthony_Gomez

Thanks.
That is the Adire Audio Tumult with Stryle 18PRs.
Ya, I have sold all the other subs. I got a fair price as far as re-sale of used DIY subs goes. No where near their "real" value though. I still have some Lambda SB-10s (one paper and one poly which is in the picture) that need a home.

JoeFish

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a build in progress...It's going to be a coffee table sub with a chessboard top. Adire Shiva III, 85l vented.

Click here to see all of the pictures...

Here's what the top looks like so far:

The green stuff is a cover for the sub box. Since I've been using it as a coffee table without the top on it, I didn't want to spill anything and swell the MDF.

-Joe

Chris White

Second Unit
Chris, Can't get the link to work and I can't see the picture

That's odd. It works for me. Can everyone else see the picture and get the link to work?

Geno

Supporting Actor
dang!!!!!
wow that looks wonderful. definately compliments the mains. so when will we get an overall pic of your place to see all your new stuff in place?

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
Chris,

I have checked back and it works fine now - both the image and the link, don't know what happened last time

It is a curious looking sub! Isobarik I presume?

cheers,
Paul

Chris White

Second Unit
It is a curious looking sub! Isobarik I presume?

It is an infinite baffle subwoofer. It sits in a closet behind the tv and vents into the theater room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks